Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight and security (not a Tiger support question)

Spotlight and security (not a Tiger support question) (Page 2)
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
yah that is the major plus that does not get reported enough.

does anyone know if they spotlight SDK would allow for things like 3rd parties adding:

PS (launch photoshop)
M tom (mail tom)

etc....
If you search for "tom," you can mail him from the spotlight search results (as demo'd in the online movie), though I'm not positive you can do this without using the mouse.

As far as "PS" goes...if you make an alias of Photoshop and name it "PS," that would take care of the functionality you desire.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 11:48 AM

There's no reason to turn Spotlight off.

1. It doesn't waste resources in the background (it only indexes briefly when files are saved).
2. It works well as a launcher -- faster than navigating Finder through the folders you organized so well (never so well as to not benefit from Spotlight, though).
--open applications
--play a specific song without switching to and navigating/filtering iTunes
--mail someone
--immediately watch a slideshow of a set of pictures in the search results
--immediately add pictures to iPhoto
--etc. etc. etc. (these are only things I could gather from the online movie, there are probably many more uses)

3. It searches content, people! Content of not only text files, but .pdf and more! As you get more and more files on your HD, you might forget the name of one in a long list. Instead of opening file-after-file while searching for it, you can search for SOMETHING you remember in the file's contents. Bam.

osxisfun
Apr 21, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
If you search for "tom," you can mail him from the spotlight search results (as demo'd in the online movie), though I'm not positive you can do this without using the mouse.

As far as "PS" goes...if you make an alias of Photoshop and name it "PS," that would take care of the functionality you desire.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn
I think we're all just dumbfounded that someone wouldn't want -or need- to search for something. Are you saying you have never used the "Find file" function on the Mac?
The only searching I do on my Mac is this:

find -name ".DS_Store" -delete
Agent69

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
The only searching I do on my Mac is this:

find -name ".DS_Store" -delete
And the other Spotlight uses I outlined above? You'd never need to do that?

An additional one I believe is in the movie: You can search for a specific picture and send it through email all through spotlight. No navigating to the folder, opening a new mail message, dragging.

osxisfun
Apr 21, 2005, 05:09 PM

An additional one I believe is in the movie: You can search for a specific picture and send it through email all through spotlight. No navigating to the folder, opening a new mail message, dragging.
cool stuff. i am really looking forward to how 3rd party devs will trick out spotlight even more.

macmike42
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by JCS
A lot of it is also wrong. Just one more week and the NDAs will be lifted...
Perhaps so. I hope I was clear from the beginning that I was only making educated guesses based on my existing knowledge. I have zero experience with Tiger and Spotlight.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 08:39 PM

I don't think so. I keep the files in my home directory well organized. But like I said, just because I have no need for Spotlight doesn't make it bad, but I would like to turn it off if possible. Of course, I might be able to get the same effect by telling it not to index any drives, which someone else pointed out here.

By the way, does anyone know if Spotlight automatically indexes external firewire/flash/USB drives, or does it ask first?
Agent69

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
I don't think so. I keep the files in my home directory well organized. But like I said, just because I have no need for Spotlight doesn't make it bad, but I would like to turn it off if possible. Of course, I might be able to get the same effect by telling it not to index any drives, which someone else pointed out here.

By the way, does anyone know if Spotlight automatically indexes external firewire/flash/USB drives, or does it ask first?
From the site:
Perform a Spotlight search on network-based Home directories in addition to searching local hard drives.
Plural...so probably, considering the pic of the PrefPane only shows exclusions, not inclusions.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2005, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the good discussion everyone...

Originally Posted by bewebste
These security issues are cleary addressed in the Spotlight technology PDF from Apple's site (page 14):

To sum up, Spotlight is running as root, but when another process queries it for results, it will only return results the process has permissions for, so user A won't get results from user B's files when they do a search.
This is interesting. The next question is of course, when you delete a file, is it immediately pulled out of the "index"? Is it "secure" deleted from the index? If someone were using the secure (wipe over the info with random data multiple times) empty trash feature, but it remained in the index... well, that wouldn't be so secure... I would assume apple did this right, but then again, they're swapping passwords to disk now so..

Now not being overly familiar with HFS+ and how this indexing stuff might be working, there may not be a seperate file somewhere to delete, ie, the indexing information may be contained under-the-hood in the file system itself. I guess the question would be-- wherever the index is, and whatever format it might be in.. is it securely wiped or are you leaving some kind of record of your financies behind to be reconstructed by whomever you sell your computer to in five years

W

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by VValdo
The next question is of course, when you delete a file, is it immediately pulled out of the "index"?
I hope so, Spotlight would be pretty useless if it returned non-existant results
-- Jason

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
Quote:

indeed. That, with a bit of effort, should take care of the lack of 'learning' a la Quicksilver that Spotlight presents.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jasong
I hope so, Spotlight would be pretty useless if it returned non-existant results
Well, I guess what I'm asking is if it's wiped off perminently or if it's just unlinked or marked as available as with normal file content. If it's overwritten immediately, is it done in some secure fashion or is it just marked as available space...etc.

W

Forum Links
Forum Rules