Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook g4 fan

ibook g4 fan
jmoonb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 04:59 AM

Hey all

Last week was the first time I ever heard my fan turn on! Unfortunately since then, its been goin on every 20 minutes or so for about 5-10 minutes. I have been noticing that my iBook is warmer than it used to be, and considering its cold here in Canada, Im baffled to why its goes on so often.

Anyone else having their fans go on often? Is this normal? The last thing I installed was the panther update and canon printer drivers which gives me a kernal panic half the time I use it. I should get the lastest ones but Im so lazy.

Jung

leffo
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 12:52 PM

I've had my G4 800 for about a week and haven't managed to heat up the machine enough for the fan to kick in. Does anyone know at what temperature the fan kicks in?

Don't know what could be causing your fan to run so often though. Perhaps there's a process taking a lot of juice running in the background?

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 04:36 PM

Mine only ever comes on when I play Warcraft III.

cryon
Feb 25, 2004, 07:27 PM

same here, only with warcraft III
but i know how annoyng a fan can be, i had a pc laptop replaced for that.
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

macmike42
Senior User
Jan 30, 2005, 12:06 PM

My fan only comes on when the 3D card has been in use for upwards of 45 minutes. It's really quiet though, kinda makes my roomate jealous since his Dell laptop fan comes on LOUD every 20 minutes, and he uses nothing but Word and iTunes. (Yes, he knows he needs a Mac, and will probably be buying one as soon as he can afford it)

If your fan is coming on and your iBook is not under heavy load at the time, I would back up all your stuff, take it to an Apple store, and start complaining.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

macmike42
Senior User
Jan 30, 2005, 12:09 PM

Excuse me. Didn't mean to dregde this thread up. Responded to a search result without thinking....

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 07:53 PM

Use the free utility Temperox (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25697) to monitor temperature and fan use (including RPMs). The utility is compatible with newer Mac portables that have the appropriate internal sensors.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 08:39 AM

this one is great as well. http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....=18&search.y=8
this has a lite version with it as well so you can display temperatures in your menu bar. Here are some screen shots.

also My fan never kicked on until I installed a gig of ram then it kicks on when I do allot of video editing or games. Usually turns on around 137-140 F. But There are different variable speeds that the fan can turn on too. This depends on temperature. If you have the hardware test disk and run it from startup you can hear this. Scared me the first time but realized the fan is more than capable of keeping the processor cool. This will also work for MP G5's and has audible alerts so that if you are getting to hot it will let you know.

Floating window.

Menu Bar

and the overview
( Last edited by MARINEOSX; Jan 31, 2005 at 08:55 AM. )
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 03:01 PM

The main difference between the two utilities is that Temperox shows the status of the fans.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 11:09 PM

I'm absolutely floored with my new iBook G4. Compared to my old G3 iBook, which already was quiet to begin with, this new one is dead silent. Haven't heard a fan yet - I can actually use it in class without me feeling like I'm making annoying noise.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I'm hugely impressed with how quiet my iBook is (esp compared with my old Thinkpad that hummed like a hive o' hornets). Only thing is the CLICK of the trackpad button, darn sarnit!

Sminch

macmike42
Senior User
Feb 6, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by sminch:
Only thing is the CLICK of the trackpad button, darn sarnit!
Everyone needs SideTrack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules