Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Kill the pop-ups in OmiWeb

Kill the pop-ups in OmiWeb
sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 07:23 AM

How was it again?
Thanks

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 08:41 AM

Preferences -> Javascript -> Scripts are allowed to open new windows -> Not the top one.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 06:21 PM

mm, cool, thanks. However, that won't kill pop ups that are triggered by clicking on a link like an exit scripted pop up will it?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 11:19 PM

It will for most of them, actually - generally either it's a link or it calls a script, not both. The script could _make_ you go to another page, but people rarely do that - the usual practice is to have a javascript handler run in response to your exiting the page, but that won't be able to open a popup, it doesn't count as your specifically requesting it. Basically, since I got Omniweb, I haven't seen a popup ad. I understand that they're quite annoying these days, so I feel mildly sorry for all those IE users
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2002, 12:24 AM

yeah, with ow and mozilla, pop-ups are long-gone for me. The only thing that I allow javascript to do is open windows when I click on a link--and for my browsing habits, this only deals with menu selections etc.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2002, 01:17 AM

One more method to keep annoying adverts away. Thanks. I didn't know about this one. Maybe it should be in the Privacy section?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2002, 02:16 AM

and the great thing is that competition drives these user-friendly options. pop-up killers and ad-blocking (not the MacNN banners, but the huge flashing things) are in ow and moz. We don't delude ourselves into believing that MS would ever put these features into IE.

now I'm waiting on a Flash ad killer. I hate Flash ads, and have exiled the plugin in order to eliminate the Flash ads. I think Yahoo has figured it out, however--they were serving me Flash ads, but now must realize that my browser doesn't have that plug-in: they're back to serving me regular picture adverts.

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2002, 08:23 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gul Banana:
<strong>Preferences -&gt; Javascript -&gt; Scripts are allowed to open new windows -&gt; Not the top one.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules