Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stolen iPad? <yawn>

Stolen iPad? <yawn>
andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 AM

For all the stories of someone finding their stolen iDevice, this one crosses it out.

Manlius woman tracks her stolen iPad online, but authorities fail to act | syracuse.com

Granted, she did leave it on the plane, and I wouldn't have given up, but it's obvious an airline employee took it rather than putting in lost and found. It's also stunning that the police did nothing considering she had the address all they had to do was go get it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2011, 11:15 AM

My dad has iPads left on his planes ALL the time. At least once a week.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 04:35 AM

Wow. How are people that careless?

Your dad is a pilot mitchell? That's pretty cool.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 30, 2011 at 11:24 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 30, 2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You're dad is a pilot mitchell? That's pretty cool.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 11:23 AM

You're dad is a pilot mitchell? That's pretty cool.
Or a flight attendant

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2011, 11:27 AM

Wow. How are people that careless?

Your dad is a pilot mitchell? That's pretty cool.
Like in that story, people put them in the seatback pocket and forget about it. More so than a phone, because a lot of people pull out their phones as soon as the plane lands to turn them on/etc.

Yes, for United.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 11:33 AM

Very cool, sorry I didn't know that before. I guess it's common knowledge to the likes of Laminar.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 30, 2011, 11:34 AM

The next time iMitchell sells an iPad in the Marketplace, I'm going to be veeeery suspicious...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 11:43 AM

I would never place my iPad in the seatback pocket because I know people put trash there all the time (and probably worse). What usually happens to all these lost iPads that your dad comes across?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2011, 12:55 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:00 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 01:08 PM

Where do you live el chup (if not south of the border like your name implies)?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2011, 02:12 PM

Very cool, sorry I didn't know that before. I guess it's common knowledge to the likes of Laminar.
Everything is common knowledge to Laminar
I would never place my iPad in the seatback pocket because I know people put trash there all the time (and probably worse). What usually happens to all these lost iPads that your dad comes across?
If they notice it immediately after de-boarding as the flight attendants do their walkthrough picking up trash and cleaning, they'll take it up to the gate agent for them to hold in case the passenger comes back. If they don't come to pick it up before the next departure at that gate, it'll make its way down to United's lost and found in the baggage claim area. They'll tag it with the information from the flight and what seat it was left at for easy reference.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jun 30, 2011, 04:15 PM

Was anyone else initially confused by the term "Manlius woman?"
are you lightfooted?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Everything is common knowledge to Laminar
The Laminar is not confused by Puny Ignorants!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 05:23 PM

The last story I had read, the police didn't want to get involved, either. It wasn't until people on the internet kept calling the police and telling them to do something that they actually went and arrested the guy.

With all the huge cutbacks to police departments, a stolen iPad is pretty low on their list.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The last story I had read, the police didn't want to get involved, either. It wasn't until people on the internet kept calling the police and telling them to do something that they actually went and arrested the guy.

With all the huge cutbacks to police departments, a stolen iPad is pretty low on their list.
Yet an iphone left at a bar isn't low on the list because a corporation wants it back for no reason. I remember the majority of people on the net were cheering Apple and the police back when that fight was going on. But if you read the comments under this story with the lady everyone is hating on the lady; which is ironic.

Big mac
Where do you live el chup (if not south of the border like your name implies)?
I've lived all over the place. The story with the wallet comes from Houston. The story with the police telling me I could get back at somebody and the case would be dismissed happened in a suburb of Spokane Washington.

I thought of another one: A federal agent friend of mine, had a run in with a Pakistani in the middle of the city. He called the police; when they got there they couldn't pronounce the Pakistani's name so as they were talking to him they just referred to him as f***** Bin laden. yes, true story. Texas has some of the worst cops... a year or so ago there was a big story here about how they saw a black guy in a rich white neighborhood walking up to a house. They said he looked suspicious like he was going to break in... so they shot him 14 times in the back. He was unarmed... He was going into his own house.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Texas has some of the worst cops... a year or so ago there was a big story here about how they saw a black guy in a rich white neighborhood walking up to a house. They said he looked suspicious like he was going to break in... so they shot him 14 times in the back. He was unarmed... He was going into his own house.
Same thing happened to a university professor, except for the shooting. Someone saw a black guy entering a home, so they called the cops and he was arrested. The guy was a university professor going home.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
Jul 1, 2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
My dad has iPads left on his planes ALL the time. At least once a week.
I recently lost mine during a flight....
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2011, 05:02 AM

Gah.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 1, 2011, 08:46 AM

I'll admit to leaving my iPad on a plane underneath my seat. Fortunately it was the last flight of the evening and the cleaning crew found it and I got it back the next day.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2011, 09:22 AM

Wouldn't it be a nice feature if you could "pair" your iPhone with your iPad, and as soon as those get separated by more than 30 feet, some sort of alarm goes off ?

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wouldn't it be a nice feature if you could "pair" your iPhone with your iPad, and as soon as those get separated by more than 30 feet, some sort of alarm goes off ?

-t
The same would be nice to do with a Macbook and an iPhone or iPad.

hayesk
Jul 1, 2011, 12:03 PM

I think the cops are more reluctant to help here because she left it there herself. Had she been mugged and had it stolen, they may have been more apt to help.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 09:50 PM

Agreed ^.

I was at my police station ordering a background check, and while I was in line I overheard a woman filing a police report for a "stolen" iPad. She set her iPad down on a bus stop bench, walked across the street to a cafe to get coffee and a sandwich, proceeded to eat the sandwich, came back 15 minutes later and it was "stolen."

The police have better things to worry about, like breaking and entering or battery. Insurance can handle stuff like this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I was at my police station ordering a background check, and while I was in line I overheard a woman filing a police report for a "stolen" iPad. She set her iPad down on a bus stop bench, walked across the street to a cafe to get coffee and a sandwich, proceeded to eat the sandwich, came back 15 minutes later and it was "stolen."
For realz ?

She should have been tarred and feathered on the spot.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules