Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > First Blood on WGN

First Blood on WGN
zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2003, 08:18 PM

This is the first Rambo movie, before Rambo became a super-hero/brand-name. Anyone looking for an engaging action flick should tune in.

Like Roadhouse, it's one of the better guilty pleasures, a great revenge flick. Stallone plays a disillusioned ex-Green Beret/Nam veteran who runs up against a small-town cop/bully. He ends up in the woods, taking on the entire police force and National Guard with nothing but his wits. It's really quite good - Stallone keeps his mouth shut for the entire flick, until the very end when he's allowed to deliver a really stupid soliloquy. Lots of nice Pacific Northwest footage as well.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2003, 10:41 PM

Yeah, I thought the cliff-diving onto the pines was so well done.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 11:04 PM

stallone with no lines? this must be good.

Adrian!

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Jim_MDP:
Yeah, I thought the cliff-diving onto the pines was so well done.

Well, it was made in 1982. It ain't Renoir and it ain't LOTR, it's just amusing to watch for about the first hour if you're a film buff. But I should've realized that it might only be amusing if you're over 45 and lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time.

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 12:16 AM

"I thought you'd be bigger."

Zig, you are a man after my own heart. I have tried to live my life based on Dalton's teachings. Also one of Sam Elliott's finest performances.

You are, by far, the wisest and most cultured individual on this board.

Oh, and John Rambo's story is truly inspirational. No doubt. Every time my wife pays the neighbors to hold me down and shave my back I ask myself...

WWJRD?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Well, it was made in 1982. It ain't Renoir and it ain't LOTR, it's just amusing to watch for about the first hour if you're a film buff. But I should've realized that it might only be amusing if you're over 45 and lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time.
It was just friendly ribbing...but then you had to combine 'First Blood' and 'film buff'.

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by pooka:
"I thought you'd be bigger."

Zig, you are a man after my own heart. I have tried to live my life based on Dalton's teachings. Also one of Sam Elliott's finest performances.

Oh, and John Rambo's story is truly inspirational. No doubt. Every time my wife pays the neighbors to hold me down and shave my back I ask myself...

WWJRD?
There was a Roadhouse thread some time ago. I never tire of watching it - it's like winning a year's free supply of pork rinds. Some day the French will study it and have Le Roadhouse festivals.

As for First Blood, I've never even seen the sequels. All I know is that when it came out, my girlfriend had just told me she was having an affair with a circus clown. I needed a good revenge flick and First Blood fit the bill. I still think the first hour or so is pretty engaging - the cop portrayals are almost perfect.

By the way, the clown's name was John Gacy.

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Jim_MDP:
It was just friendly ribbing...but then you had to combine 'First Blood' and 'film buff'.

The true film buff knows that Antonioni would've killed for the chance to direct just one episode of The Rockford Files.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 01:58 PM

How can they call it Rambo III if there wasn't a Rambo or Rambo II?

Impatiently waiting for Leonard Part 6 Part 2.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
How can they call it Rambo III if there wasn't a Rambo or Rambo II?

Impatiently waiting for Leonard Part 6 Part 2.
The second movie was "Rambo: First Blood Part II". It was a very different movie from the first one.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules