Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?
erichen
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 01:25 PM

I've ordered my 1.83GHz with hard drive upgrade to 120GB/2GB RAM right after the Macworld 2006 keynote. My estimated shipping date is Feb.15, and the estimated delivering date is Fe.24. What about you guys?

Thank you!
~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 01:27 PM

Mine is supposed to ship on the 7th of february. As far as I know, I'm the earliest in the queue amongst the MacNN peoples. I'll be sure to let you all know if Apple indeed keeps its promise.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 01:54 PM

Yeah, February 15 estimated ship date for me as well.

I originally ordered a 1.83ghz, 7200rpm drive 2gb RAM machine, but called a couple hours later to change my order to 1GB when I realized how much that would save me. I wonder if that bumped me down the wait list at all. In any case, let us know when you get your shipping notification, eh?

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 02:32 PM

I did, oops no sorry no I haven't
Mine is still reading Feb 15 for delivery Feb 23. It would be cool if it would ship in Feb 7 as that is my birthday.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

evildede
Feb 5, 2006, 02:52 PM

I ordered mine on January 19 and the apple store says it will ship on February 15. I paid for the fastest shipping, but I don't see any shipping estimates as to when I'll get it. The shipping type is called 2 day shipping so I was hoping to get mine on the 17 though hearing from you guys it seems like it'll be longer than that!

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 05:28 PM

I ordered my MacBook Pro January 10, 2006 at 11:14 AM PST.
The order is for a 1.67 CTO, 100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200RPM, everything else standard.
Estimated Shipped by February 15, 2006, Estimated Delivery Feb 21, 2006
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 06:46 PM

I ordered my 1.83ghz, 7200rpm drive 1gb RAM MBP right after the keynote and my shipping date is still Feb 15th and arrive on Feb 21st. However my life can not continue until I get my MBP!!!! Please let it ship early!!!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 07:07 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the call from my reseller. I placed my order with them on the 10th, and it was the first one they sent through to Apple. Advantages of going with the reseller is that they get all their Apple shipments next day, and also it supports the local store that helped keep the Mac community alive during Apple's down period.

Last they saw, Feb 15th was the ship date as well, but unknown if that is from in the US or from the overseas assembly plant. I'm guessing I'll have mine sometime from the 17th to the 20th.
<This space under renovation>

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 11:08 PM

I doubt many will ship before late March...

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I doubt many will ship before late March...
based on what?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 12:09 AM

I ordered the 1.67 with the 7200RPM BTO option on Jan. 25 (a late comer). And I still see a Feb. 24 ship date. So I'm not to bad off, seeing as their are two weeks worth of preorders before mine.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 02:16 PM

Dave Hagan said -

"I ordered my MacBook Pro January 10, 2006 at 11:14 AM PST.
The order is for a 1.67 CTO, 100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200RPM, everything else standard.
Estimated Shipped by February 15, 2006, Estimated Delivery Feb 21, 2006"

The same as my order, but I went for the 1.83, beat me by one minute on the order...

Z

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 03:18 PM

Ordered mine Jan. 11th. It should ship on the 15th... I cannot wait.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 09:48 PM

I reckon there will be alot of dissapointed people out there waiting for their machines for a long while...

based on what steve said in the keynote speech: 'get your orders in early' since there will be a huge demand and they wont be able to keep up with it. so i hope you guys are lucky and get it early! want to hear your reviews!!!

even my local apple store is always sold out on 15" PBs because demand for them is still high. That coincides with the beginning of the new academic year here in australia... school and uni students are getting their kit together.

goodluck

robM

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 10:20 PM

not only high demand but many sources are citing that there is shortage of the processors as well.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
not only high demand but many sources are citing that there is shortage of the processors as well.
The processor argument is BS. It's the same processor as in the iMacs. You can go to your local Apple Store and buy one of those right now, and they are shipping "within 24 hours" online.

As for high demand...that remains to be seen. What is "high" anyway? Apparently not so high as to prevent today's 6 percent slip in share prices...

With Intel making the motherboards here, and most of the other parts being pretty standard, I don't expect a long wait time on these.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 11:08 PM

Looks like I ordered first by a few minutes, at 11:10AM on Keynote day, but I believe that the leasing I set up slowed its date down a couple of days. Same here on the 21st arrival date. I don't see anyone with a sooner date in the U.S. than this. I doubt a retailer will get it any sooner, as they're going to be shipped from HK directly to customers. Those wondering can go to http://www.apple.com/orderstatus/ to see their est. ship date.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by John123
based on what?
Apple history - when was the last time any new designed Apple notebook shipped (in quanitity) on time? Remember the 12" and 17" when they were first announced? The TI PowerBook? The first iBook? All took months before Apple was even close to meeting demand.

Plus now they have all of the PC competition with a limited supply of Core Duo chips.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 12:29 AM

These units will ship in this ball park noted. Perhaps they won't be able to deliver new orders right w/in 24 hours for a while, but I bet it won't be too long.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Looks like I ordered first by a few minutes, at 11:10AM on Keynote day, but I believe that the leasing I set up slowed its date down a couple of days. Same here on the 21st arrival date. I don't see anyone with a sooner date in the U.S. than this. I doubt a retailer will get it any sooner, as they're going to be shipped from HK directly to customers. Those wondering can go to http://www.apple.com/orderstatus/ to see their est. ship date.
I hate to bust your bubble, but I got you beat by 3 minutes (11:07 AM PST). I highly doubt I'm even that early since I had it configured, made a couple phone calls, and had to wait at least 10 minutes for someone to call me back before submitting. The clock may have started from when it was first placed in my cart and I just had left the browser open, but I'm just not sure. Sorry, but I couldn't resist

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 02:01 AM

Apple history - when was the last time any new designed Apple notebook shipped (in quanitity) on time? Remember the 12" and 17" when they were first announced? The TI PowerBook? The first iBook? All took months before Apple was even close to meeting demand.

Plus now they have all of the PC competition with a limited supply of Core Duo chips.
As you learn in Econ 101, past performance is not a guarantee of future behavior.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, there is not a "chip shortage" -- otherwise, it would be manifested in the iMacs.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 03:06 AM

You're telling me you think Intel is running out of chips?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 09:03 AM

Don't get me wrong because I have ordered my MacBook (estimated ship date of 2/15) but everything that I have been reading seems to indicate that a lot of folks are holding off on buying this machine. No official battery life information, pro apps not available at launch, release of univiersal binaries from some 3rd party apps unknown, the fact that it is a revision A machnie.... I am replacing my 12" powerbook with the Macbook but I also have a PowerMac Dual G5 to run all my favorite apps. If I did not have another Mac with the PowerPC chip in it I would have held off on the MacBook for awhile.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 09:12 AM

The Apple store is updating right now......

Fingers crossed.

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 09:13 AM

As you learn in Econ 101, past performance is not a guarantee of future behavior.
Agree. Apple is in the spotlight right now so the MacBooks need to ship on time to avoid bad PR. Also, Apple NEEDS these new laptops to start selling ASAP and bringing in revenue. The market for laptops has been growing for a while and the underperforming (relative to the rest of the market) G4 Powerbooks have not helped Apple take advantage of that growth. You can bet they have been working their butts off to get these out on time.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 10:17 AM

I reckon that intel having a hard time meeting demand for the core duo chips may have some merit.

My speculation is based on an article i read that the core duo chip had an unusually high amount of bugs (design flaws/errors)... the highest known errors of any of their processors released to the public. so i doubt intel will be manufacturing such huge amounts at this early stage in its lifecycle, hence limited suply. I would guess that production wil be kept smallish until they iron out the errors to a much smaller amount.

this is my speculation so dont take it as a truth

Delays also has to do with the assembly companies that build the entire unit and put it together... so it is not just about intel...

cheers,
robM

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 10:18 AM

Interesting ... there is now a 1GB nano for 149. And my order went from processing to "Not Yet Shipped"

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 10:29 AM

Mine says the same thing "Not Yet Shipped". Maybe this implies they are ready to ship?

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 10:48 AM

mine has said 'not yet shipped' since they gave me an estimated ship date.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 10:53 AM

Damn. What does it say now!?

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 11:11 AM

damn, now it says shipping on the 10th, arriving on the 17th. Well it's only 3 days later than expected.

NetJunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78
My speculation is based on an article i read that the core duo chip had an unusually high amount of bugs (design flaws/errors)... the highest known errors of any of their processors released to the public. so i doubt intel will be manufacturing such huge amounts at this early stage in its lifecycle, hence limited suply. I would guess that production wil be kept smallish until they iron out the errors to a much smaller amount.
All chips have bugs, they care called "Errata". They are almost never fixed "on die". They get fixed via updated microcode that you can do to any modern computer. Many times these bugs are just avoided by changes to compilers. These won't slow them down on production. Ohter chips have had more errata with no problems. The only reason this was news was because it is Apple's first Intel chip so anything tied to Apple is hyped up.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You're telling me you think Intel is running out of chips?
You're saying you think they have an infinite supply? All resources are scarce, which necessarily makes all supplies limited. That premise is at the very core of modern economic theories.

Apple themselves warned that there is likely going to be a shortage of MacBook pros, and Intel also said they are having a shortage of chipsets (though they did not say specifically which ones).
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=177102076

The processor argument is BS. It's the same processor as in the iMacs. You can go to your local Apple Store and buy one of those right now, and they are shipping "within 24 hours" online.
No, it is not the same. The iMac uses the high voltage variant of the Core Duo, whereas the MBP uses the low voltage variant.

As for high demand...that remains to be seen. What is "high" anyway?
High is relative, but I'm sure you already know that, so nice try with trying to be dumb. When demand exceeds supply, that is a high demand, and Apple has in fact stated that it is likely they will not be able to meet demand.

Apparently not so high as to prevent today's 6 percent slip in share prices
Demand does not equate to revenue or share price. Investors do not look at demand, not really. Apple share's have been falling most likely due to their 2nd quarter outlooks, which are not very strong. Given the falling the price, certainly not as strong as investors would like.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 01:54 PM

The iMac uses the high voltage variant of the Core Duo, whereas the MBP uses the low voltage variant.
Well that's an interesting comment, considering Intel does not make a 1.83GHz low voltage Core Duo chip.

See for yourself here: http://intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/index.htm
Just click on the "View Specification Chart" link under Product Information.

liscio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by boombashi
I hate to bust your bubble, but I got you beat by 3 minutes (11:07 AM PST). I highly doubt I'm even that early since I had it configured, made a couple phone calls, and had to wait at least 10 minutes for someone to call me back before submitting. The clock may have started from when it was first placed in my cart and I just had left the browser open, but I'm just not sure. Sorry, but I couldn't resist
10:50 AM PST for me. I didn't even bother reading the specs before ordering(*)...

Anyone earlier? The keynote stopped just a few minutes before that. I kept reloading the page until the "We'll be back" note came down and I one-clicked it.

I probably won't get the MacBook very soon, though, as I'm located in Canada. I don't even have an estimated delivery date to go with my Feb 15th ship date.

(*) I needed to buy whatever x86 box they announced to port my code ASAP, and buying an iMac that I'd want to replace with a laptop shortly after would be silly...
http://www.SuperMegaUltraGroovy.com
Audio Measurement Software for Mac OS X. http://www.FuzzMeasure.com

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 03:02 PM

"Intel does not make a 1.83GHz low voltage Core Duo chip."

Ya kinda like Moto/Freescale "didn't make" a G4 as fast as the ones in PBs...

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 03:15 PM

zOne81 -

Sorry to read of your retarded ship time. Just checked mine (for the 600th time today) and no change.
This thing needs to ship, I'm not getting squat done at work.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 03:37 PM

There is a widget available for Order Status you should be able to find on VersionTracker that will check for you automatically, if you're checking many times/day.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 03:45 PM

Unforunately, I'm at work on a Dell. So no access to widgets.
But I was able to order a couple of battery cases for my RC car's transmitter while playing here.

I actually check my order status 3-5 times a day, but I exaggerate. Born and raised in Texas, what can I say.

Z

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 11:07 PM

So I installed the widget. Next question is, is there a status between "not yet shipped" and "shipped"? I mean... there's e-mail confirmation when the thing ships, is the e-mail delayed? (ie will the widget / apple web site indicate it's been shipped before the e-mail goes out?) Or is this just so we can obsessively check the status of our orders without going to the trouble of going to Apple's site?

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear the first person who gets shipment confirmation...

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 11:19 PM

Yeah, it's been a while since I've ordered a Mac from Apple directly, so I'm not sure. They used to have a 4 stage process.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rumz
So I installed the widget. Next question is, is there a status between "not yet shipped" and "shipped"? I mean... there's e-mail confirmation when the thing ships, is the e-mail delayed? (ie will the widget / apple web site indicate it's been shipped before the e-mail goes out?) Or is this just so we can obsessively check the status of our orders without going to the trouble of going to Apple's site?

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear the first person who gets shipment confirmation...
It depends, you have to be checking constantly. I have from time to time checked and seen that the item had shipped prior to getting the email, but only once or twice. Usually you will get the email first and that is how you get notified.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 04:10 AM

I am interestede to see how the battery performs on these laptops. I expect full reports people!
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2006, 04:32 AM

what type of full reports are you looking for HazelGirl? This way we can fully meet your expectation...after the new 'books arrive.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 05:53 AM

No, it is not the same. The iMac uses the high voltage variant of the Core Duo, whereas the MBP uses the low voltage variant.
Would you care to back that up with some facts? Link?

There has never been any information by Apple or Intel that this could be the case.

In fact, Intel publicly acknowledges a 1.67GHz version of the Core Duo, the L2400. It's the LV version of the T2300. There is no LV version of the 1.83Gz Core Duo T2400 to date. It has never been introduced or mentioned by Intel before.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 10:12 AM

FLASH...MacBook Pro so hot causes fire on UPS jet http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/08/ups...ire/index.html
Just kidding.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

NetJunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 10:16 AM

Inside word says that corporate shipments start today (orders of 10 or more). Individual orders will be on the 15th as they've shown for a while. Stores around the end of the month.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NetJunkie
Inside word says that corporate shipments start today (orders of 10 or more). Individual orders will be on the 15th as they've shown for a while. Stores around the end of the month.
Your source or "friend of a friend"?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 12:01 PM

High is relative, but I'm sure you already know that, so nice try with trying to be dumb. When demand exceeds supply, that is a high demand, and Apple has in fact stated that it is likely they will not be able to meet demand.
Ever heard of hype? Marketing? Go to the Apple web site now. Go to the store. Look at when they are shipping. 3-4 weeks, which is brand new. Not exactly way behind... As for your obnoxious "dumb" remark...well, other users have taken you to task on your baseless comment about there being two different chips.

Demand does not equate to revenue or share price. Investors do not look at demand, not really. Apple share's have been falling most likely due to their 2nd quarter outlooks, which are not very strong. Given the falling the price, certainly not as strong as investors would like.
Are you kidding me? Investors look at all kinds of stuff - rational and irrational. Have you never studied stock market behavior? Expected demand is most certainly one thing many investors consider. You need some economics background before you go on the lecture circuit with a diatribe on share prices.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

cms
Senior User
Feb 8, 2006, 12:17 PM

I ordered two of these -- higher-spec models, no modifications -- on January 11th. For about the last 2 weeks, my order status has been showing a ship date of February 15th, with an estimated delivery date of the 17th. I called Apple today and was told they were on target to ship as scheduled and could even arrive on the 16th as they are shipping from the midlands. We shall see......

Forum Links
Forum Rules