Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and Mail.app

Panther and Mail.app
cantona7
Nov 2, 2003, 01:13 PM

hello all,

firstly, sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and found nothing.

having a bit of trouble with this one.

Performed a clean install of panther and imported my mail from backup. the mail.app stores the imported mail in an imported folder. The problem i have is that when i try to move a mail from the imported folder to the main inbox folder, i get an error saying,

Error - The destination mailbox does not exist.

any ideas as to why this is happening. am i doing something wrong.

thanks

siluni
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 02:32 PM

Hi,

I hope I understand your question. Does your main inbox show all of your email accounts? I believe that if you're trying to move a message from an imported folder into an inbox account, you have to make sure the account to which the imported message was received exists. If it doesn't exist, make sure you've created that account so that it has a corresponding in box. Hope that helps.

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 02:43 PM

I had the issue as well. Just select all the messages in the box you want to move and copy them. Then, paste them into the INbox.

Originally posted by cantona7:
hello all,

firstly, sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and found nothing.

having a bit of trouble with this one.

Performed a clean install of panther and imported my mail from backup. the mail.app stores the imported mail in an imported folder. The problem i have is that when i try to move a mail from the imported folder to the main inbox folder, i get an error saying,

Error - The destination mailbox does not exist.

any ideas as to why this is happening. am i doing something wrong.

thanks
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

cantona7  (op)
Nov 2, 2003, 03:28 PM

All,

thanks for the feedback. William_F_House's solution works a treat. thanks again to both you for your replies.

cantona7  (op)
Nov 3, 2003, 10:03 AM

Just found another issue. Not sure if it my whole mail.app that's messed up or not.

When control-clicking on a mail in the inbox, I get the context menu as expected. However, when I click on "Apply rules", nothing happens. I would expect that i would be taken to the rules dialog panal or something.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 11:40 AM

I had the very same problem. What I ended up doing is completely removing the ~/Library/Mail and replacing it with the one I was using in Jag. Worked without a hitch!

I have no idea why the import option works so poorly..

cantona7  (op)
Nov 3, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by fiddler:
I had the very same problem. What I ended up doing is completely removing the ~/Library/Mail and replacing it with the one I was using in Jag. Worked without a hitch!

I have no idea why the import option works so poorly..
Yeah... it's a bit surprising. Would like to sort the "Apply Rules" issue though. Did bringing back the previous version of mail.app fix this?

thanks

boardsurfer
Nov 3, 2003, 09:18 PM

since we're talking about mail, does Panther mail actually remember passwords now? I have been plagued with that stupid window for a long time now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules