Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook Owner

New Powerbook Owner
m3transporter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 09:34 PM

I switched over from PC a little over a week ago.

Bought myself a 15" Powerbook
1.67 ghz
Superdrive
80 GB
512 Ram

Anyways, i picked up a nice kensington leather laptop bag, and ordered a few things today.

Just ordered

Radtech ScreensavRz Cloth
Radtech OmniCleanz

& a Tucano Neoprene Laptop Sleeve

My next plan is 2 1 gig sticks of Kingston Ram

I ordered the Tucano because when i took my laptop and put it in the leather case, even though it had a seperate compartment for it, i didnt like the way it was. Everytime you took it out it rubbed against the zipper, eh, it works for carrying it though. The Tucano sleeve is just what i needed.

So far, my impressions, i love this thing. I am thinking of getting rid of my pc box, probably next year and upgrading to a nice dual proc g5 with a 30" display

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 09:37 PM

Congradulations on your purchase and welcome to MacNN Forums. If you need any help or have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Agent69

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 09:40 PM

Thanks!

I've been browsing this forum a lot lately and finally decided to sign up.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 05:48 AM

Congrats! Beautifull machine! You'll love every second of it

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 05:55 AM

Congrats though get that ram asap!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

brent0saurus
Sep 5, 2005, 10:48 AM

Hey, i got the same powerbook you have a couple months ago! I got a 1 gig stick of ram from newegg.com It shipped super fast and i'm happy with it. Although lately i've been panicking because my girlfriends new ibook seemed to be running faster than my powerbook (in opening itunes and just felt quicker with little things. but i bet mine could kick her ibook's ass in some ram intensive apps) and i think i've decided that it was because her ibook has no files and i have 3500 songs and lots of photos.
Anyway, here's the link to where i got my ram from. And some advice i can give to you that i just got is to leave your computer on at night because a file clean up process runs between 3 am and 5 am that optimizes your computers performance. If you don't like leaving your computer on at night then you can download these programs that will run the process at your command!

here's the link for the RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820155111
the programs you can download are called Tiger Cache Cleaner and MacJanitor. Both of which are free, but tiger cache bugs you to donate when you start, but offers more than macjanitor.
I wish you the best with your new mac!
don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Brent

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 12:18 PM

Thanks guys,

i am going to order 2 of the sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141330

brent, thanks for the tip on the file clean up process

powerbook911
Sep 6, 2005, 04:03 PM

m3transporter,

I love reading posts like yours. Congratulations on an excellent purchase!! I switched back to Mac 14 months ago, and they have been so enjoyable. You're going to appreciate your Mac every day. Enjoy.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 09:54 PM

Well, today was the last day to return my powerbook....and i didnt...so im in for good. Not like i would have returned it and went on to a pc anyway, but i was considering returning and waiting until the expo to see if prices would go down or new models come out. I didnt see a point in doing so though, i am satisfied with what i have.
My only gripe is ram....i need more . I think im going to shell out the 300 for 2 gigs later on this month.

My screen cleaner and screensaver thingy came in from radtech last week, and my tucano sleeve came in today. The screen cleaner works wonders, and i like the tucano sleeve.

I havn't used the pc box for anything else than playing music in the last 2 weeks....i guess thats a good thing

KenDallas
Sep 13, 2005, 12:04 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase...

I switched over from the PC side in April (almost six months now) and haven't looked back since. Not a single bit of regret. I was a so called "power-user" on the PC side so moving over was a huge decision for me. After doing a fair bit of research I jumped right in. Many of my friends that still use PCs watch in awe when I show them Expose, Spotlight, Dashboard, and many other small features that simply do not exist in the Windows world.

In any instance, congratulations on your purchase and as many on here have already mentioned, get the extra RAM as soon as possible. You will definitely feel the difference.

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks Ken.

I have used pc's extensively since 1995, i dunno if anything comes after power-user....but i probably belong there .

I really do need to get the ram, i am thinking of also picking up a laclie 250 gig firewiere hard drive to store all my music on....i dont really want to stuff the powerbook hard drive with over 40 gigs of music... I didnt really do much research before switching, i just got tired of windows. All the bugs and glitches, everyone i knew with a windows machine complained about something, yet my friends with apples never complained.

Not looking back whatsoever.... well worth the price, escpecially with the student discount and free ipod mini deal.

I do not think i will be switching back to windows anytime soon, or ever. I might need a windows machine for buisness applications, like automotive estimating software that i beleive is not compatible with mac.

I also havn't been able to find a replacement for microsoft streets & trips or Microsoft mappoint. I use them a lot...it would be nice to have something like that on the powerbook considering it goes with me everywhere.

Mack
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 05:26 PM

I used to be a PC "power user," building a new PC every year or so and constantly upgrading to the latest graphics card. Then one day I decided to take that new PC money and buy a Mac. I kept the PC around for all the Windows software I knew I'd need to use all the time. Now its been three years since I built my last PC and about a month since I last even turned on my old PC. There's really nothing I need or want to do that I can't do with my Mac.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 06:12 PM

I just got one of those Tocano bags -- the small briefcase rather than just the sleeve -- at Frys and it's a great fit.

Welcome to the Mac world.

http://www.tucano.it/ENG/html_esterno/index.htm

KenDallas
Sep 13, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
I used to be a PC "power user," building a new PC every year or so and constantly upgrading to the latest graphics card. Then one day I decided to take that new PC money and buy a Mac. I kept the PC around for all the Windows software I knew I'd need to use all the time. Now its been three years since I built my last PC and about a month since I last even turned on my old PC. There's really nothing I need or want to do that I can't do with my Mac.
Glad to know that I am not the only one that hasn't even turned on his PC in over five months. I have been using PC's since the DOS 3.0 days (since 1986 or so) and was hesitant to mention my not even using my PC in almost six months for the fear of not being believe and being labelled a Mac zealot. Many of my PC friends dont believe me when I mention that I simply do not have to have my PC ever since switching to the PowerBook. They simply say that I just dont want to admit that I cant live without a Windows machine in a world so dominated by them.

Reality is such that I have been able to find replacement software (which in most cases is much superior to their PC counterparts) for every piece of software I used on the PC, I have not had to restart my Powerbook in I dont know how long, when I am done working I simply shut the lid and when I want to work I open the lid. Simply put, I find that the my lovely little PowerBook gets out of my way and lets me be productive. Unfortunately I cannot say this of my PC experience. I would even venture to say that I used to have less problems and was more productive during the DOS days than the more recent Windows environment.

My two cents for what they're worth.

KenDallas
Sep 13, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by m3transporter
Thanks guys,

i am going to order 2 of the sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141330

brent, thanks for the tip on the file clean up process

WOW ! I sure woulnd't like to pay this much when a much cheaper alternatives are available. Check out www.outpost.com

RAM on outpost.com seems to be priced more reasonably, check it out.

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 06:21 PM

i've had very good luck with kingston though

KenDallas
Sep 13, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by m3transporter
i've had very good luck with kingston though
Here is Kingston on Outpost for $110 for a 1gb stick after rebate...

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/438...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 07:28 PM

loving my new 15" 1.5 PB, too..got a Tucano bag as well

dumb newb ?...if the max is 1.3 gigs of RAM, and we have 512 installed, how can we put in two I gig sticks? thanks...
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

m3transporter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by audiophilia
loving my new 15" 1.5 PB, too..got a Tucano bag as well

dumb newb ?...if the max is 1.3 gigs of RAM, and we have 512 installed, how can we put in two I gig sticks? thanks...
That is the max on the 12" powerbooks. The 15" have one 512 stick as standard config, which is removable. We have two slots for ram and that one 512 is in one of them. Im taking it out and putting 1gig sticks in each slot.

audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 07:04 PM

logical....

many thanks...2 gigs it is
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

Forum Links
Forum Rules