Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar VM

Jaguar VM
lenz
Sep 2, 2002, 10:12 PM

VM in Jaguar seems to be broken in 10.2. Overtime the VM file grows huge and i have to restart like twice a day. This never happened in 10.1. Anyone experiencing this?

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by lenz:
VM in Jaguar seems to be broken in 10.2. Overtime the VM file grows huge and i have to restart like twice a day. This never happened in 10.1. Anyone experiencing this?
My first two guesses would be

- You have too little memory
- You are running some really 'broken' software (memory leaks galore).

How much memory and what Mac are you using also what 'non-standard' (added after X was installed) software are you running? Not the normal stuff like Office X or Photoshop since if that kinda stuff had leaks everyone would know about it... I'd be looking for something that is 'less than the norm' but something you run all the time.

Dave

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 10:41 PM

I have seen it myself and I have 1.28 gig of RAM. After 8-9 days of uptime I suddenly get disk full error. It still says 1.5 gig free disk space in the Finder. How do I check how big the VM is?

The only way to get the disk space back is too restart the computer. Logging out and then back doesn't solve the problem. I hope Apple fixes this in the 10.2.1 update.

//Rob

Rebel Without a Clue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 12:05 AM

I don't have Jag (yet) but the VM swap files should be stored in "/var/vm" (look, but don't touch ).

My guess is that you're running an app that has a huge memory leak. What apps are you usually running?

The_FrO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 12:17 AM

Here's my /var/vm directory...

total 156256
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Sep 1 20:11 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root wheel 646 Sep 1 20:11 ..
drwx--x--x 8 root wheel 272 Aug 31 04:30 app_profile
-rw------T 1 root wheel 80000000 Sep 1 20:11 swapfile0

Mine doesn't seem to have that problem, and I'm running Jaguar... But my uptime is only about a day.

What applications/processes are you running? Check out the process viewer and see if any applications are eating up memory. Nothing in mine is taking more than 4% memory.

I'm surprised that I only have a 80 meg swapfile. I would have thought they would have a swapfile the same size as physical memory, or allow you to adjust it yourself. Oh well, maybe I'm just too used to NT-based OS's...

~ Fr0

Rebel Without a Clue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by The_FrO:
I'm surprised that I only have a 80 meg swapfile. I would have thought they would have a swapfile the same size as physical memory, or allow you to adjust it yourself. Oh well, maybe I'm just too used to NT-based OS's...
OS X creates swap files as needed (1 80 MB file at a time). So, even if the OS only needs 81 Mb of swap, you'll have 2 80 MB swapfiles in your vm dir.

At least, I think that's how it works.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
I have seen it myself and I have 1.28 gig of RAM. After 8-9 days of uptime I suddenly get disk full error. It still says 1.5 gig free disk space in the Finder. How do I check how big the VM is?

The only way to get the disk space back is too restart the computer. Logging out and then back doesn't solve the problem. I hope Apple fixes this in the 10.2.1 update.

//Rob
Sounds more like you and lenz might be running the same ill-behaved program. I've been running 10.2 since it 1st went GM and this is not a problem on PMG4's (1st Gen) PMG4 Cube's nor PBG4's.

Iike I already stated maybe those who are having this trouble should start listing the Apps (shareware/freeware) that they run all the time. Like I said above, I'm not talking about stuff that comes with the OS nor am I talking about BIG Apps like Office or Photoshop since if those Apps had any issues we'd have already known about it. Also listing the computer you are using would help too. (if it's in your sig I didn't see it since I keep sigs turned off).

Hint for others: If you really want help giving as much info as you can about your system/setup is always a good idea.

D

Forum Links
Forum Rules