Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DirectTV? Cable? Anything better?

DirectTV? Cable? Anything better?
itistoday
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 06:09 PM

My parents, after years of abstinence, want to get real TV. They want to get a lot of good, intelligent channels, and they don't want to pay very much money. Down here in Florida the only options that I'm aware of is DirectTV and Comcast Cable and the like. The best prices that I have been able to find teeter off at around $50/month after all the silly intro-prices expire. Do you guys have any suggestions for any other companies that I should look into? I'd much appreciate it!

Rumor
May 10, 2007, 06:27 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 07:25 PM

I had DirectTV. Hated it. Big storm = no TV. Big trees = no HD. Switched to cable and am very happy with the service.

highstakes
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 07:30 PM

We have Dish now and thinking about switching to digital cable. The reception is horrible during a little bad weather, and the "Americas top 180" channel is full of junk channels. Plus, we are paying $20/month extra for our three receivers.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, is satellite TV really that bad? Even a small storm will make it go? Right now DirectTV seems like a lucrative choice because they're throwing in a free portable DVD player and a DVR thingy (it's like TiVo).

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 10:04 PM

I've had DTV for a couple of years now and it has rarely went out. I'd say maybe 4 times total, for no more than a 1/2 hour at a time.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

I've had Directv for two years, and have lost my signal for less than 45 minutes TOTAL I would say, not counting the day or so I was without it after Hurricane Dennis when I was too lazy to realign the dish. If the dish is correctly installed you shouldn't lose signal in light to medium rain, only in nasty stuff. Now I am currently a subcontractor for a Directv HSP, so you could say I'm biased I suppose. Most people who complain about satellite had a poor installation with a dish that was never properly peaked.

In my area (of Florida) Satellite stomps the cable competition in terms of picture quality and uptime.

Further, being able to realign the dish post hurricane and have a tv operational on generator power the day after is nice, especially since there are areas in NW Florida were without cable service for literally 6 months after Hurricane Ivan.

Now if you do go with Directv, be warned that
1. The free portable DVD player is a cheap chinese built unit, and also isn't provided at installation. It is provided via a mail in offer that you fill out after receiving your first bill.
2. The free DVR is also (typically) free after rebate; $99.99 up front and a $100 mail in rebate.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
I've had Directv for two years, and have lost my signal for less than 45 minutes TOTAL I would say, not counting the day or so I was without it after Hurricane Dennis when I was too lazy to realign the dish. If the dish is correctly installed you shouldn't lose signal in light to medium rain, only in nasty stuff. Now I am currently a subcontractor for a Directv HSP, so you could say I'm biased I suppose. Most people who complain about satellite had a poor installation with a dish that was never properly peaked.

In my area (of Florida) Satellite stomps the cable competition in terms of picture quality and uptime.

Further, being able to realign the dish post hurricane and have a tv operational on generator power the day after is nice, especially since there are areas in NW Florida were without cable service for literally 6 months after Hurricane Ivan.

Now if you do go with Directv, be warned that
1. The free portable DVD player is a cheap chinese built unit, and also isn't provided at installation. It is provided via a mail in offer that you fill out after receiving your first bill.
2. The free DVR is also (typically) free after rebate; $99.99 up front and a $100 mail in rebate.
Wow, thanks for the info Teronzhul! One thing though, it says on their website right now that the DVR rebate is an instant online rebate, which is just fine with me!

Railroader
Banned
May 10, 2007, 11:00 PM

DTV user for about 7 years now. Love it.

I signed up for cable a few years back when I was using a cable modem because the cable TV was basically free. The cable TV was out more often during that few months than my DTV has been out over 7 years. I can't remember the last time I lost a signal it has been so long.

Too bad you can't get the TiVo DVR with DTV anymore. I dread the day I have to part with mine.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 11:45 PM

I do love my DirecTV... BUT! As I have posted here, something is wrong. I've narrowed it down to poor reception on local channels only. That being said, there must be a reason. Since this is ongoing I will keep in touch. Otherwise, it's fantastic.

Rumor
May 11, 2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
We have Dish now and thinking about switching to digital cable. The reception is horrible during a little bad weather, and the "Americas top 180" channel is full of junk channels. Plus, we are paying $20/month extra for our three receivers.
This is the portable DVD player you get. (I got the same one from DTV)

Their DVR unit is the R15

It isn't that great because you cannot pull any of the content off of it nor install a larger HD. For a DVR, the best bet would be Tivo.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

kernokerno
May 11, 2007, 12:19 AM

i have had directv and cable...digital cable is the best so far. i've never had blackouts, with directv you just have to have a very little almost insignificant bad weather and there's no more signal. What's ironic is that almost every channel go away but those shopping-at-home shitty stuff stay on

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 12:34 AM

*n/m* (wishes he could delete posts...)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2007, 02:27 AM

Just to add my bit although it's not completely relevant, here in the UK, we have satellite and cable. Cable is good (although the STBs are terrible) provided it's installed correctly, satellite is perfect unless there's electrical interference near by like thunderstorms.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 02:33 AM

Ironically, I find myself less and less interested in actual TV as the Internet offers the shows more conveniently. You don't even have to hit record — when you want to watch, just sit down and hit play.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules