Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook instead of G5?

12" Powerbook instead of G5?
aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 12:43 PM

I'm trying to choose what desktop machine to get (already have a 23" display), and I keep thinking that a powerbook might be a better choice for me, but I'd like to hear comments about the pros and cons of each. Here's what I'm thinking-

1) speed. I use my computer all day, but I don't do much "heavy lifting" locally, but on a server instead. I doubt I'll feel limited by a 1.33GHz G4, but I'm not sure. I don't think G5's average more than about 1.5x to 2x faster than a 12" powerbook, do they?
2) noise. G5's are quiet, but I love silence, and for that I need a powerbook, right?
3) portability. Every once in a while it'll be nice to carry around the powerbook, but I won't do it too often.
4) expansion. I don't need a huge HD, lots of RAM, a top-of-the-line video card, or PCI slots. So this is a draw.
5) looks. To me they're tied.

What do you all think?

Thanks for helping me decide,
Alex

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 12:56 PM

I think the 15" 1.5 with 128VRAM and 5400HD is more of a desktop replacement seeing how it has a better GPU, 2GB RAM max, FW 800, and a PCI slot. I don't know about your desktop vs notebook question, but I don't really see the use of notebook thats stuck on your desktop all day long except for the few times your planning on taking it somewhere else. If I were you, I'd look to get a 1.6G5 seeing how their prices are really low, and if you go PB and could afford the 1.5 15" then by all means go with that, or atleast the 1.33 15" (although the 12" is a great notebook, the 15" has desktop qualities that the 12" just doesn't have, and thats coming from a 12" owner).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 03:13 PM

i use my 12" all day and it is a great silent working machine. i do graphic design, but no huge files--mostly web art direction. with a 23" display, this machine would be even better.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 03:34 PM

I use my 12" PB along with a 17" external monitor and works great as a desktop replacement. If you have a wireless network, you may find yourself more often then not, taking your laptop to a couch to do some surfing or watch a movie.

Only suggestion I have is to get an iCurve or something to keep your PB cool so the fan does not come on as much.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

McFarmer
Jun 17, 2004, 05:38 PM

I wonder why you're deciding just between a 12" PB and a G5?

Why not e.g. a maxed-out 15" PowerBook instead?
Or a cheap G5 and a cheap iBook for your mobile needs?

I don't know how silent or noisy G5s are in day to day operation, but my Rev C 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook is certainly not silent. Well, the HD is, but the fan is very busy most of the time. Perhaps because it's almost summer and it's hot. But most people on the net seem to agree that the 12" PBs are noisier than the 15" because there is not enough room for cooling hence the fans do have to do more work and come on quite often. It's OK, it's tolerable, but it's certainly not quiet.
From that point of view a 15" PB would suit you better.

Also if you don't intend to carry the PowerBook around that often you will not mind the bigger size and weight of the 15".

I don't know what kind of applications you use, but what you might mind on the road is the poor screen and the poor resolution of the 12" screen (1024x768). The 12" PBs screen is certainly nothing to write home about.
It won't matter to you since you have the 23" display. But on the road when your display is at home it might matter to you - especially since you're 'spoilt' by the 23" display. Comparing both screens side by side will immediately reveal how bad the 12" screen is. There are worse screens out there in the Windows world, but of all the Apple desktop and PowerBook screens, the 12" is by far the worst. Colors are poor, viewing angle is poor and brightness/contrast are poor. Tolerable if you're not very demanding or do mostly word processing, email and web browsing.
The 15" PB's screen however is much better, and closer to the 23" cinema display in quality.
From that point of view a 15" PB might suit you better.

From the overall screen quality, its resolution, the features, noise levels etc. there is no question that the 15" is the much better PowerBook. The only thing the 12" has going for itself is its size and slightly reduced weight. If those two are important to you, go with the 12" PowerBook. In all other cases, avoid it, go with the 15" or 17" PowerBook.

Having said all that, I'd like to add one more thing:
Since you already have a beautiful desktop screen and in case money is an issue, go for the G5 PowerMac. You get a lot more bang for you buck.
For example if you have $2250 to spend and want at least 1GB of RAM you can get a dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1GB RAM and superdrive - or - the lowest end 12" PowerBook with just a combo drive and 1.25GB of RAM. And that does not yet include the DVI -> ADC converter you need.

aabbas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 06:19 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments, esp. McFarmer. I probably should have explained, this is a machine for work. I have authorization to get a dual 1.8GHz G5, or another Mac of equal or lower cost. I have a 15" PB at home and I like it a lot, and it covers most of my mobile needs. But that model is a little too expensive for the current purchase.

I'm considering the 12" PB mostly because of my aversion to noise, so it's good to know that they often turn on their fan to stay cool.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2004, 08:55 PM

just get the G5. That thing will be noticeably faster than the Powerbook even doing mundane things like surfing the web and it will be about 3x as fast doing computationally intensive things.
Of all the Powerbooks to get, the 12" is probably the worst in terms of noise because the fan has to come on so often.

brentsg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 01:03 PM

I don't ever notice fan noise from my 12" PowerBook (rev c). Maybe it's because I am used to enthusiast PC's noise?

Makes me wonder if my fan doesn't work. Everything performs fine though... with no lockups.

B

McFarmer
Jun 18, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by brentsg:
I don't ever notice fan noise from my 12" PowerBook (rev c). Maybe it's because I am used to enthusiast PC's noise?

Makes me wonder if my fan doesn't work.
A good way to test this is by playing a DVD. Get any feature film and watch it in one go from start to finish (about 2 hours or so). Once the film (and literally the music) stops, listen. Is your fan on? At that point mine is on at almost full speed, quite noisy.

Since I plug in my stereo when watching DVDs the sound level is loud enough to drown any fan noise, but I am surprised about its noise every time a DVD finishes.

aabbas, thanks for the clarification.

For work purposes I really would recommend the G5. The dual 1.8 is easily 3 times as fast as the 1.33GHz PowerBook. Not just due to the faster chip(s) but rather due to the faster HD, the much faster bus architecture. That speed is something you will find very welcome in day to day work.

Noise-wise, the G5 would be noisier if all fans are on at full speed. But that should not be the case ever, unless your office gets very hot in summer.
Apple seems to have confirmed that the new PowerMacs all use the 970fx, which means they should run less hot overall and hence be less noisy.
At the end of the day both, the 12" PB and the dual 1.8GHz PM, might almost have the same noise levels.

If you're still concerned, maybe you should post an explicit question in the PowerMac section about the new 1.8 dual. Some users should have them already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules