Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why are Pages templates in Latin?!!?

Why are Pages templates in Latin?!!?
malcolm
May 29, 2005, 02:24 AM

Hi there,
I just installed Pages... only to find that all the templates are in, of all languages, Latin! I did study Latin for a year in high school, but I don't remember enough to get by... so I checked Pages Help, which advised me to check my International Pref pane. I did, and it specifies one language - English.
So why are all these templates coming up in Latin, and how can I change them to English?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Malcolm

malcolm  (op)
May 29, 2005, 02:39 AM

searched the Pages FAQ (which I should have done in the first place, I admit), and found a simple, satisfying answer:

"The text that you see is gibberish Latin. Those of you who have advertising or design backgrounds will immediately recognize Lorem Ipsum as placeholder text, to be replaced by the real text later on. When you use placeholder text, it's known as "greeking" in text. The purpose of greeked text is to present layouts or templates without the viewer being distracted by the content or the quality of the text. It just demonstrates how text will be layed out once the real text is inserted. So go ahead ... click in a text area and you'll see an entire text block highlighted, ready for you to replace it with your own text"

Thank you Dennis G., I think it was.
Malcolm

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 03:14 AM

more information: http://www.lipsum.com/

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm
how can I change them to English?
You click them and type your own text.

The Pages templates give you a template for the layout of the page not for text content.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm
... so I checked Pages Help, which advised me to check my International Pref pane. I did, and it specifies one language - English....
A Latin localisation - yeah.. the buisiness case for that is very stong Apparently Mac OS X is the OS of choice for Consuls and Senators.

Anyway - Lispum is in Latin - to make you concentrate on the layout rather than content of the text. If it were English, you might read it - or mistake it for real useful data.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 08:16 AM

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2005, 04:42 PM

---
( Last edited by Simon X; Aug 13, 2014 at 08:58 AM. )

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2005, 04:57 PM

This thread made me lawl

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2005, 05:32 PM

Yet another sign that the Illuminati really do control it all.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2005, 03:43 AM

This thread calls for a

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Simon X
iSpartacus

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2005, 05:18 PM

Vivamus lacus wisi, tincidunt quis, vulputate sit amet, placerat vitae, massa. Etiam quam tellus, pharetra at, tincidunt id, commodo quis, ipsum. Maecenas pretium quam aliquet turpis. Ut pharetra venenatis pede. Vestibulum.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 04:16 AM

Aaahh the stupidity of some people !

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Simon X
iSpartacus
No, iSpartacus!
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock
Anyway - Lispum is in Latin - to make you concentrate on the layout rather than content of the text. If it were English, you might read it - or mistake it for real useful data.
It's not actually Latin, though it's based on real Latin. It's a very old tradition among English-language publishers to use this text when you have to fill in boxes with "junk", for example when previewing a layout. The reason is that although it doesn't mean anything in English, it looks like an average block of English text in terms of the general shape and flow of the letters and spaces. Because it doesn't mean anything, your eyes are drawn to this overall shape and flow rather than the text itself, which gives you a good idea of what someone who just gives the page a quick glance without reading anything will see. You also don't have to worry about it ever being an inappropriate example for any given audience.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 08:19 PM

Sustrud nonum tio, aliscin dio sequat rud quatie pulvinar, tincidunt exerat ac.

There's a MacOS X application/service called LipServiceX that will auto-generate a Lipsum sentence or paragraph for you in any app (any app that supports services, that is).

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2005, 10:03 PM

I believe the common "Lorem ipsum" text is actually based on some speeches by Cicero, the great Roman senator and philosopher. The text has been used by printers for centuries.

The only downside to using it as placeholder text in serious design is that Latin and English don't look that much alike. English uses more ascenders and descenders, more capitals, and a few letters that Latin doesn't. As a result, it typically needs a bit more spacing than Latin (though not as much as some languages).

Forum Links
Forum Rules