Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > OEM XP Disc

OEM XP Disc
hobb3s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 03:26 PM

I searched for this and didnt see anything about it, but can you use an OEM XP cd with SP2 from NewEgg? Or do i need a non oem version.

Its $89.00 vs $199.00

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2006, 05:34 PM

That depends...

I've seen OEM XP Pro discs at computer shows for $25. The catch is that they are specific to Dell computers (there's something deep in the BIOS that identifies the computer as a "Genuine Dell," and without that, you're hosed.

So it all depends on whether or not this is a generic OEM install disc or not. If Newegg requires you to buy some sort of hardware to get this product, then it's probably legit and you're safe. But do check before buying.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macmike42
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 12:16 PM

OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" in case you didn't know. What this means in essence, is that the software much be purchased with (and presumably for) new hardware.

Newegg usually includes some trivial piece of hardware with the OEM disc in case you buy it without hardware, just so they have all the bases covered. When I ordered an OEM copy of XP Pro from them, the included a free floppy drive cable, to ensure they OEM disc was "purchased with hardware". The floppy drive cable was included as a separate line item on the invoice, with a price of $0.00.

This was a while ago, not sure if they still do it, but it really made me chuckle when I figured out why they sent me the cable. (I actually did have all the parts for the PC I was building in the same order.)

Newegg is very good, they would never sell "vendor locked" OEM discs, but I would check to make sure for that price you are getting XP Pro and not XP Home. Pro is usually just a couple bucks more.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 04:04 PM

on the same note...

i purchased this item
ebay item 7242118696

What you will receive

Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker with your UNIQUE product key.
Authentic Windows XP Home Edition CD
Microsoft owner's manual. (This is a small booklet that comes from Microsoft)
A non-peripheral hardware component. To comply with Microsoft and Ebay policy, an internal cable will be included with the software.
FREE installation TECH SUPPORT
they mention something about sending you a cable with your copy. will it still work on my macbook pro 17in?
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2006, 05:52 PM

The cable makes it "legal" for them to sell you an OEM disc-it has to be sold "with hardware" for them to get away with it. it should work fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 10:08 PM

cool thank you.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 11:54 AM

I purchased an $85 OEM XP disc from NewEgg for my Core Duo iMac..they didn't include any 'hardware' to make it 'legit', but the disc worked perfectly, and all is good so far..

andgarden
May 22, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
I purchased an $85 OEM XP disc from NewEgg for my Core Duo iMac..they didn't include any 'hardware' to make it 'legit', but the disc worked perfectly, and all is good so far..
MSFT changed the rules recently, I think. Now, please tell me you didn't slap the COA sticker on your beautiful new mac. . .

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 04:47 PM

haha absolutely not...that sucker goes back in the shipping envelope and deep in the closet where it belongs...I was even bummed that I had to activate Windows online...I didn't like them thinking that they have another follower LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules