Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 tower and speakers

G4 tower and speakers
ARK
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 12:53 PM

Due to the lack of response in the peripheral forum. I am posting this here. Besides I didnt see many responses on it in that forum from my post or others.

Anyway I recently just bought an old dual Ghz G4 and I want to get speakers for it. So which way to go? Pro speakers? +iSub? Soundsticks? JBL Creature?

What did you guys get with your tower? what speaker setup? and how do they hook to the tower. USB or speaker minijack?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 01:02 PM

I just purchased some Yamaha speakers from Amazon and they rock!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d-ons&n=559928

I am not happy with Amazon right now but the speakers are awesome!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 01:08 PM

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Nothing beats anything Klipsch.

If you have the Audiophile card from M-Audio, you can get their 4.1 set which is even better.

And if you have a 3-way y-adapater, get the 5.1 set.

DJG3
Aug 20, 2002, 02:32 PM

I sencond that...All the Klipsch Pro Media Series Speakers are sweeeet for the price. $250 for the 4.1 system. Also try out the Boston Acoustics Media Theater if u want to save a few bux...but not much, heh. I have one of the original BA models (with the largest sub, 2 satellite speakers, and an input for a surround speaker...I dont recall the model # offhand)and it bumps pretty well ( if thats what u want) and sounds great for the price. Also extremely reliable and durable...I've had it for at least 4 years now through college and its still in perfect condition as the day I bought it (had to get something for my new beige G3A/V back then so I bought the top boston acoustics setup since they were the best multimedia speakers at the time cuz u know I had to out do all my gateway buyin dorm buddies. I would, however, definitely go for Klipsch now as far as sound quality and if you want a more powerfull system...just my2cents
( Last edited by DJG3; Aug 20, 2002 at 02:40 PM. )
~DJG3

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 03:09 PM

you know, everyone raves about the promedias. but there's one thing: they're freakin' expensive! i mean, does everyone out there want to spend >$200 on a set of speakers? do people really want 5.1 on their mac? and if you have 4 or more speakers, where the hell do you put them on your desk? do people actually try to arrange these speakers in a surround pattern?

personally, i'm using harman kardon champagne speakers. i compared them side by side with the soundsticks, and i like these better. plus, i'm not too keen on USB speakers. anyway, i suggest you compare a bunch of speakers, like if you have an apple store around you, play around with the speakers they have out. i was at the apple store, and was playing around with the jbl creatures, those sound pretty good.

tr

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 03:17 PM

If you're into bass, get:

Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 - it has a dual 8" sub woofer, and goes down to 25 Hz.

or

Logitech z-560 - single 8" sub and goes to about 30 Hz, but backs lots and lots of punch (you will probably end up turning the dial down to 0 for the sub control).

If you want really loud music, any of the Klipsch will do or the Logitech set above, goes to about 105 db, which will make you deaf.

frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 03:21 PM

I just bought an isub and pro speakers for combined price of 110$. Got the isub from apple for 60$ and bought the pro speakers from ebay for 45$. I have to say I'm impresses with the isub performance especially, as well as the pro speakers. The pro speakers have a good 10watts per channel. I'm using jaguar, and for every isub owner who used previous versions of osX, I must say the jaguar adds fully functional support for the isub (no crackling or sync problems, and now there's a volume control for the isub in the sound pane).

If you like style and good sound. get the isub and pro speakers from apple.

ARK  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by frock83:
I just bought an isub and pro speakers for combined price of 110$. Got the isub from apple for 60$ and bought the pro speakers from ebay for 45$. I have to say I'm impresses with the isub performance especially, as well as the pro speakers. The pro speakers have a good 10watts per channel. I'm using jaguar, and for every isub owner who used previous versions of osX, I must say the jaguar adds fully functional support for the isub (no crackling or sync problems, and now there's a volume control for the isub in the sound pane).

If you like style and good sound. get the isub and pro speakers from apple.
Yeah Im wanting to stay around a more controlled price and get something with the apple name/look on it. ProMedia is fine etc.. but too much money and no apple name. I appreciate the help though.. I was looking for info more towards the iSub/ soundsticks/ pro speakers... possibly the creatures.

So what sounds better? iSub and pro speakers or sound sticks with iSub? Do those even work together?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by ARK:

Yeah Im wanting to stay around a more controlled price and get something with the apple name/look on it. ProMedia is fine etc.. but too much money and no apple name. I appreciate the help though.. I was looking for info more towards the iSub/ soundsticks/ pro speakers... possibly the creatures.

So what sounds better? iSub and pro speakers or sound sticks with iSub? Do those even work together?
Yes, they work together.

But, the point is, those speakers are OK for home and normal use. But if you care about how you hear your music, you will need something more powerful than an iSub and Pro speakers. The iSub is a 5.25" sub woofer that only goes down to 44 Hz, while the Klipsch can go down to 25 Hz. What a difference to be heard. Also you can't crank the iSub up too much at all before it distorts - while with the Klipsch you will go deaf before any distortion occurs.

ARK  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Yes, they work together.

But, the point is, those speakers are OK for home and normal use. But if you care about how you hear your music, you will need something more powerful than an iSub and Pro speakers. The iSub is a 5.25" sub woofer that only goes down to 44 Hz, while the Klipsch can go down to 25 Hz. What a difference to be heard. Also you can't crank the iSub up too much at all before it distorts - while with the Klipsch you will go deaf before any distortion occurs.
Well its for home use.. web surfing, gaming, some design work. So Ill prob go for the pro speakers and isub. So pro speakers vs. soundsticks.. whats the difference?
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2002, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ARK:

Well its for home use.. web surfing, gaming, some design work. So Ill prob go for the pro speakers and isub. So pro speakers vs. soundsticks.. whats the difference?
[/QUOTE

i have the soundsticks... when you buy soundsticks, they come with an iSub (not called iSub I think, but same thing really)..

I absolutely love the soundsticks... they really do sound quality... not the deepest bass ever, but it hummms real nice with the right music/games/audio/video.. and the highs are nice too.. real nice, I'd say...

I've heard the apple 'pro' speakers many times, and I'd have to say there's nothin' pro about 'em... they're dinky little speakers, and even coupled with an iSub, there's not much goin' on in that setup to make it sound good... drowned in bass, yes... quality sound? nah

soundsticks rock, they look stellar next to my setup, chicks are always diggin' on 'em, and umm.. yea... get soundsticks
ice

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 08:20 PM

I would recommend a 3 piece system from Monsoon.

These planar loudspeakers with subwoofer are just about the most natural sounding desktop speakers available.

The MH-502's can be had for $100 or less. If you have the scratch, go for the MM-1000's.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 08:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
Originally posted by ARK:

[/QUOTE

i have the soundsticks... when you buy soundsticks, they come with an iSub (not called iSub I think, but same thing really)..

I absolutely love the soundsticks... they really do sound quality... not the deepest bass ever, but it hummms real nice with the right music/games/audio/video.. and the highs are nice too.. real nice, I'd say...

I've heard the apple 'pro' speakers many times, and I'd have to say there's nothin' pro about 'em... they're dinky little speakers, and even coupled with an iSub, there's not much goin' on in that setup to make it sound good... drowned in bass, yes... quality sound? nah

soundsticks rock, they look stellar next to my setup, chicks are always diggin' on 'em, and umm.. yea... get soundsticks
The iSub and thw sub woofer that comes with the Sound Sticks are very much different.

Souljah
Aug 20, 2002, 11:23 PM

You have a nice stereo system?...run a cable and spend the $ on a good pair of headphones...that way you can pump it all out without the neighbours calling the cops.
In gaming,head phones immerse you in the enviroment..with speakers you'll have to put up with background noise..awww mom you finished vacuuming yet?
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 12:07 AM

Altec Lansing!

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...pID=ATP3&sID=2

Though they were $99 when I bought them you can get them for $79 now (maybe cheaper, I think CompUSA was selling them for $59 a few weeks ago).

These speakers sound absolutely great!

Little Newton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 04:01 PM

Just wanted to cast vote for pro speakers with iSub combo that I find very pleasing....regards
_ _ ___________ _ _
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 04:18 PM

I have soundsticks and the Altec Lansing 641's.

The soundsticks are amazing. They base is great, and the sound is clear, extremely clear actually. However I cannot get to the pain threshold with them.

The 641's are also very clear, just... stressing just here, just about as clear as the soundsticks. But they are analog from the computer, while the soundsticks are all digital from the computer. Plus the soundsticks are harmon kardon.

I can play the soundsticks as loud as they can go without distortion.

I can't do this with the 641's though, because I have a pain threshold, and value my hearing. This leads me to another point, the 641's can be vvveeerrrry loud. I have not tested them on max volume, because after about mid way my ears hurt.

The base on the altec lansing 641's is also excellent. It has many orders of magnitude more base than the soundsticks. When I watched LOTR on them, the wall was shaking with bass set at half of master volume, and master volume at half itself. I mean, the subwoofer is way bigger than my QS tower.

Plus the stereo 2x's mode is great on the 641's.

If I were you, and wanted a kick ass pair of computer speakers, go with the Altec Lansing 641's. They have power, tons of it, and they are clear, and have excellent sound quality.

Besides, the soundsticks are only 2 satelites, while the 641's are 4 satelites.

With the 641's you will want to get independent channels out of your computer. There are two deceont consumer level options for this. The Sonica and the Audiophile 2496. Right now I am debating which to get. The Audiophile 2496 is an internal audio card, it will do the sound processing for you, and it will give you all those 4 channels. The Sonica is a USB solution. It gives you 5.1 for powered speakers. I don't know if it takes over audio processing though.

So, go with the 641's, I mean at 400 Watts they rival home theatre speakers.

The Altec Lansing 641's

Oh, and here is a review on them. The 641s I mean.
( Last edited by 11011001; Aug 21, 2002 at 04:24 PM. )

ARK  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Souljah:
You have a nice stereo system?...run a cable and spend the $ on a good pair of headphones...that way you can pump it all out without the neighbours calling the cops.
In gaming,head phones immerse you in the enviroment..with speakers you'll have to put up with background noise..awww mom you finished vacuuming yet?
Ummm souljah.. nah I dont have that problem. I run my own vacuum since I live by myself.
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules