Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > configuring new Mac Pro

configuring new Mac Pro
crystalcove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 04:21 PM

I'm configuring a new Mac Pro system for video editing. I will be starting out editing older stock home/travel videos then hopefully onto more serious projects in the entertainment field. I'm thinking : 4 Gb mem., 250 Gb for OSX, 750 Gb Seagate scratch disc., ATI Radeon x1900xt graphics card, 30 inch Dell monitor, and Final Cut Suite.
Should I wait on a Quad process. and upgrade later or order the quad now? Any suggestions?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 04:54 PM

wait a few weeks if you can. I would expect updated quad-core Mac Pros soon.

Apple product announcements for March? - Business - Macworld UK
Tons of Mac hardware releases for Q2, black iMac on the way? | MacScoop

The older Mac Pros will take the Quad-Chips. =You can buy the cheaper 2-Core CPUs and upgrade later when the 4Core chips are cheaper. =These quad-core chips are still almost $1000 each.

If the Mac Pro line is updated I would expect some good deals.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2007, 06:31 PM

I'd wait and order the day the updated systems are released. Your setup sounds good.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2007, 06:42 PM

At this point it's always a good idea to wait unless you absolutely need a new system now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

crystalcove  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks everybody, I need to digitize some hi8 videos. At first I thought of using my Canon optura xi as an A - D converter, but this may not have the resolution I want. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced capture card I can use in the Mac Pro for this?

Sakino
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 12:31 AM

I have also been waiting out for some time now, I hope something comes along this month. I have been putting away money for the past couple months now. I was hoping for a release last month but it never came. The Mac Pro product line is long over do for an upgrade.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 02:22 AM

Most likely release will be on April 15th, before NAB, to coincide with a new release of the Final Cut Studio.

(Apple have already announced and event for April 15th, it's simply which products will be announced that is in question)
Linkinus is king.

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 05:30 PM

Apple is unpredictable. You could wait, if you are not in a hurry to see what happens in April, or you could get more work done now..
I've updated my site, Drop On by the *New*
Macinfo.com

crystalcove  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 09:14 PM

I have no problem waiting until after May to get this thing. Thanks all! Out for now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules