Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS X 10.0.4 has killed my computer -- Please help!

Mac OS X 10.0.4 has killed my computer -- Please help!
zgall1
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 05:55 PM

I am running OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 on my G4 867. I just recently tried to boot into OS X 10.0.4 (after doing so successfully many times). However, this time, the computer loaded to the "Happy Mac" screen and then a bunch of debugging information came onto the screen on top of the "Happy Mac" screen. The writing said a few things like "panic (cpu 0)" and also had a bunch of hexadecimal writing. I called up my computer store and they said it was likely a problem with the logic board. They said they could try and reset but only in 4-5 business days. They also said that if they reset and it is still not working, they are going to have to replace it.

Two questions

1) Do you agree with their diagnosis of the problem?

2) If you do, do you know how I might go about resetting the logic board myself?

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 06:46 PM

have you tried booting from a CD into 9?

might be worth seeing if you can, and setting the startup disk to 9 and then seeing if you can boot into 9 successfully. if all goes well you can then try setting the startup disk back to X and booting back into X.

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 07:52 PM

Sounds like you had a Kernel Panic.This happen to me a couple of times when I ran 10.0.4
What I did was Restart (force restart if you have to), Zap the Pram (hold down theapple key, option key, p & r keys until your Macie tones 3 times), then I held down apple + "S" keys to boot into single user mode. once you do this you can run a file system check by typing: "fsck" (without the quotes) you might have to do this a couple of times until it says that the HD appears to be OK. at the next promt type "exit" (again without the quotes) this will boot your system as normal.

After this immediatly upgrade to 10.1 this should stop the Kernel Panics.
My pants are fancier than yours!

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 08:46 PM

Ya, it was a kernel panic. My friend helped me identify the problem.

I just held down option at the restart to get to the OS selection screen so I could open the CD drive. I then just put in the OS 9 CD and restarted with the 'C' key held down.

Thanks for all your help.

Zack[/LIST][/LIST]

Forum Links
Forum Rules