Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP's in January??? (new MB with Leopard?)

New MBP's in January??? (new MB with Leopard?)
trip221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2007, 02:04 PM

So I was doing my normal surfing this morning and I came across the following article:
Think Secret - MacBook poised for product rev

If they're going to update the MacBooks, why wouldn't they update the Pros too? Hasn't the MB had an update more recently than the Pro? Some of the comments suggest a new MBP in January - do you think there's any merit to this?

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2007, 02:10 PM

We can only guess, but I hope we see new MBPs no later than MacWorld.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 02:29 PM

MWSF sounds like a reasonable time for a MBP announcement. The new MBP will arrive when Penryn is available IOW no earlier than January 08.

Intel will declare the MB's CPU EOL in March 2008. Of course Apple could even then stick with Merom in the MB, but they'd have to switch to Crestline and the Socket P/800 MHz FSB Meroms.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:51 PM

Hopefully not too soon. Apple, please give me a few more months of my Macbook Pro being the fastest out there. Please.

I would totally expect to see a slight boost of some kind in January. It would just make sense seeing the speed at which intel is pumping out new chips.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2007, 04:48 PM

The MB is behind the MBP in terms of chips it's using. Thus, it would make sense for an upgrade soon.

As for the MBP, I certainly hope Apple keeps up with the Joneses - and the Dells and Packards - so expect new CPUs the next time Intel releases a new batch. Jan 2008 seems like a fine time for a speed bump.

I don't think we're going to see the radical new, touchscreen notebook computer in 2008, either. That spot in the Steve Jobs' queue was taken by the iPhone.

trip221  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 12:24 PM

I thought I'd be able to wait until MWSF in January no problem, but now they have the Leopard page up with the countdown timer! It's a true test of willpower now!

For you experienced Mac owners - historically, when they've announced new hardware at the conference, was it available immediately or a few months down the road? I mean, if they announce new stuff but then say it won't be available for another 3 months, I may as well just buy a new MBP now!

Thanks for suggestions.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by trip221 View Post
For you experienced Mac owners - historically, when they've announced new hardware at the conference, was it available immediately or a few months down the road? I mean, if they announce new stuff but then say it won't be available for another 3 months, I may as well just buy a new MBP now!
Varies. Sometimes same-day, sometimes a month later.

Wait until we know when the new Intel chips drop; probably won't know until ~2 months in advance.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2007, 11:55 PM

Intel has announced the next mobile chip will ship in Jan 2008. Apple sometimes gets preferential treatment and ships on the release date; sometimes they wait a few months after the rest of the windows world.

In this case, looks like speed bumped MBPs in Jan 2008.

Forum Links
Forum Rules