Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Seagate momentus harddrive doesn't fit

Seagate momentus harddrive doesn't fit
newmacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:49 PM

I ordered the 160 GB seagate momentus hdd to replace the stock toshiba in my macbook. I've seen the videos and already succesfully installed 2g of ram. When I try to install the hdd it doesn't seat all the way in. When I pull it out I notice one of the pins gets bent after insertion. This happens again after you straghten it out nd it is always the same pin. I thought it was the hdd and I returned it for a new replacement. I have a couple questions.

First is the 44 pin connection compatible with the macbook? The toshiba connection looks different.

Second, the seagate drive is a bit longer in size than the toshiba, is this a problem?

Third, what do I do about the bent pins? The toshiba slides in and out no problem.

Thank you.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 06:04 PM

You bought the ATA (also known as PATA, IDE, EIDE) version of the drive.
You need the SATA (Serial ATA) version of the drive.

I hope you bought it from somewhere that will accept damaged hardware returns.

newmacbook  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 06:20 PM

It is very confusing because I did a lot of research before purchasing and many forums said make sure you get the 5400.3 2.5". On the website a mac user said it worked great in their laptop so I thiught no problem. So it needs to be Serial ATA? Is there any other kind of wording that I can look for so I don't make the same mistake?

Thanks again

urzsite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:42 PM

I could have done the same mistake mate

But since im very very curious for prices, and saw 100.000 ATA 2.5" drives, and the 10 S-ATA 2.5" among them. Was lucky to spot them!

Anyhow, you might want to check if your country even HAS the S-ATA version of 5400.3 (Denmark dosen´t have 5400.3 yet, but plenty-o 5400.3 ATA´s).

A question though, how did the toshiba fly on the Macbook ? and what about acustics ? Could you hear it much ? clicking sound ? whirring loud on load ?

Im just curious..
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by newmacbook
It is very confusing because I did a lot of research before purchasing and many forums said make sure you get the 5400.3 2.5". On the website a mac user said it worked great in their laptop so I thiught no problem. So it needs to be Serial ATA? Is there any other kind of wording that I can look for so I don't make the same mistake?
The Apple MacBook technical specifications page and Apple Store say Serial ATA hard disk drive. Any of the PowerPC laptops from the last ~10 years used ATA/PATA/IDE/EIDE (all synonyms for the most part) drives like the one you bought. If the drive is 2.5" 9.5mm SATA, you're fine. Anything else and it won't fit.

newmacbook  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 03:34 PM

I have a mackbook. So when Mac released the macbook it made the old hardrive from poewrpc's incompatible? It was an ultra ata 100. i guess that was wrong.

For the other poster, no the macbook doesn't make any noise unless its fans kick on and they are loud and don't seem to cool it much at all. It is a "hot" computer but as long as it doesn't break.

I'm in the US. Has anyone in the US put a 160gb seagate hdd in their mack book?

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 03:37 PM

I saw this thread yesterday and it got me to go out looking for a SATA 160 GB hdd for my MacBook. I had looked a couple months ago when I first got my MB, but there wasn't one.

The only SATA 160 GB drive I've seen is made by Hitachi. I ordered the one linked below.

HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 160GB 2.5" Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM at Newegg.com

I looked on Seagate's website and the largest SATA drive they have is 120 GB. If you have a Seagate Momentus 160 GB, it is not a SATA drive and will not work with your MacBook.

urzsite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:23 PM

Newmacbook: Excellent. I will keep the drive that is inside the mac, until S-ATA drives gets a buff (or atleast 200gb+). 80GB is fine for me, as long as I can add as much external storage as I want. I can only speak for myself as not being on the road 24/7.

Cheers
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by newmacbook
I have a mackbook. So when Mac released the macbook it made the old hardrive from poewrpc's incompatible? It was an ultra ata 100. i guess that was wrong.
Yes. The drive connection change is unrelated to the Intel->PPC switch, but it happened at the same time.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 12:00 PM

i made the same mistake and ordered the 160mg seagate ata drive from newegg. my macbooks isn't here yet so i didn't actually try to install it. still, i was charged a restocking fee to return it...oh well.

ordered and received a 120mg seagate s-ata from newegg now -- can't wait for the macbook to get here (just shipped today from suzhou china). considered getting the hitachi but wanted a quiet computer and figure going from my current 80mg on my mac mini to 120mg should be enough for a while.

john

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 07:57 PM

Is the Hitachi supposed to be loud? I just got one yesterday. Haven't installed it yet.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by b11051973
Is the Hitachi supposed to be loud? I just got one yesterday. Haven't installed it yet.
No.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 10:01 PM

i don't know but just based my decision from what i read online.... that while both drives are quiet when just idling, that during access, the hitachi can make a hi pitched whine. from what people have said, it's not very noticeable at all, especially if there's background noise.

but i really want a quiet laptop, as i will use it in bed and i'm the late sleeper and don't want to bother my fiance.

john

Originally Posted by b11051973

uicandrew
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 10:20 PM

2.5-inch Serial ATA hard drive round-up - The Tech Report - Page 1

this has a very detailed review about 2.5" sata hard drives.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 08:18 AM

Also, your system profiler would have told you this...

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 11:45 AM

I got my new 160 GB hdd in my MacBook over the weekend. After installing OS X, all my software and my iTunes library, I still have over 90 gigs free.

spencers
Sep 25, 2006, 01:46 PM

^ good info man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules