Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Last Ti quality vs. 15in 1.67

Last Ti quality vs. 15in 1.67
Allenzi35
Aug 13, 2005, 09:36 AM

First of all, I and a perfectionist and I am very picky about quality and flaws.

So I finally upgraded from my 1Ghz Ti, to a new 15in. 1.67 and I must say that I am not at all happy with the build quality of the new one versus my Ti. I guess really I only have two gripes but to me they are valid.

1. The keys on the keyboard are not even. Some of them are higher than others and some of them have bigger spaces between the keys than others. It makes it look really cheap when they are not propoerly gapped and uneven. They all work and the backlight is beautifully lit with even illumination but I just can't help but stare at the uneven keys.

2. The clicker for the trackpad IMHO is defective. It does not have that solid CLICK like the Ti does. It is kinda stiff and has to be pressed hard and doesn't actually make a click. It is very hard to use compared to the Ti. For instance, when you want to click and drag something to put it somewhere else, you have to hold the button down with force or it will drop it before your done dragging. VERY annoying.

Other than those two issues it is flawless and I am very happy. Normally I would not hesitate to return something that is defective but my fear is that I will return it only to recieve one with a dead pixel. This is the first time that I have purchased a laptop that had a flawless screen. My Ti and old ibook I returned the day of purchase and fought tooth and nail to have them replaced because of dead pixels.

So, I will gladly take these two flaws over dead pixels but I just feel like I spent $2200 on a beautiful Powerbook, NOT $750 on a Dell. It should be perfect. All my other notebooks were with exceptions of pixels which were exchanged for flawless hardware including screens.

So is there anyone else with 1.67's that have similar issues or am I alone?

-A

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2005, 09:57 AM

macmike42
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Allenzi35
First of all, I and a perfectionist and I am very picky about quality and flaws.
I'm sorry, but when your first sentence is this one, it just makes me want to punch you in the face!

Seriously though, if you are unhappy, send the PowerBook back!
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Allenzi35  (op)
Aug 13, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by macmike42
I'm sorry, but when your first sentence is this one, it just makes me want to punch you in the face!

Seriously though, if you are unhappy, send the PowerBook back!

You want to punch me because I mispeleld a word???

Allenzi35  (op)
Aug 13, 2005, 01:09 PM

OK ignoring the big long post, (sorry for the rant) what I really want to know is does anyone else have the clicker or keyboard problem or is it a rare thing, I would hate to return it for one with the same problem + more.

macmike42
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Allenzi35
You want to punch me because I mispeleld a word???
Sorry, sarcasm comes across really poorly in text. Just that your sentence proclaiming your perfectionist nature was, well, imperfect...

I have a 14" iBook, and the keyboard is wonderful, none of the spacing problems you describe, and a joy to type on. My roommate has the 2nd-to-most-recent rev of the 15" PowerBook, and the keyboard is simply amazing for a laptop keyboard. If you have a digital camera, could post a shot of your keyboard illustrating the spacing problems you described?

Neither machine I mentioned has a particularly hard to click trackpad button, though I have used some PC laptops with "looser" buttons, and many with "harder" ones.

If your prefer, the new iBooks and PowerBooks both allow you to click and drag by tapping to pad itself. Check out System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Trackpad.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Kyros
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 02:03 PM

You should return it. I have a friend who has the second to last TiBook, and unless the trackpad was significantly improved in the last version, the current AlBooks should have far better ones. My 12 incher's keyboard is flawless, and all the store models I've seen anywhere of the 15 inch are as well.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2005, 02:16 PM

I've never used a 15" PB, but I have a 12" model, and the trackpad button works fine and does not take very much force to use, and yes it does make a solid clicking. If yours does not, I'd say you have a defective model.

As for the keys, the spacing is not THAT bad. If it really bothers you, then you could always learn how to type, and you won't have to stare at the keys then.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:01 PM

Mine PB 15" 1.67 seems to be fine, since they fixed the trackpad problem (the slow tracking that wasn't fixed until 10.3.9)

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:43 PM

My last TiBook model's still flawless after 2 1/2 years of rather intensive use. Trackpad's great, button clicks fine, screen's still bright, no paint flaking or any hardware issues at all. Really!

Only issues: the screen touching the keypad (resolved with a little screen protector) & the heat and the loud fan.

Otherwise it's still a champ. I've seen the AlBooks. Not impressed enough with the build quality. I'm holding out for a PentiumBook!

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 08:36 AM

Certainly, if you are not pleased with the PB, and it was recently purchased, return it. I have a new 15, and although I love the keyboard, and the feel of the keys, they do appear slightly uneven. Having the TI PB before, the keys are much more comfortable on the new models.

Forum Links
Forum Rules