Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Better HD for Ti 667?

Better HD for Ti 667?
xboater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2002, 06:41 AM

Hey there--

I'm very interested in getting a new TiBook (my 400MHz Lombard just isn't cutting it anymore), but i'm looking for info to help with my decision on which to get.

I don't think I need the 1Gb of memory that comes with the highest-end model, but the larger HD is very appealing.

My question is, is there a better HD out there that I could install? I've heard a little about the IBM Deskstar, but not a whole lot.

How easy is it to install a new HD in a TiBook?

Thanks in advance!

graphics84
Senior User
Feb 5, 2002, 06:55 AM

if anyone knows I would like to know a good place to buy one two...

I just got the 550 and it needs a biger drive really bad

playby
Feb 7, 2002, 10:26 AM

I'm in a similar position.
My 30gigs are going fast.

I'm looking to get the new IBM travelstar 60gig drive but ca't find any online stores selling it. (It doesn't help that I'm useless at findingf my way around this internet thing) I checked Dell.com; couldn't find it. checked IBM, no luck. Pricewatch didn't have anything either. Googlegear only seems to have up to 48gigs

Can anyone provide a link to a site selling this elusive hard drive?

b

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 02:06 PM

The DeskStar is a desktop drive. IBM's laptop drive is the TravelStar.

Your machine will probably come with an IBM drive. My advice to you is to buy the 30-gigabyte configuration and upgrade to a 48- or 60-gigabyte hard drive later. Until you need the space or the extra speed, it isn't worth it to upgrade to the latest and greatest hard drive technologies.

The 60-gigabyte TravelStar is quite hard to find. Dell used to have them. I'm not sure if they still do.

A FireWire hard drive is also great if you don't need external storage everywhere.

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2002, 02:13 PM

Transintl.com has the new 60 gig drives in stock.

Was gonna pick one up, but was gonna check up on them first.

Bacchus
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Phaedon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 02:19 PM

I know this isn't a huge help... but the link is somewhere in here in a post... I went to it a while ago... I cant'find it though. Keep looking...someone already found it
Never thought I'd touch a Mac and now I know I'll never go back

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2002, 02:36 AM

I tried navigating IBM's site about 18 months ago to try and buy a travelstar drive, but their store site was a freak show. Never went back.

lenz
Feb 9, 2002, 06:10 AM

the installation is a breeze....really it's a joke. All you have to do is unscrew the bottom cover, open two screws holding the HD in and put in the new one. Try doing this with a new iBook, it's an absolute nightmanre. You have to completely dissassemble thee damn thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules