Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone use a docking station??

Anyone use a docking station??
stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 02:11 PM

Just curious... does anyone use a docking station with their Powerbook? I recently got a nice $60 USB KVM switch that lets me go back and forth between my PC desktop and my PB with ease. One issue I'm having is whenever I'm coming or going from my desk, there's 6 wires for me to disconnect/connect each time (DVI->VGA, 2 USB, Ethernet, Firewire, Power). I'd love to have a nice docking station solution to throw it into and have everything connected easily at once but haven't seen many examples except for the Bookendz G4 dock ($244.95 for the '02 G4-DVI model). Anyone had any experience with these or have a suggestion?

Thanks.
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

velodev
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 10:51 PM

I feel your pain. Whenever I want to take the Pbook to the client site I have to unwire, etc. It came to a point that I stopped using the Pbook as my "daily driver".

That price is ridiculous, but if it provides the convenience than maybe you could justify the cost. I used to use a Belkin OmniCube KVM but that was for all the desktops and the one PC (redheaded stepchild). I wonder how it connects to the Pbook when the read of the Pbook has no connectors...

Ah, I just checked it. You have to have a TiBook. Aluminums will not work with it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2004, 02:17 AM

In my experience, the port replicators are a bigger hassle than they're worth. You have to alight them juuuuuust right or the connectors won't seat properly, and because you're pushing in all those connectors at once (connectors whose force characteristics were designed with one-at-a-time connection in mind), it takes a lot of force to dock the computer. I found that it took longer to align the damned port replicators than just to individually plug the connectors I needed.

Note that, no matter what the manufacturer calls them, the devices are in fact port replicators: they're just 4" extension cords in a stiff enclosure. Real docking stations (as only existed for the PowerBook Duo series) rely on a special docking connector on the computer.

tooki

stevek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
In my experience, the port replicators are a bigger hassle than they're worth. You have to alight them juuuuuust right or the connectors won't seat properly, and because you're pushing in all those connectors at once (connectors whose force characteristics were designed with one-at-a-time connection in mind), it takes a lot of force to dock the computer. I found that it took longer to align the damned port replicators than just to individually plug the connectors I needed.

Note that, no matter what the manufacturer calls them, the devices are in fact port replicators: they're just 4" extension cords in a stiff enclosure. Real docking stations (as only existed for the PowerBook Duo series) rely on a special docking connector on the computer.

tooki
Thanks for the responses, Velo and tooki. I agree... $244.95 is an obscene amount for something that should be so simple.

Very true about the Bookendz "dock" mentioned in my post being nothing more than a glorified port replicator. I hadn't thought about the extra pressure being put on the machine by inserting all the connectors at once. I could just imagine... 3 months down the line after shelling out $250 for my pseudo-dock the ports on the back of my TiBook start failing or become worn. Try explaining that to Applecare .

It would be so nice to have a type of docking station port on the "Pro" line of Apple laptops. I think it's also well justified for the people using their Powerbook as a desktop replacement. Yes it would take up valuable real estate within the case, but I think the results for a lot of people would make it worthwhile. This wouldn't have to be present on all PB models. For example, it could be put into a higher PB trim level quite possibly. My Powerbook does just about everything I need it to and I hate that this is one feature that it would not have when compared to a PC equivalent.
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

Hypatia
Apr 13, 2004, 10:44 AM

My TiBook is my only computer and I use it lots at a desktop setup with an external display, etc, etc.

I used the BookEndz dock with my old Wallstreet PB and also with my 2002 TiBook.

I was connecting an ethernet cable, DVI adapter, power cord, USB hub, USB keyboard and my Firewire drives. That's a lot of cables.

The newer docks have two levers. It takes all of two seconds, max, to dock. It couldn't be easier. There isn't any real pressure on the powerbook, and, for me at least, the dock was an advantage because it kept me from accidentally mangling my cables or PB ports.

Yeah, the dock is pricy, but for me it was completely worth it. For the five years I used one.

That said, I'm not using mine anymore. First of all, I'm connecting fewer things routinely. After the Panther Firewire problems I got into the habit of only connecting my Firewire drives when I'm using them. And I got an Airport base station, so there went the printer cable and the ethernet.

Secondly, I like to use the PB in clamshell mode, so I'd have to connect the display separately after docking (and after sleeping the PB) so the dock didn't save any time there.

Finally, the recommended practice is to shut down the PB before docking. Not sleep it, shut it down. The world won't come to an end if you don't, but I can say from personal experience that it's better practice, especially when undocking, to avoid display problems or other anomalies. And I'm too lazy/impatient to sleep the PB everytime I want to use it at my desk.

So now I'm just connecting my powercord, two USB cables and the monitor adapter, and I can live with that.

PS: Can anyone tell me how to get the "Instant vB Code" things working? I have it turned ON in my prefs. Thanks.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 11:38 AM

I have to second the value of the bookendz dock for the TiPB. It was very simple to plug and unplug.

But it does not take me THAT much longer to plug my PB17 into my power, monitor, USBkeyboard/mouse, and ethernet (sometimes I go Airport, so only 3 connectors).

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 12:51 PM

This topic has come up a few times in the past, although you probably couldn't find it in a search.

Personally, I think the dock is a waste of money. I had a BookeEndz ($249) for my TiBook and it was difficult to get it to dock exactly right, as tooki mentioned, especially for the FireWire connector. I ended up selling it on eBay.

With my 12" AlBook, I sometimes wish I had a dock because of the ports on the side. The dock would enable me to route all the cables to the back (desk space is at a premium for me). However, it's still not worth the price. YMMV.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by stevek:
hadn't thought about the extra pressure being put on the machine by inserting all the connectors at once. I could just imagine... 3 months down the line after shelling out $250 for my pseudo-dock the ports on the back of my TiBook start failing or become worn. Try explaining that to Applecare .
I wasn't implying that the force causes any damage to the machine, since the force on each connector is the same whether you're plugging individually or not. I just mean that it can be difficult to insert, since it takes a lot of force. It's easier to just plug individually as needed, IMHO.

And of course the newest PowerBooks make this a moot point, since their ports are divided, making a port replicator rather impractical.

tooki

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

tooki, you were saying the older Laptops had a special port on them so there was only one connection to be made....cant the PCMCIA slot be used for that if someone were to make an adaptor? just a thought, try not to shout too much for my complete lack of technical knowhow!!!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Hypatia:
Secondly, I like to use the PB in clamshell mode, so I'd have to connect the display separately after docking (and after sleeping the PB) so the dock didn't save any time there.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Hypatia. Can't you just connect the sleeping PowerBook to the dock, and then wake up the PB and display by hitting a key on your keyboard (assuming you use a USB keyboard)?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Hypatia
Apr 22, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by escher:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Hypatia. Can't you just connect the sleeping PowerBook to the dock, and then wake up the PB and display by hitting a key on your keyboard (assuming you use a USB keyboard)?

Escher
Well, my dock isn't currently on my desktop--
AND, short term memory and all that--

AND, you're not really supposed to dock when the PB is sleeping--

BUT, IIRC, if you dock the sleeping PB with the monitor connected to the dock, you can't wake the PB with the external keyboard. You have to open the lid and wake the PB, at which point, the display is on both monitors.

To then get the display just on the external display, you have to disconnect the monitor, close and sleep the PB again, reconnect the monitor, then wake the PB with the external keyboard.

The dock was great when I was connecting everything but the proverbial kitchen sink, but now that I've simplified things, I don't use it and truthfully don't miss it.

rsgunther
Apr 22, 2004, 09:30 PM

In regard to docking, I have to say that IBM truly has the best solution. I have a thinkpad T40 that I use for work (and home, typing on it right now). I have a dock / port replicator by IBM at my office with my flat panel, mouse, keyboard, power adapter, etc. all plugged in. When I get to the office, I simply place my thinkpad on the dock. The thinkpad has a connector on the bottom. The thinkpad just sits on top of the dock and the connector hooks up. Everything is connected through the one port on the bottom. It is the best docking solution I have ever seen. The dock is a mini dock & is very small & takes up very little desk space. I am very impressed by this design.

With that being said, I much prefer using a Mac to a PeeCee. I love our PB 15" 1.25 Superdrive that we have at home. However, it is my wife's machine, so primary I use my thinkpad for web surfing & such. I use her PB for our personal finances & etc. Overall, the thinkpad is the best PC laptop overall in my opinion. It isn't a Mac but it is pretty solid for a PeeCee laptop & kind of reminds me of the Pismo design.

Anyway, I don't think you will find a very good solution for the PB because there is no dock connector built into the laptops. I wish Apple would make a dock & install a dock connector onto their machines.

Hypatia
Apr 22, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
Anyway, I don't think you will find a very good solution for the PB because there is no dock connector built into the laptops. I wish Apple would make a dock & install a dock connector onto their machines.
I'm with you this one, rsgunther. I'm hoping, since PBs are so popular for Apple, and laptops are so popular in general, that Apple will have a docking solution coming out.

Maybe with the hoped-for G5 Powerbook?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
tooki, you were saying the older Laptops had a special port on them so there was only one connection to be made....cant the PCMCIA slot be used for that if someone were to make an adaptor? just a thought, try not to shout too much for my complete lack of technical knowhow!!!
No, the PC Card slot (the term PCMCIA was abandoned ca. 1996) could not be satisfactorily used as such. The PC Card would have to provide its own Ethernet, modem, FireWire controller, USB controller, audio interface, and graphics chip, and rest assured, the PC Card interface could not handle the load of all those things. And, somehow, the PC Card would also have to miraculously pump power into the machine.

Not gonna happen. Let alone affordably.

tooki

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 02:50 AM

Dock you say? If by 'dock' you mean a bunch of twisty ties that keep a bundle of cords in place on my desk, then the answer is yes. Twisty ties, the poor man's docking station.

Forum Links
Forum Rules