Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just ordered a Mac Pro

Just ordered a Mac Pro
Karpfish
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 10:22 PM

got the 2.66 with:
x1900xt
2GB ram
250GB HD
have a dell 2007 WFP screen already. My iMac just went on ebay. I really cant wait.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 20, 2006, 11:16 PM

Congratulations! When will you get it?

I will be ordering my 3.00 GHz Mac Pro by the end of this week (I hope). I can't wait...
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:53 AM. )

paulinbognor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 07:31 AM

my 3GHz Mac Pro is due by the 6th of December and I ordered it last week Macintosh Sauce I'd get it ordered ASAP otherwise I could see Christmas starting to adversely affect build and delivery times even further.

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 07:56 AM

mine will be here on dec. 4th at the latest, but im hoping for the 27th

i dont even think i can wait that long.....

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 21, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by paulinbognor View Post
my 3GHz Mac Pro is due by the 6th of December and I ordered it last week Macintosh Sauce I'd get it ordered ASAP otherwise I could see Christmas starting to adversely affect build and delivery times even further.
I am hoping to order it anytime by Monday, as I have to wait for my check to clear.
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:53 AM. )

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 25, 2006, 02:34 AM

Woohoo! Just ordered my Mac Pro this evening! I got the smallest HD and RAM, because I am going to add my own later.

MAC PRO,CTO
Z0D8
Custom configuration

3.00 GHz Quad Xeon
1GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-2x512
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
2x16x SuperDrive DL
Airprt Extrm & BT 2.0+EDR
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse
iWorks '06
Mac OS X
Country Kit

Ships by: Nov 28 - Nov 30
Delivers by: Nov 29 - Dec 1
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:54 AM. )

paulinbognor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 11:36 AM

My Expected delivery date of the 24th of November came and went yesterday with no change on my order status page

All this waiting is driving me crazy

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 03:08 PM

I waited a week before they shipped mine (BTO, 2GHz, x1900XT, WiFi/BT, 160GB). Totally hated the wait. But after they shipped, it got here in two days via FedEx. I didn't pay for expedited shipping, go figure.

Sauce, the 3.0 is a total sucker deal. You're paying a lot for a little bit of extra performance. Intel will be releasing compatible chips for your Mac Pro for another two to three years. You'll be able to pop in a 4.0 or a 5.0 in a year or two. Save your cash for that IMO.

paulinbognor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 04:43 PM

Well as if by magic about an hour after my other post my order came up as shipped!!! ...much excitement...until I say that the estimated delivery had changed to the 6th of December

I guess that SOMEHOW the fact that one part is coming from China must REALLY slow down the delivery I hope that I have good luck like you and that it all turns up a week before their estimate but i don't hold out much hope

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2006, 05:47 PM

I ordered mine last week and got it on the day before thanksgiving. I understand the pain in the waiting.... I REALLY enjoy using this machine, because I've had laptops all my life. I think you'll love it especially with the sweet vid card in it. Congrats on the purchase; you wont regret it.

PS - I would suggest that you invest $35 and get the Kensington keyboard (esp if your coming from a laptop) it far better than stock keyboard from Apple.

I feel so smug walking into CompUSA and seeing all those PC's still running Pentium D's and 4's!
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2006, 06:45 PM

Congratulations. You will love your purchase. You already took the most important step so far, making the order and customizing it as you see fit. I have a matias tactile pro keyboard, but like the Apple one since it's a lot quieter. Not sure if your iMac was PPC or Intel-based, but make sure you make the switch to Universal Binaries where permissable. I like to do everything possible to let the machine run at full-speed.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 10:52 PM

the imac was intel,and it just ended for 800 bucks. I wanted more, but i ca deal. My mac pro has been sitting in anaheim since the 22nd, go figure. Its estimated for wednesday, which at this point is hopeful.when i got my imac it showed still being in san fran on the delivery date, then i called and it magically showed up at my door the nex day

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Karpfish View Post
the imac was intel,and it just ended for 800 bucks. I wanted more, but i ca deal. My mac pro has been sitting in anaheim since the 22nd, go figure. Its estimated for wednesday, which at this point is hopeful.when i got my imac it showed still being in san fran on the delivery date, then i called and it magically showed up at my door the nex day
If it makes you feel any better, I got $999 for my Dual G5 2GHz/2Gb/250G/Radeon 9600XT/Airport Extreme box a few weeks ago. It was around $2499 when I bought it around 2 years ago. With the Core 2 Duo and Xeon machines out now, the old machines just don't go for as much as they used to. This is a trend that won't be going away as Intel continues to increase the number of cores and technology generally improves.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 11:13 PM

whatever, its just a little longer that i wait to et more ram. I'm 15, but i can make 100 bucks on a good day, and im self employed. I was offered a job at the apple store, so ill probably work there next summer.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Sauce, the 3.0 is a total sucker deal. You're paying a lot for a little bit of extra performance. Intel will be releasing compatible chips for your Mac Pro for another two to three years. You'll be able to pop in a 4.0 or a 5.0 in a year or two. Save your cash for that IMO.
I don't consider it to be that bad of a deal since the educational price is about $719 to add the 3.00 GHz Xeon processors. Since I live for today, I wanted the fastest machine available today.

Money is really not that important to me, because I learned a long time ago that money isn't the real reason for living. I am not a rich man, but I won't sweat it over a few hundred to get the best performing Macintosh available right now. It's only money - here today, gone tomorrow. Plus, I just got hired as a Substitute Teacher in my city, so I will be working every day while working on finishing my BA in Mathematics (5-12) - going to be a Math teacher. I should be able to add an additional 4 GB of RAM within three months at the most. Once I get more RAM added, then I will switch over to adding more HD space. I want to put 4 - 750 GB or 1 TB (when available) drives in my Mac Pro.
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:55 AM. )

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by RealMac View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I got $999 for my Dual G5 2GHz/2Gb/250G/Radeon 9600XT/Airport Extreme box a few weeks ago. It was around $2499 when I bought it around 2 years ago. With the Core 2 Duo and Xeon machines out now, the old machines just don't go for as much as they used to. This is a trend that won't be going away as Intel continues to increase the number of cores and technology generally improves.
I was very lucky when I sold my Power Mac G4 (dual 1.25 GHz MD) on eBay a few months ago. I got $1000 for it, because it was in mint condition and working so perfectly. It was a great computer, and now someone else is enjoying it. I refused to sell it for less than $1000, because I added more RAM and HD space.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 12:25 AM

Well, have fun. I love my lowly 2.0 - it's plenty for me My sister also finished math but works as a programmer...

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Well, have fun. I love my lowly 2.0 - it's plenty for me My sister also finished math but works as a programmer...
That's funny, because I am a Computer Analyst/Programmer by trade, and I am studying to become a Math teacher. LOL

The 2.00 GHz Mac Pro is probably plenty fast for most people, but since I am working on starting a new line of children's educational software that will be for the Macintosh platform, I need all the computing power I can get.

See picture below... I have big plans for this and now I have to turn it into reality.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 04:47 AM

One reason why I don't buy my products from the Apple store is because I'll save on taxes. There are so many places to buy Apple products and save money.

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 11:11 AM

I get the eductional discount,and then its generally even or slghtly more, but then i know i wont have a problem going to the store for help.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 01:39 PM

The state taxes on my order really hurt - $236.57. Ouch! I could have put that towards a new iPod (video - 80 GB). Oh well... I guess the state government needs my money more than I need it.

Since Apple opened a store in my city, they have to charge our state tax on any of their online orders from here.

Sometimes I wish I had a money tree in our back yard.
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:56 AM. )

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 03:56 PM

Ill sell you a seed for a money tree, only 1,000 dollars.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 06:23 PM

Ill sell you a seed for a money tree, only 1,000 dollars.
ROTFLMRO!
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:56 AM. )

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 26, 2006, 06:27 PM

Is it normal to be "antsy" while waiting for your new Mac? Since I have no Mac right now, I have to use my Windows notebook until I get it next week. That is sheer torture... I may need lots of therapy after not having a Mac for almost three months.
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:57 AM. )

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 06:37 PM

Well if it isn't, at least we're in the same boat. I keep checking the tracking,even though i know it isn't going anywhere.

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 12:06 AM

I'm assuming it does, but ill ask anyway. When apple ships the Mac Pro to you, does the box come in a normal brown shipping box?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2006, 12:12 AM

I'm assuming it does, but ill ask anyway. When apple ships the Mac Pro to you, does the box come in a normal brown shipping box?
Mine did not. Kinda odd.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Forum Links
Forum Rules