Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sam Phillips, R.I.P.

Sam Phillips, R.I.P.
zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 02:39 AM

It's impossible to overstate this man's importance in the development of popular culture, including current rock music.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 12:31 PM

Damn, how did this slide down the page so fast. Sad. He was a huckster, liar, genius, marketing guru, right-place-right-time man. It's hard to imagine the world without Sun Records.

I will be watching Mystery Train tonight in his honor.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
Damn, how did this slide down the page so fast. Sad. He was a huckster, liar, genius, marketing guru, right-place-right-time man. It's hard to imagine the world without Sun Records.

I will be watching Mystery Train tonight in his honor.
I never thought of him as a huckster/liar or marketing guru but there may be things I don't know about him.

For those who aren't familiar, he was the central figure in the most important city at the most important time. He's best known for Elvis/Jerry Lee/Johnny Cash/Carl Perkins/etc., but he also recorded "Rocket 88" with Ike Turner, which many consider to be the first bona fide rock and roll record. He recorded important black musicians, including Howlin' Wolf, long before Elvis came along. If it hadn't been for his studio and his open-ness to developing both black and white idioms, it's hard to imagine where we would be. Everyone from Beatles fans to Clash fans to Nirvana fans and so forth owes him.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 31, 2003, 05:08 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 05:01 PM. )

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
And that's an understatement, if I've ever read one.

R.I.P.

I dunno, I might be overstating the case because he died and I feel like giving him props. He wasn't a performer, and I suppose that even if he hadn't been around, the music would still have evolved, just in a different way. But if you look at things as they actually happened, he's a rather important link in the chain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules