Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Report: iOS 7 seeing slower launch uptake than iOS 6

Report: iOS 7 seeing slower launch uptake than iOS 6
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 18, 2013, 01:42 PM

According to one study, iOS 7 experienced slower adoption within its first seven days than iOS 6 did -- though other studies disagree with the claim. Using tracking data over the first week of release, mobile ad network and analyst Millennial Media's ad impressions from iOS 7 devices grew 185 percent per day on average, eventually accounting for 16 percent of all iOS traffic. According to the firm, however, iOS 6 grew an average of 264 percent per day, reaching 35 percent of iOS impressions.

The reasons for the gap can't be pinpointed, but Millennial speculates that the radical (if mostly cosmetic) changes in iOS 7, combined with a handful of mixed reviews, may have deterred some people from making the switch. "Because iOS 7 was such a major update, it seems likely that early adopters downloaded it as soon as possible, but for other consumers, there may have been hesitation after reading about how radical the changes were," the firm states.

To back the theory, the company notes that on an hour-by-hour basis, most people started downloading iOS 7 after 5PM on the first day. "While some consumers may have downloaded the update during work, they most likely saw the major changes and decided they needed to explore the new system away from the pressures of the workday," Millennial says.

The data does conflict with figures produced by Chitika and Mixpanel, though, which claim that iOS 7 installs grew to over 30 percent just 48 hours after launch and is currently sitting at over 70 percent adoption. No clear reason for the discrepancy has emerged, as all three utilize data from app and mobile ad tracking.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM. )

JackWebb
Oct 18, 2013, 03:44 PM

For me I saw that app launches were about doubled on the iPhone 4 so I decided against it. I just have to live with a badged 1 on my settings icon indicating an iOS update from now on.

xomniron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2013, 09:38 AM

In addition to the new, "flat" look, I was not expecting to like iOS 7 on performance issues. I also still have an iPhone 4 -- although the 5s is now compelling enough to consider upgrading -- and I figured it would be slower with the new OS. My experience has been the opposite. My 32 GB iPhone 4 feels more responsive, the battery life is better, plus I like the operational changes and new features very much. It's a win for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules