Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any bikers out there? (not motorcycle)

Any bikers out there? (not motorcycle)
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 07:25 PM

I'm looking to buy a new bike (sub-$500) for fitness riding: longer trips, faster speeds, mostly on pavement. I need some comfort, but mostly speed and reliable derailleurs and brakes. Most trips will be around 2-3 hours.

The guys at my local bike shop were pushing hybrids - especially the new 2006 Trek 7.3FX for $429.

Also, I'll be riding mostly near the ocean and I wanted to know if anyone has experience with bikes + saltwater spray and the best ways to avoid rusting.

Anyone have advice?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 10:11 PM

I'd personally get a hard tail bike. Cause you never know when you might want to go off road and hit some trails.

And lots of washing is the only way to prevent rust.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 10:24 PM

I picked up a GIANT Sedona a few months back for around $300. Went with a 23" frame, which is quite light for its size, thought admittedly I probably should have shelled out for one of the higher-end models that was available in 25".

I had cross compared between GIANT and Trek and found that GIANT models seem to be more well equipped than comparable Treks.

I ride the thing almost 30 miles everytime I go out, usually three or four times per week. Mainly just bike path riding, with the occasional off road action. It's held up really well.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 10:54 PM

The Trek hybrid is a good choice, if you're riding mostly pavement. I've got a Cannondale hybrid that's eight years old, and has over 5,000 miles on it, and it serves well as a multi purpose bike, but for non-paved rail-trails or light duty dirt use, an inexpensive dirt bike is better. because the bigger tires offer better grip.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 11:59 PM

Though I must say I am not up on the current market the bike you found looks like a very nice fit.

Hybrids are nice because they have road tires (which lets you go fast - less rolling resistance) with a mountain bike geometry (more relaxed). The next step would be getting into road bikes but of course some people feel that the geometry is a little hard core for their needs. That Trek that you picked out looks like one of the coolest hybrids that I have seen around. Nice AL frame (light and stiff) with a cool straight bladed fork.

Components are certainly what you would expect on a sub 500 ride. First of all if you are in FL you really should not need to shift gears that much and I doubt that they would crap out on your anyway. Brakes in that price range are fairly standard.

The best thing you can do for your ride is keeping the chain lubed. Dont use WD-40 casue that stuff attracts a lot of dirt and you certainly dont that want that in your drivetrain. The best thing you can use is something like boeshield if you can find it. Of course keep the bike out of the rain and stuff - also I seriously doubt you will be getting a lot of salt water on it unless you dunk the thing into the ocean. To keep the brakes working nicely make sure the rims arnt covered in gunk. After you get the bike the brake cables will stretch a little - the shop should have a free 30 day tuneup that covers this. Down the line when the pads wear out (long time) invest in some nice Koolstop pads (only a few dollars): they have a much better grab on the rim compared with most of the standard crap.

Good luck and remember to wear your helmet.

If you really want to have some fun you can do repairs yourself. Most issues are actually quite simple if you get the right tools. Check out the Park repair page.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the info. Before I buy the Trek I'll check out comparable Giants in person to see the build quality.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I picked up a GIANT Sedona a few months back for around $300. Went with a 23" frame, which is quite light for its size, thought admittedly I probably should have shelled out for one of the higher-end models that was available in 25".

I had cross compared between GIANT and Trek and found that GIANT models seem to be more well equipped than comparable Treks.

I ride the thing almost 30 miles everytime I go out, usually three or four times per week. Mainly just bike path riding, with the occasional off road action. It's held up really well.
are you 7' tall? that's a HUGE mtb frame.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2005, 07:24 PM

6'7"
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 08:13 PM

aha.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 09:46 PM

Lat: 30 miles is a long ride, man. How long does it take you?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2005, 09:57 PM

A little less than 2 hours, now. I stay in the second highest gear the entire way and make the ride non-stop. When I first started doing it, it took around 3 hours because I had to make little sit-stops and I downshifted a lot because of muscle burn out.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 10:17 PM

6'7"
Crikey! I was going to say I take a 21" frame (I'm 6' even), which is impossible to find for rent and a bit hard to find to buy a lot of places, so on my recent trip to Vancouver, BC, I just took my own. It's a Giant, of course!

I've been riding Giants since '88, and recommend a look at them. Either way, a hybrid is your best bet for what you're looking to do. Just keep 'er clean and don't forget to clean your chain regularly!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
Also, I'll be riding mostly near the ocean and I wanted to know if anyone has experience with bikes + saltwater spray and the best ways to avoid rusting.

Anyone have advice?
If you're really concerned about rust, try and go with an aluminum frame. They might be slightly more expensive than the cro-moly frames, but they are lighter and rust won't be an issue. And while Trek does make good bikes, they are usually more expensive than other comparable brands. You can probably get an equivalent Giant or Specialized brand bike for a little less. I'd recommend a Mongoose overall, though.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 10:05 AM

A little less than 2 hours, now. I stay in the second highest gear the entire way and make the ride non-stop. When I first started doing it, it took around 3 hours because I had to make little sit-stops and I downshifted a lot because of muscle burn out.
Tulsa is pretty flat right? I've got a 25 miler I'm going to ride on saturday, and its going to take me over 3 hours I'm estimating, but its a lot of climbing. Probably about 2,000 ft. in 15 miles. I'm looking into getting one of these Speed/Distance watches that tell you how far/high/fast you go.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Tulsa is pretty flat right? I've got a 25 miler I'm going to ride on saturday, and its going to take me over 3 hours I'm estimating, but its a lot of climbing. Probably about 2,000 ft. in 15 miles. I'm looking into getting one of these Speed/Distance watches that tell you how far/high/fast you go.
I picked up a wireless bike computer for CAN$22, the old wired one of the same model was CAN$13-ish, so they're pretty cheap. Well worth the small investment! The more functions you want, the more expensive obviously.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Tulsa itself is actually rather hilly. But I ride up and down our river trail. Pretty tame.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 07:29 PM

I thought you'd already bought the bike, so I wasn't commenting. But if you are still looking, I'd seriously consider a true road bike. I don't think you gain anything with a hybrid. With a true road bike, you can put your hands along the flat part of the bar, or on the extensions, or on the drops; with a hybrid you can only put your hands on the flat part of the bar. More hand positions = more comfortable. A road bike lets you sit up and be comfortable, or you can drop down and go faster.

Bike shops always push hybrids, and to me it doesn't make any sense. (Then again, maybe they know more than me.)

Be sure to get at least straps or clipless for your pedals.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 10:11 PM

It's hard to find a good road bike sub-$500. I think that's why they push hybrids.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:46 PM

Unless you're riding only smooth roads, a hybrid is definitely a better choice. They have a more forgiving ride, and you sit more upright on a hybrid, versus a road bike. The slightly wider tires also make for a smoother ride over bumps and expansion joints. The reason bike shops push hybrids is exactly because of the reasons I mentioned. Road bikes have much more limited utility, and most casual riders want a more upright, smoother ride.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 06:52 PM

Resurrectinated!

So now I've done more research and have decided that Cannondale is the way to go. Their frames are stiffer, and recommended by many larger riders (6'3" 225). I'm looking at their CAAD3 frame, from '99-'00 with Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace setup. I can get it used for around $520 and it'll be a great beginner's road setup.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 10:49 PM

i have an old school Rossin bike that my dad gave me, he is big into cycling - he has some kind of trek i believe.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 11:05 PM

It's hard to find a good road bike sub-$500. I think that's why they push hybrids.
Correct. For brand-new bikes this is true.
Resurrectinated!

So now I've done more research and have decided that Cannondale is the way to go. Their frames are stiffer, and recommended by many larger riders (6'3" 225). I'm looking at their CAAD3 frame, from '99-'00 with Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace setup. I can get it used for around $520 and it'll be a great beginner's road setup.
Nice choice! Those are very good bikes, hope you enjoy it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules