Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transfer files from powerbook to mackbook pro

Transfer files from powerbook to mackbook pro
spikes2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 02:16 AM

Hello
I got all these files in my old powerbook G4 and needed to move them to my new macbook pro.
Unfortunately the powerbook's main logic board is defective. So the computer doesn't power up. Sometimes when i get lucky it actually comes on for a moment then turns off on its own.
Anyway i was asking if someone could please help me with a tip about how to moves files in such a situation.

Thank you so much

John T.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2007, 03:47 AM

I'm assuming the powerbook is not under warranty?

Take the powerbook HD out, install it into an external enclosure, at least you'll be able to get files that way, but i'm not sure what else (such as ical files, etc).
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

spikes2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 04:27 AM

thanks for your response.
the powerbook is no longer covered by waranty. I was actually hoping that there would be some ways to get it to boot at least for a short period just to set it as target mode.
thank you
John T.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by spikes2000 View Post
thanks for your response.
the powerbook is no longer covered by waranty. I was actually hoping that there would be some ways to get it to boot at least for a short period just to set it as target mode.
thank you
John T.
i am not an expert or anything, but since the unit does not power up, the only option appears to be going to take the drive out and putting it in an external enclosure.
i did this. all i can say is be careful with the internal workings of the laptop as it is very sensetive. if you are not familiar with it, it may be worth it to pay apple to do it...

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2007, 03:04 PM

the ifixit guides are excellent. I used one to help me replace the drive on my old Pismo recently and I was in and out in 20 minutes. The hardest part was finding a hardware store with the small screw drivers I needed. Although, if I had been more patient I could have just ordered them from ifixit.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2007, 07:46 PM

iFixIt is an excellent resource, you might want to check out powerbookmedic.com too.

Like tinkered said, you'll need special screwdrivers, i've replaced the HD in my PowerBook and it took me about 45 mins.

Good luck...
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

deathandtaxes
Jan 20, 2007, 08:37 PM

I've replaced HDs many times. Good 'ol Sears used to sell a package of small screw drivers that work well. If your PB is the aluminun model, not titanium, all you need is a small Philips and one small hex. Since your PB is essentially dead, you don't have to be too careful. If you don't have an external enclosure, you can swap the old drive into your new computer, then connect it to some backup system to retrieve the old files. Then swap back into your new computer. It's a pain, but better than losing files. Are you sure it won't boot in Target Mode? Hold down the T while it boots, then connect to another computer using a Firewire cable. My PB failed recently from a faulty logic board but it would still boot in target mode and it was easy to recover files.
Good luck.

spikes2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 04:09 AM

I guess trying the target mode booting is best and easier.
So i guess i have to get me a firewire cable since i planned to get one earlier anyway.
Again thank you so much guys

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by spikes2000 View Post
I guess trying the target mode booting is best and easier.
So i guess i have to get me a firewire cable since i planned to get one earlier anyway.
Again thank you so much guys
I would look into an external drive case for the PB Hdd. eBay or newegg.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 12:21 PM

Do NOT boot your PB even one more time! Your hard drive and data are at serious risk. Remove the hard drive and install it into an external Firewire 800 drive.

I had the exact same symptoms and waited too long. So far reasonably priced solutions have been unable to access my data. Note that even if Apple will repair it Apple insists on wiping the hard drive without recovering data as part of the repair.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules