Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Date RSS feed...

Date RSS feed...
rogermugs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 12:57 AM

Gentlemen (and I acknowledge - albiet hesitantly - a few of you may be females)

I have an idea for a simple web project I'd like to start but I need an RSS feed that simply publishes the current date i.e. "January 25, 2010" and that is all preferably updating exactly at midnight New York Time.

Just one post per day...

Anyone know of something like this? Maybe a Twitter account that does this? I've seen twitter.com/itisnow but this updates every minute... i just want once per day...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 01:32 AM

You could setup a very simple WordPress blog and create a cronjob that would post the current date at midnight on each day to a blog post via either email (POP3) or a direct database write. I would go for the latter, it would be pretty easy.

Another option, of course, is to generate your own RSS feed, which probably wouldn't be too hard. I've only worked with RSS parsers, not RSS generators, so I don't have a suggestion based on personal experience here.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 25, 2010 at 01:45 AM. )

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 02:06 AM

i know i could do that... but part of the simplicity of what i want to do is not needing to host anything of my own.
someone has to have already done this... but man i'm looking way to hard at finding nothing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 02:16 AM

I'd be surprised if you found something, because it's frankly a little weird. I'm not clear exactly as to what your objectives are. If it's to query something that returns today's date, that technology already exists in NTP.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 02:37 AM

okay besson.
only because you're clinically insane i'll humor you.

i want a tumblr blog that displays only the current date. meaning i want tumblr to automatically post for me the current date in Month, DD, YYYY format every day. I don't want to do it manually and I'd rather not host something just so i can post to tumblr (a free hosted service)....

any ideas?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 02:42 AM

What you want to do looks pretty easy, actually... You can post to your blog with a simple HTTP POST request:

API | Tumblr

You just need to concoct a script to simulate this POST request. I can help you do this in PHP, which is the language I know best. You can create yourself a cronjob to execute every night this from any machine with PHP installed.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 03:50 AM

or with a date RSS i can just punch that into tumblr's feeds and have it auto post...
i appreciate the offer of help, but i dont even have a computer i run regularly. more importantly i dont live in a country or area with consistent enough internet to be running something of the sort...

anyhow... i'll keep looking.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 04:15 AM

just for the record:

Twitter / daytick

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 AM

just for the record:

Twitter / daytick

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 25, 2010, 09:33 AM

just for the record:

Twitter / daytick

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 02:09 AM

just for the record:

double post win

Forum Links
Forum Rules