Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > An easy way to install OSX 10.2 on G3 beige

An easy way to install OSX 10.2 on G3 beige
lomor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 07:51 AM

This is strange but it works:
- You install your OSX 10.2 on another Mac (G4 for example or iMac). You can use your HD WITHOUT partition;
- install all updates;
- open your G4 and you extract your IDE drive: this is a master driver wirh all jumps.
- go to G3 beige and open it. Extract the master IDE drive and insert your new IDE drive with new OSX 10.2;
- start you G3 beige and you'll have a new incredible system much more stable than default G3 beige installation.

It's incredible but it works very well. No 8 GB limit, no XPost, nothing and nothing black screen.

My new G3 beige has:
  • 2 IDE disk
  • master disk with 2 partition (the first one with OSX and with 11 GB and the other one with 15 GB. This is the old 27 GB from G4-450)
  • slave disk with 12 GB and without partition
  • 768 MB RAM with 3 PC100 (you don't use old 128 MB PC66 with this because I've seen the black screen symptom. You must use 3 equal RAM ... 3 from 64, 3 from 128, 3 from 256)
  • 6 MB VRAM
I don't know why but I suspect that the old 8 GB limit was for installing not for OSX.

You can try.

I don't know about 10.3 but these method is easy to try

Bye

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2004, 08:23 AM

Huh? You should be able to install 10.2 on a Beige out of the box. It worked for me.

10.3 is another matter, but it doesn't sound like you're talking about that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 11:21 AM

Don't do this.

Open Firmware's disk access routines can only read the first 8GB of the disk. If BootX (or possibly even the kernel) is located further in than this, Open Firmware will die and spew an error message, rendering your machine unbootable. The only way to guarantee that BootX and your kernel are located within the first 8GB of the disk is by constraining them to a partition. Both can and have been modified by Apple in System Updates. Once your disk starts getting full, you may find that an update breaks your system and renders it unbootable. You would then have to reformat and reinstall the OS onto a blank disk.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Don't do this.

Open Firmware's disk access routines can only read the first 8GB of the disk. If BootX (or possibly even the kernel) is located further in than this, Open Firmware will die and spew an error message, rendering your machine unbootable. The only way to guarantee that BootX and your kernel are located within the first 8GB of the disk is by constraining them to a partition. Both can and have been modified by Apple in System Updates. Once your disk starts getting full, you may find that an update breaks your system and renders it unbootable. You would then have to reformat and reinstall the OS onto a blank disk.
Cripes..

Still, I know Beige G3's are notoriously tricky to install 10.2 on to. Some take it no sweat, others object. I've tried absolutely everything to get X on to my Beige G3, except this drive trick. I am tempted..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Cripes..

Still, I know Beige G3's are notoriously tricky to install 10.2 on to. Some take it no sweat, others object. I've tried absolutely everything to get X on to my Beige G3, except this drive trick. I am tempted..
Just to be safe, you can do this trick while staying within the 8GB limit. Just partition the drive, and make sure that the partition you put OS X on is within the first 8GB.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 06:53 PM

Hmm my Beige G3 installed 10.2 no problemo. Now 10.1 was a different matter....... How hard is 10.3???

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 03:40 PM

Man, I've tried absolutely nothing and I'm all out of ideas

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
Man, I've tried absolutely nothing and I'm all out of ideas
Are you sure you didn't just give up assuming the machine had stalled, and pressed force-restart? I did it myself many times.

Some machines can take an incredibly looooooooooooooong time to boot up in OS X, either just the first time, or every time . . .

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 10:44 PM

No, I was just joking

lomor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 10:07 PM

Cripes..
Try.
My new G3 (from G4) has 10.2.8 in a partition with 11 GB with last security update. The speed is good, the startup time is good. After one week it runs without crash or kernel panic. Sounds strange but it's true.
It's possible that Apple has changed BootX and kernel with last updates but it's easy to install OSX 10.2 on G3 beige.

Forum Links
Forum Rules