Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help choosing new Mac for Wife iMac or Mac Pro

Need help choosing new Mac for Wife iMac or Mac Pro
roybfr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 01:58 PM

Currently my wife has a G4 Quicksilver that I have upped the ram to 1.5g and put a Powerlogix dual processor in it. She never really complains about the speed but we play a bit of WOW (me on the PC or on my MB). When I look her screen it is kind of choppy even with things turned down. On the productivity side she is a graphic designer/we developer so she runs CS2, Macromedia suit and a few others things, along with general web browsing. Since CS3 is right around the corner and I just got my bonus I figure now it the time to be nice to the wife.

So the meat of my questions is helping me choose between a iMac 20", iMac 24" and a Mac Pro. I know that some new MP are coming soon but I would be looking at lower end models. While I know there is usually some price drops on the older models, I cant see it being that much since they are only $500 more the a "24 iMac. But I may be wrong. Regardless I am looking for something that will suit her needs, decent speed and the ability to play WOW windowed, probably at 1024*768 with at least some of the graphics turned up. I am making the assumption that the iMac will foot that bill. I have a Dual Core MB and it plays WOW windowsed decently for an integrated low end video card, I have to turn most of the stuff down but it is pretty smooth, worlds better then her G4. Also my wife needs a new monitor. She is currenlty using an 17" LCD that was a hand me down from me, it is older and the colors are not as good as some of the new ones. The imac wins on this as I would feel dumb spending 2500+ on a MB and not spending at least another 500 or more for a good 20"+ LCD.

Just looking for some opinions. The one other things, and I will do some reading on this too is am I better off ordering a 24" to get the 7600 vs just getting it from the store and getting it with the 7300. I know the 7600 is faster but there is also the added cost of freight, plus the lack of instant gratification I would get by just running to the store and getting one lol.

leblancchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 02:45 PM

i just bought a 20" iMac yesterday...and i LOOOOVE IT

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2007, 08:51 PM

wait a few more weeks. The new models are right around the corner. Amazon.com has great discounts (sometimes) also.

Forum Links
Forum Rules