Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Short circuit error in lid locker button

Short circuit error in lid locker button
sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 12:17 PM

I've had indescribable issues with the mouse pad for over a year. I couldn't possible explain it in any way. What happened was that sometimes (but not often) the track pad went dead, or just stop working for a few second.
Just recently I discovered something odd. Every time I touched the metallic button used for open up the lid, the mouse pad stopped working. I didn't have to push it in or anything. In further investigation when I pushed the button slowly in, I could actually hear the electric noise like in a short circuit error.
I've grabbed some el-tape and have now taped the button to isolate it, and it works perfectly.
But here is the question, which I think will go to those of you that actually have seen how the locker button actually work. Is there any way to fix this? And is there a explanation on what can be wrong? I've never opened my iBook except for ram and airport upgrade.
Thanks in advance.

BTW: It's an late/early 2001/2002 dual USB iBook 600 8MB ATI, with no warranty of course. (It works faithfully in any other way)

Temporally fix:

Sniffer gone old-school sig

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 06:43 PM

I would definitely get that checked. There should be no electronics involved with the latch button itself (just simple springs and a magnet to get the latch out). If it is making contact with some of the wiring or something in there, that's a potentially dangerous situation. You could fry your motherboard, or possibly even start a fire (depending on the exact nature and severity of the damage). Take that one to the shop!

Forum Links
Forum Rules