Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > combining pieces of an mpeg into the whole

combining pieces of an mpeg into the whole
rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2002, 01:41 PM

I got a video in my email from a friend (excerps from his wedding video), only due to size restrictions he could only send it in pieces. I'm looking for a way to recombine the clips into one whole movie. I'm using Entourage in OS 9.2.2.

He says he can post the clips to a news group so I and others can get the clips but they'll still be pieces of the whole. Is there a way to do this recombining thing?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2002, 04:16 PM

Isn't that what iMovie is for? (Not that I've used it, so correct me if I'm wrong)

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

P
Jan 6, 2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
<STRONG>I got a video in my email from a friend (excerps from his wedding video), only due to size restrictions he could only send it in pieces. I'm looking for a way to recombine the clips into one whole movie. I'm using Entourage in OS 9.2.2.

He says he can post the clips to a news group so I and others can get the clips but they'll still be pieces of the whole. Is there a way to do this recombining thing?</STRONG>
You can use Quicktime Pro to stitch the files together. Open the first file in quicktime and move the slider to the end. Now drop the other files on this window in order. Save as, give it a new name but otherwise accept the defaults. Drag the slider back to the beginning and press play. Voila!
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac-Guy
Jan 8, 2002, 01:43 PM

ChunkJoiner might work; I've never tried to join MPEGs with it.
Read more about ChunkJoiner.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Mac-Guy ]
Otis Day?? He loves us!

nobody
Jan 8, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
<STRONG>I got a video in my email from a friend (excerps from his wedding video), only due to size restrictions he could only send it in pieces. I'm looking for a way to recombine the clips into one whole movie. I'm using Entourage in OS 9.2.2.

He says he can post the clips to a news group so I and others can get the clips but they'll still be pieces of the whole. Is there a way to do this recombining thing?</STRONG>
Quicktime or Imovie wont do this very good.
There are two possibilites depending on the way the files were segmented:
if segmented just by cutting, then chunk joiner or rosetta (see versiontracker) will rejoin them properly, because they only must be appended in the correct order.
If segmented by an mpeg editor, you must use mpgtx, a sourceforge project (see mpgtx.sourceforge.net)
I made an os9 port and an OSX port availible.
Both ports are using the clunky interface of a cli - so if you dont like a terminal, just dont donwload, but otherwise the software works fast and reliable for segmenting an joining various kinds of mpegs including mp3, even some support for m2v files is present in the osx-port.

download from http://www.biermann.org/philipp/

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 03:14 PM

Umm, actually QuickTime Pro is the best program Apple has to do what you need. All you have to do is drag the different clips (in the order you wish) into the player window, and remember to save it as a "self-contained" file. That way, you do not need the pieces anymore to play the file.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

nobody
Jan 8, 2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>Umm, actually QuickTime Pro is the best program Apple has to do what you need. All you have to do is drag the different clips (in the order you wish) into the player window, and remember to save it as a "self-contained" file. That way, you do not need the pieces anymore to play the file.</STRONG>
I dont believe this is correct every time:
if the parts are only segmented, quicktime possibly will playback only the first part.
Also in using quicktime for joining playable segments you won get a mpeg1 program stream as the result of the join. for writing a VCD you then must recompress the complete movie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules