Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > need REC: External HD format for both Mac & WinPC

need REC: External HD format for both Mac & WinPC
ylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 09:46 AM

I just bought an external HD (internal + enclosure) for my backup at home.
However, I'd like to backup both my iBook and WinPC.

What kind of format that I could use so that both machines could read/write without any size limitation?

Here's what I've tried:
1. MacOSX (journalled) -> unreadable by WinPC.
2. WIN NTFS -> unwriteable by Mac.
3. MSDOS/FAT32 -> able to read/write for both, but file limited to 4gb size.

One way that I've thought is to format it as NTFS connected to a PC and assigned it as a shared folder in the LAN.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2005, 10:18 PM

FAT32 will be your best option. What size HDD are you trying to use? Also, are you trying to format the HDD on Windows or OSX?
( Last edited by B Gallagher; Aug 17, 2005 at 10:35 PM. )
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2005, 08:31 AM

You could also use MacDrive on your PC -- it lets Windows read Mac-formatted disks. http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

ylie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
FAT32 will be your best option. What size HDD are you trying to use? Also, are you trying to format the HDD on Windows or OSX?
It's a 200gb HDD. I tried FAT32, but my 4.7gb DVD image file cannot be copied. Apparently FAT32 has a file size limitation.

I don't mind formatting the HDD on either Win or OSX, as long as both machines could read/write the HDD.

As tomrock mentioned, looks like MacDrive on my PC would be the best option.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2005, 07:50 AM

I'm pretty sure FAT32 has a 4-gig file size limit.

I've used MacDrive for a couple of years on a PC and it works great. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2005, 06:11 PM

Yeah.. MacDrive looks pretty good. Reasonably cheap too.

The alternative I used (just had a simliar problem) was that I wanted to format my NTFS HDD to FAT32 to be read on both PC7s and Macs, as I'm moving my data from a PC to a Mac. I won't have both with me at the same time, so needed some sort of external storage.

I put everything on the NTFS HDD (80GB) onto my iPod (around about 36GB, so it fitted fine on my 40GB iPod), then I used Norton PartitionMagic in Windows to convert the entire HDD to FAT32. A couple of restarts (which you have to go regardless) and it worked fine.

I'm assuming that you were trying to format the drive by right clicking in My Computer and going Format? That's good, but it just doesn't give you as many options.

Up to you what you want to do really... just letting you know you've got more than one option. Unless I've done something wrong, of course.

I think the 4GB limit on FAT32 is limited within the OS-based formatting.

Good luck!
( Last edited by B Gallagher; Aug 22, 2005 at 06:34 PM. )
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 01:53 AM

I have a very similar question.

I have a lot of files on my iBook that I want to move to my PC permanently. I want to put the files from the iBook to an external hd and then to the PC (then I want to keep the hd with the pc always). I'd rather not use FAT32 because of its limitations, which format should I use on the external hd?

I'm assuming that I could just use the MacOSX (Journalled) format on the hd and then write the files from my ibook, then use MacDrive on the PC to read the files but then I'd be stuck with a MacOSX formatted external hd for my PC...

EDIT: I'm trying to avoid using the MacDrive option because I'd be paying for a program that I'd only be using once.

Also, I checked the format on one of my little jump drives, these are formated as "Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)" and they work fine on both my mac and PC. Is it possible to format my external hd in this format, and can Disk Utility do it? If so, what are its limitations?
( Last edited by jaimzedup; Nov 30, 2005 at 02:07 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaimzedup
I have a very similar question.

I have a lot of files on my iBook that I want to move to my PC permanently. I want to put the files from the iBook to an external hd and then to the PC (then I want to keep the hd with the pc always). I'd rather not use FAT32 because of its limitations, which format should I use on the external hd?

I'm assuming that I could just use the MacOSX (Journalled) format on the hd and then write the files from my ibook, then use MacDrive on the PC to read the files but then I'd be stuck with a MacOSX formatted external hd for my PC...

EDIT: I'm trying to avoid using the MacDrive option because I'd be paying for a program that I'd only be using once.

Also, I checked the format on one of my little jump drives, these are formated as "Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)" and they work fine on both my mac and PC. Is it possible to format my external hd in this format, and can Disk Utility do it? If so, what are its limitations?
Use a network cable or Firewire target drive mode.

"Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)" sounds like a fancy name for FAT32.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Use a network cable or Firewire target drive mode.

"Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)" sounds like a fancy name for FAT32.
Could you explain those two methods further?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 02:33 AM

I just realized target drive mode won't work. Same partition format problem.

So a network cable it is. Plug a network cable into both computers, set up file sharing (there are a million howtos on the internet if you need help), and copy.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I just realized target drive mode won't work. Same partition format problem.

So a network cable it is. Plug a network cable into both computers, set up file sharing (there are a million howtos on the internet if you need help), and copy.
I can't really do that either. Both computers aren't in the same place. I'm going to fly home for the holidays soon and I want to bring hd with me.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by jaimzedup
I can't really do that either. Both computers aren't in the same place. I'm going to fly home for the holidays soon and I want to bring hd with me.
The iBook is a highly portable external drive under 5 pounds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules