Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Get wireless connected to my stereo?

Get wireless connected to my stereo?
sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 06:40 AM

I have a wireless connection to my LAN from my iBook and a XP box connected to my stereo. Is there any way to stream the sound output from my iBook to the XP box so I can play my sound output/iTunes on my stereo over the network?

Tnx!

Sniffer gone old-school sig

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2003, 09:05 AM

I've often thought of this myself - a 2 part sound out device driver (one part runs on powerbook, one part runs on machine connected to stereo) would kick ass. Even a USB over TCP/IP shim would be nice cause then I could use my USB -> S/PDIF converter with it. Uncompressed audio is only 150kb/sec - even airport could handle that, or you could integrate FLAC and get it down to the 100kb/sec mark.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 09:44 AM

I was originally thinking if it was feasible to combine features from I.E WireTap and QT Broadcaster or something to make it work trough software.. Would have been pretty useful.

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
I have a wireless connection to my LAN from my iBook and a XP box connected to my stereo. Is there any way to stream the sound output from my iBook to the XP box so I can play my sound output/iTunes on my stereo over the network?

Tnx!
It's not streaming, but you could mount the iBook's hard drive on the XP box, and then use the player of your choice on the XP box to play the music. U sed to do this between two Macs before iTunes had the Rendezvous sharing.

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Raining Down in Texas:
It's not streaming, but you could mount the iBook's hard drive on the XP box, and then use the player of your choice on the XP box to play the music. U sed to do this between two Macs before iTunes had the Rendezvous sharing.
Thanx, but there is one problem with that approach for me unfortunately. I don't know any good mp3 players on the PC side that handles huge mp3 libraries very well, or at least the way I am used to on the mac with iTunes. And what will happen to the app if I put my iBook to sleep and it looses connection to the share?

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 02:47 PM

wont solve your problem, but here's a similar solution for playstation2:

BroadQ

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by LeeG:
wont solve your problem, but here's a similar solution for playstation2:

BroadQ

Lee
It looks pretty cool thought.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 03:21 PM

I think it is possible with this (although it's not a built in feature). Look it up in the frequently asked questions.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules