Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Automatic cleaning of Safari Cache/history/cookies/autofill

Automatic cleaning of Safari Cache/history/cookies/autofill
andreadeca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 10:35 AM

hi all!

is there a way to clear in one action Safari cache, history, autofill and cookies?

something like the security feature in mozilla where by pressing a single button you can erase all this information?

I can do this with a shell script tha would go in all the correct directories and erase the contents and all, but perhaps i can do all this with Applescript or Automator.

any help?

thanks,
Andrea

proton
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 10:46 AM

Safari menu -> Reset Safari...

In Tiger you can also activate Safari menu -> Private Browsing to avoid Safari recording things while you surf sensitive sites.

- proton

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2005, 10:50 AM

If truly concerned, use Private Browsing in Tiger. Deletes all of that once you quit the app or turn off the feature.
In some apps, Safari Enhancer, you can choose to deactivate the cache all together (which I think helps speed up browsing as well) and to control the number of items, even 0, in the history mode.

As far as cookies, Cookie Muncher is a good way to edit, delete or save the cookies you want and don't want.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2005, 10:50 AM

FYI, if you hit reset Safari, you lose all bookmarks. Not a good idea unless you want to reload them from a backup each time.

andreadeca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 11:20 AM

thanks for the info, however "Reset Safari" is a bit too intensive for me (losing bookmarks is a critical issue).
I'll try that private browsing options.

thanks,
Andrea

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
FYI, if you hit reset Safari, you lose all bookmarks. Not a good idea unless you want to reload them from a backup each time.
It's not exactly a difficult thing to do to drag and drop bookmarks into a folder and then drag them right back in after you hit 'Reset'. Alternately, option-dragging ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist so that you have a copy before hitting Reset is also pretty much dead simple and takes ...like a second to do ... wait 2 seconds: one to copy Bookmarks.plist and one more after you hit Reset to rename the file Bookmarks.plist again so Safari will use it.

If one is looking to reset absolutely everything *except* bookmarks, I'd actually recommend this method over running around trying to clear individual items.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2005, 11:44 AM

Loading bookmarks every time is silly and a waste of time. Especially when you can activate private browsing with one click.

Forum Links
Forum Rules