Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GarageBand performance on an iBook G4?

GarageBand performance on an iBook G4?
Elevin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 01:53 PM

I was just wondering what the performance was like on a 12" ibook. Anybody tried this out yet? I'm about to get an apple laptop, and I had been set on a powerbook, but now I'm not sure again. Thanks for the info,

-Ezra

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Jan 30, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Elevin:
I was just wondering what the performance was like on a 12" ibook. Anybody tried this out yet? I'm about to get an apple laptop, and I had been set on a powerbook, but now I'm not sure again. Thanks for the info,

-Ezra
I have it installed on my 14" iBook G4 and it runs smoothly for me. But I also have my memory maxed out so I don't know how it'll run on a stock system.

Klay2122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 06:01 PM

I got a 14" G4 also but with stock ram and it ran ok...sometimes it slowed or stopped playing the track. But know I got max ram and it runs great, all thoughs little hangups are gone.
Diztantendz coming soon...

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 06:27 PM

Now, when you say runs great...

If I had a 4 minute song, with 3 built in loop tracks, a recorded bass track, a recorded rhythm guitar track, and a recorded lead guitar track... the 1GHZ 14" G4 iBook with 640MB of ram will run ok?

...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 11:55 AM

woohoo! I'm back in the saddle again, after a year and a half mac-less I just got an iBook G4 800 MHz to pretty much just run iLife apps... so this leaves me to this question:

Can I run Garageband and iMovie safely and efficently on the stock hard drive and stock 256MB mem config? My last iBook died because of hard drive issues... so I am pariniod, but if yall have had success w/o investing in a fancy Lacie external, lemme know!

Thanks in advance!

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 12:47 PM

get more RAM and you will be happy...max it out for best performance... I have run garage band on my G3 700 with 640 and it runs great until I get more than 4 tracks or so and then it tells me I don't have a powerfull enough computer and stops on me...oh well but the G4's should be able to run it just fine...as for the fancy external drives...you can get a LaCie 120Gig for $169 so it isn't that bad

just123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 02:17 PM

I have an ibook 12" 800 with 640 MB RAM. When trying to play the example songs (copied to the harddrive) apple delivers with ilife, playback stucks and i get error, that my harddisk is to slow and i should put the cpu to maximum (not automatic). If i switch some tracks silent, playback works.

So if you really want to work with a lot of tracks, rather get a powerbook 15".

generally the speed of the ibook g4 is ok, but it could really be more. I only use it for internet and office, but with mail, safari, firebird and word open you need a lot of patience. With 256 MB RAM however, it is unacceptable - in that config, even my imac G3 500 with 320 MB Ram seemed faster if i ran two or more programs at once.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 09:31 PM

I have the same problem with the supplied tracks in garage band with the Ram @ maximum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules