Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > FTTH without using "their modem"

FTTH without using "their modem"
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2017, 07:42 AM

Has anyone here successfully configured a wireless router to avoid using the ISP's modem? I will be ordering CenturyLink's FTTH gigbait service and their modems are not the best. I have seen posts on broadband reports of people configuring Asus wifi routers and was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing the same.
45/47

Thorzdad
Dec 15, 2017, 08:41 AM

Are you talking about a standard wifi router, or a router/modem? A plain vanilla wifi router can't perform the tasks of a modem. You'd need a router/modem that can be configured for your service. I suspect that's what's being discussed in the forums...configuring a router/modem to work on a service (like CenturyLink) where it isn't approved.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2017, 11:24 AM

This is the ASUS one poster is using.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/

This is the one I was looking at. According to the manual it supports the needed "VLAN tagging"
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ers/R6400.aspx
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil..._07Aug2015.pdf

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31...modem-required

This the ONT installed at my mom's house down the street from mine.
45/47

P
Dec 18, 2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Has anyone here successfully configured a wireless router to avoid using the ISP's modem? I will be ordering CenturyLink's FTTH gigbait service and their modems are not the best. I have seen posts on broadband reports of people configuring Asus wifi routers and was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing the same.
Yes, for my cable modem. In my case, the only way to do so was to contact the ISP and ask them to set it in passthrough mode. I then installed my own router after the modem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, for my cable modem. In my case, the only way to do so was to contact the ISP and ask them to set it in passthrough mode. I then installed my own router after the modem.
The thread on broadband reports is about not using the provided modem at all. Some of the FTTH modems do not have a coaxial connection, and the ones that do are output for Prism TV. The OP stated he has plugged the cat5e from the ONT straight into the wireless router.
This is the router he is using.

Others are employing a “managed switch” to VLAN tag because the router employed does not support VLAN tagging. The one I am look at does according to the user manual.

I was hoping there were some user who had done the same with FTTH. Cable internet is a different animal since it needs a coaxial connection. FTTH has an optical network terminal that has Ethernet cable connected to the “modem”
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules