Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > built-in G5 Bluetooth any better than USB adapter?

built-in G5 Bluetooth any better than USB adapter?
zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 07:45 PM

I'm pricing G5s and wondering if built-in Bluetooth has any performance or other advantage over an ordinary USB adapter?

If not I'll have less need to BTO from the Apple Store.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I'm pricing G5s and wondering if built-in Bluetooth has any performance or other advantage over an ordinary USB adapter?

If not I'll have less need to BTO from the Apple Store.
Other than not using up a USB port I don't think there is any difference. The Apple BT module in my G5 even shows up in the system profiler on the USB bus. Apple's drivers may be better but do the USB add-on ones use a standard driver? I don't know. The one advantage of the USB plug version is that you can take it form machine to machine.

I ordered BT in my dual G5 only because I figured $50 was not much money and I was gonna be waiting extra time for my CTO due to adding my ATI 9800 anyway.

-Jerry C.

macfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 08:11 PM

if u can find a cheap usb version i would get that. even a worker at the apple store said it wasnt worth it. unless u will be using blue tooth continuosly for a keyboard or something u can just use it when u need it with a usb plug
munching magic pills and listening to
repetitive electronic music....

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 08:43 PM

Thanks, sounds like a USB adapter would be more versatile anyway. I don't use Bluetooth yet anyway.

Now my only reasons for needing a BTO would be (a) if I get a 1.8 I want the ATI 9600, and (b) whether I get the 1.8 or 2.0, I might want the hard drive upgrade. An extra $125 isn't bad for an extra 90 GB built-in.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 08:44 PM

I'm using the dlink bluetooth dongle with the bluetooth Apple Mouse & Keyboard on my G5.
They all work perfectly, no problems.
I like the idea that I can remove the dongle and use it on another computer, either Mac or PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules