Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When do you think new Mac Pro cases will come out?

When do you think new Mac Pro cases will come out?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 08:49 PM

I am waiting to buy a Mac Pro until new cases come out. By new, I mean a major change, not just some small changes. They are too big for me, so I'm hoping the next case will be smaller. How long does it usually take for Apple to intro new cases? 2-3 years? How long have the G5/Mac Pro cases been out now?

Thanks!

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2006, 08:56 PM

i wouldnt expect apple to release a new case until next the next major revision, bsically model change, so not for a loooong time

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 10:47 PM

the Mac Pro case is a pretty major change from the G5... on the inside. 2 more hard drives, an extra optical drive, more space for PCIe cards, a better system for installing RAM, etc. and it's pretty much all because they're not using processors that have to be liquid-cooled anymore. Sure, it looks almost the same on the outside as it has since June of 2003, but the design works. it's sturdy, practical, and has that industrial design appeal. I don't see a major design change for a while, until their design philosophy as a whole starts moving in a different direction.

"I start fires!"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 11:02 PM

I'd be surprised if it happened before early 2008, honestly.

As has been said, the Mac Pro case is enough of a departure from the G5 case to essentially call it something entirely different. And with Apple using riding desktop cases for years, I wouldn't use the size of the case as a reason not to purchase one because you'll be waiting a long time if you do.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 12:15 AM

I'll agree with that early 2008 prediction. Even then I think they'll be much the same. Seriously though they will continue to be aluminum, and they will still be a "tower". What kind of changes would you like to see? I know I want Apple to stay the hell away from the gimmicky crap that all the PC manufacturers seem to love. They should strive to keep the design a simple as possible.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 12:45 AM

I don't mind the style, and I like the inside.. but the thing is just too big - width, height, and depth.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 12:56 AM

I don't see why anybody gives a crap about the size of a desktop tower. I mean, why should size be a concern with something you're going to set on the floor or on a desk and not take anywhere? Your TV is probably bigger than the Mac Pro and far less useful/attractive.

The closest thingt to a smaller desktop from Apple you'll probably ever get is the mini. Because decreasing the size of the Mac Pro case, as much as it sounds would be needed to fit your desires, would mean decreasing the expandability enough to put the thing a notch above the iMac, which would basically be like bringing the Cube back. And that aint happening.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk
I don't mind the style, and I like the inside.. but the thing is just too big - width, height, and depth.
Pro tower hardware takes a certain amount of space. No doubt it could be engineered tighter but IMO it should remain reasonably large open and flexible. If one wants cutesy/cool/consumer grade buy an iMac or a Mini, but a pro tower is a solid large piece of hardware and needs to be big enough for all possible components and heat removal.

-Allen Wicks

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 01:24 PM

Buy a low-end Mac mini and put a 2.33GHz Merom in it. Then do the external SATA hack to it, plop on a fast, full-sized SATA hard drive, and you'll have a reasonably zippy computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules