Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best way to migrate data to new MacBook Air?

Best way to migrate data to new MacBook Air?
jk079
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2010, 12:02 AM

I've heard that using Migration Assistant over wifi is not the best way to migrate my stuff from my old laptop to my new 11" MacBook Air. What do you all recommend as a less painful alternative?

I'm migrating from an old 2006-era white MacBook to the new 11" MacBook Air. I have a Time Capsule set up, so migrating from there somehow with a USB would be an option.

(I actually could live with doing some of the migration manually. I don't mind redoing some of my settings, or reinstalling some apps, but my main concern is getting my music, photos, and docs over to the new computer with a minimum of fuss. I have about 45 gb of stuff on the old laptop. If that's going to be less painful than trying to get Migration Assistant to work, I'm open to the idea.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2010, 04:16 AM

Get the USB Ethernet Adapter, or live with the fact that it'll take a day over wifi.

The n-standard wifi in the Air and TC is *considerably* faster than the macbook's, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules