Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac vs. eMac (for soon-to-be college student)

iMac vs. eMac (for soon-to-be college student)
firefly04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 10:51 PM

Currently I have a 1.42 DP G4 w/ a 20" display that I'm going to sell and hopefully rake in enough from that to buy an iBook and a desktop (either iMac or eMac).

I bought the G4 last spring when i thought I'd be majoring in graphic design in college, but that has changed and now my major has absolutely nothing to do with graphics, and the G4 is severe overkill.

I know I definitely want an iBook, because a notebook for college would be good to have. If I make enough from the sale of the G4 (and I hope I do) then I also want to buy a desktop, either an iMac or an eMac. With the desktop I'd be doing papers, on the 'net, chatting, burning CDs, and miscellaneous minor graphic stuff.

I'm wondering whether to go for the eMac or the iMac...either way, the computer has to last at least five years, and I hope it will fare better than the old Gateway I used before having the G4.

Opinions? Suggestions? Anything would be great...I have 10 months before actually going to college, but I want to get it over with soon because the longer I wait to sell the G4 the lower the price I'll get for it.

Thanks much,
--Heather

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by firefly04:
Currently I have a 1.42 DP G4 w/ a 20" display that I'm going to sell and hopefully rake in enough from that to buy an iBook and a desktop (either iMac or eMac).

Thanks much,
--Heather
Don't mean to steer you away from the iMac (which I own and think is a fantastic computer) but have you considered the 15" Powerbook or even the new 14" G4 iBook? As a college student seems to me that you might be a bit limited on space and one of the excellent Apple laptops could serve as both your desktop and your portable. Just a thought!

As far as the emac vs. imac debate - for me the iMac wins hands down. Much better screen, better footprint, and convenient swinging display.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 10:12 AM

I run a school lab and have a 17" iMac and 28 eMacs. I have had them all a year with only one problem with one of the eMacs. This is with 500 elementary school kids using them every week. Looks are the only difference. My wide screen is nice but I would be just as happy with the eMac 17" screen. The eMac screen is also more crisp. Just a good sharp picture. The iMac screen is nice because you can adjust it but I never touch it, so do I really need it to move. Your choice. The price is really nice on the eMac now as a student.

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 10:43 AM

To be honest, I would choose based on your living situation. If its a small dorm the imac's form factor is quite nice but an lcd is a little more fragile than the CRT. The emac would stand a better chance of putting up under some abuse but it takes up considerably more real estate. All obvious concerns, but I think that the decision comes down less to tech specs and more to how it fits ion with your life.

Having taught at Uni for a few years, I can tell you that more and more students are taking the advice of ATC. Laptops as a replacement for a desktop seem to be really common.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

MichaelB43
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by ATC Ken:
Don't mean to steer you away from the iMac (which I own and think is a fantastic computer) but have you considered the 15" Powerbook or even the new 14" G4 iBook? As a college student seems to me that you might be a bit limited on space and one of the excellent Apple laptops could serve as both your desktop and your portable. Just a thought!
Ken
I agree with Ken. Skip the 2 and buy one killer notebook. Personally, I have an iMac 17" and love it. However, if I were going to College soon, I would rather have one sweet laptop than worry about 2. Especially considering some of the large screen sizes now available for the Apple notebooks. You could also sell your DP G4 alone, and keep the 20" monitor for when your notebook is at your desk.

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by MichaelB43:
You could also sell your DP G4 alone, and keep the 20" monitor for when your notebook is at your desk.
How much do you want for the G4?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

bstieritz
Nov 1, 2003, 02:40 PM

Heather,

As a satisfied owner of a 1ghz eMac SuperDrive, I'd seriously recommend this machine if you're looking into a desktop (over the iMac); especially since it's recent price drop.

Although not as sleek and "hip" as the iMac, it performs nearly identical and you can take the money you saved and upgrade ram, speakers, etc or get yourself a decent digital camera.

As far as having both a laptop and a desktop while in college . . . go for it if you've got the money. God knows I would have loved having a second computer as a backup on those late nights when my desktop decided to randomly crash, losing my precious term paper in the process.

Have fun and good luck in your studies.

cheers,
brian

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 2, 2003, 03:04 PM

I also think that getting a notebook is the best option -- I had a desktop machine when i went off to college, and then discovered that thanks to my roommate, I couldn't really work in my room. A PowerBook solved that problem handily.

I have gone back to school now, and I just got a new PowerBook, rather than a desktop, because they come in really handy... you can take them to the library, to work on group projects, etc. Having two machines is a pain in the butt, cuz then you have your files scattered across multiple machines.

The only concern, really, is theft. I strongly suggest getting a good Kensington Lock cable to secure the laptop with.

tooki

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 07:18 AM

It might be a great idea in a situation like this to go solo and get a laptop. I find that for most people, unless they have servers or something of the like running on their desktop, they have no need for one.

This is the case for me. If I had a laptop I'd STILL need my desktop as I like the unparalleled convinience of having my own server at my table.

Of course for about the same as it costs to runa computer 24/7 you can have a really nice account, complete with shell and generous bandwidth, on quite a few servers.
Aloha

garetjax
Nov 4, 2003, 09:28 PM

Opinions? Suggestions? Anything would be great...I have 10 months before actually going to college, but I want to get it over with soon because the longer I wait to sell the G4 the lower the price I'll get for it.

Thanks much,
--Heather [/B][/QUOTE]

Boy the 20' Apple display will be hard to part with. But in your situation I would sell everything as soon as you can to get the best deal, esp the G4 tower. I would then wait and get the next version of the 15' PB, which should be forthcoming within 10 months, once they work out all the LCD problems. Don't forget to get applecare for it, as well as a good ext HD for backups. Good luck.

GJ

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 10:33 AM

Get a 12" PowerBook and keep the Apple Display. Sorted!
we don't have time to stop for gas

firefly04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 03:11 PM

There's no way I could afford a PB from what I'd make from the G4 and the printer. An iBook will suit me just fine.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 01:34 AM

You want to trade DOWN from a DP 1.42 to a single processor box with a smaller screen? WTH?

Big mistake. Pls keep your gear intact and get over the urge for something new. What you have is light years better than anything you are contemplating.

Best of luck either way.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

firefly04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 08:47 AM

Chinasaur, I understand what you're saying, but if you'd like to throw some suggestions my way as to how exactly I will take a 50 lb G4, a 20" ACD and a 22" wide printer with me to college and have it all fit, be my guest.

My point is, I don't need the G4. I'm not as heavily into graphics as I was when I got it, and what little I do now I can do on an iBook perfectly fine.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 02:27 PM

How about getting one of those bunk beds with the desk under the upper bed/bunk? Saves space and allows you to keep your kit.

I understand your problem, just hate to see you lose all that Mac goodness

Cheers.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by bstieritz:
Heather,

As a satisfied owner of a 1ghz eMac SuperDrive, I'd seriously recommend this machine if you're looking into a desktop (over the iMac); especially since it's recent price drop.

Although not as sleek and "hip" as the iMac, it performs nearly identical and you can take the money you saved and upgrade ram, speakers, etc or get yourself a decent digital camera.
Precisely. Just ordered a 1 GHz eMac w/ SuperDrive for myself. And with some of the money saved by not going for an iMac, I'm ordering a GB of RAM from Crucial.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by firefly04:
Chinasaur, I understand what you're saying, but if you'd like to throw some suggestions my way as to how exactly I will take a 50 lb G4, a 20" ACD and a 22" wide printer with me to college and have it all fit, be my guest.

My point is, I don't need the G4. I'm not as heavily into graphics as I was when I got it, and what little I do now I can do on an iBook perfectly fine.
I am in school and I have three towers in my room currently now. I live in an apartment so I have more room, but still it is possible. When I lived in the dorms I had three towers (1 desktop 2 servers 1 comp for digital pics) a desktop form factor pc and two monitors a 15in and 17in crt on my desk.

Here is a picture

While it is possible. I would recommend the iBook and the 20in ACD. Use the rest of the money on beer and other fine things like that.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Partisan01:
[BWhile it is possible. I would recommend the iBook and the 20in ACD. Use the rest of the money on beer and other fine things like that.
[/B]
I didn't think the iBook had DVI out that one could plug in an ADC monitor. Did they change this with the new iBooks? I know they only recently changed it with the 12" PowerBooks.

x.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by iXavier:
I didn't think the iBook had DVI out that one could plug in an ADC monitor. Did they change this with the new iBooks? I know they only recently changed it with the 12" PowerBooks.

x.
You're correct. I guess she would have to go with the 12in powerbook then. That wouldn't be all that bad. With the education discount I think it's around 1,400. It would pack enough power, is very portable for school, and would be able to drive the ACD.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules