Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > NFS shares on OS X - where is the exports?

NFS shares on OS X - where is the exports?
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 09:13 AM

I don't see an "exports" file in the /etc directory.... how do I configure NFS mounts on OS X?

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2005, 09:34 AM

Welcome to the world of NetInfo. OpenDarwin has a lot of good informaiton about it, I know Apple also has some pdf files available, I can't find them at the moment. I have included the link I've always used to set things up below.

FYI: NetInfo is a db that contains all of the configuration information for your mac. Solaris implemented the same sort of thing in Solaris 10. Some of the config files in /etc are used, others are there for legacy purposes.

http://www.opendarwin.org/en/faq/ch02.html#nfs_ni

Best of luck. Post here again if you're having problems setting it up.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2005, 05:04 AM

There's this cool website with lots of amazing information available on it or linked from it. I think it is called google or something. You should check it out.

The very first link when I googled 'nfs export "os x"' gave all the necessary info.

--sam

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:36 PM

Thanks for that amazing breadth of information you brought to my post... you're truely destined to run a help desk in your near future.... Beep! All agents are busy.... please search google thanks! Beep!

AndrewP
Jun 6, 2005, 06:12 PM

The man page on /etc/exports describes the format of the file (man exports).

The man page on nfsd will also shed some useful light on the subject.

Finally.... it's all started on boot by the script in /System/Library/StartupItems/NFS. From this script it looks like NFS on OSX works just like most other BSD-based OSes.... if the /etc/exports file exists and is ultimately in the proper format the startup script will kick off all of the appropriate daemons.

My final word of advice is be very cautious about exporting filesystems with the root user permissions mapped to the root user. This is a gaping security hole and can cause major problems. The O'Rielly NFS book is a very good reference...

Sorry to RTFM you, but all of the info is there... the process of setting up an NFS server is complicated and poses certain security risks - in other words it's well beyond the scope of this forum.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 07:08 PM

AndrewP I don't care if you RTFM me when you've added a good bit of detail to the topic. In fact I'm buying the O'Reilly NFS & NIS book on Amazon. (I love those books) Thanks for the insight.

FYI XFS on FreeBSD has made it's first release... this might be the true answer to my issue if it ports good to darwin.

AndrewP
Jun 7, 2005, 10:44 AM

No problem....

Depending on what you are trying to do you may want to look at smb rather than NFS. I know that it's heresy, but SMB gives you the advantage of user-based (rather than host-based) access control.

Forum Links
Forum Rules