Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking Nightmare

Networking Nightmare
Revolution6000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 03:40 PM

Got my MacBook the other day and tried to use iChat, turns out I need to open a few ports, I try to do so. Done it a few times for my PC and it's easy enough, try it for my Mac and nothing. I test it on: https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe= and the best I can get is Stealth. Now does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong, I'm really close to throwing the thing out of the window.

The router is a Philips SNA6500 by the way.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 08:30 PM

Quite often routers depend on a specific version of Java, or worse, jscript, which is Microsoft's proprietary version of Java script. Did you use the PC or the MacBook to manage the router? The Java thing could be the problem here. You also must open the ports in the OS X firewall-have you done that?

And check this forum back about six months or so-we had a number of threads on iChat and what ports it needed to have open.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Revolution6000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 02:05 PM

I've just used my old PC to try and open the ports and still nothing, I don't have the OSX or even the router firewall running. Tried using bother wired and wireless, still nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules