Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Exchange Solutions

iPhone Exchange Solutions
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 09:57 AM

I bought my iPhone in August. I left the IT department for greener pastures this summer and no longer have control over our Exchange server. The IT Manager told me he had enabled IMAP, so I thought I was good to go on my iPhone for corporate e-mail (came from a Treo 750 and a Blackjack both running ActiveSync). Not so. Apparently, he enabled IMAP but didn't poke a hole in the firewall for SMTP. I understand why, as he doesn't want us to become a SPAM relay and get blacklisted by every domain in the known universe. Fine. Unfortunately, I can't use cwmx.com or my ISP's SMTP server, as our IT Manager ALSO has Reverse DNS Lookup turned on. In other words, our domain e-mail addresses see that I'm not really sending from "[email protected]" like my e-mail address says, decides the sender is spoofed, calls me spamination, and rejects the e-mail. Well, crap.

I've been trying Synchronica Mobile Gateway. It works okay, but two things suck: (a) it goes down... ALL... the time. It's down right now, and I haven't received a single e-mail since 7:18 A.M. (b) it places that stupid 'This message was sent via Synchronica Mobile Gateway' on every single e-mail. This is unprofessional and it worries me that people will look down on me because I gave my username/password to a third party outside our organization. While we don't have a specific policy against that, I'm sure they'll be writing one to target me before this is all said and done. I've looked into IPXsync, but unfortunately, it's vaporware at the moment.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives? Are any other companies doing what Synchronica is doing? I think most are not because they know that at some point Apple will come in, license ActiveSync for iPhone, and all their work/money will be wasted (that's my #1 complaint with Apple, that it consistently craps on developers).

Any advice, experiences, etc?

Update: I just switched to trymobilegateway.com isntead of syncml.biz for e-mail retrieval and its working again, faster than ever. I recommend this change for other folks.
( Last edited by CorpITGuy; Nov 2, 2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Update)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I am sending this as a flyer for the local IT folks - I am hoping they'd take the request for iPhone support more seriously. But with the threat of many employees giving away critical info to a third party to allow them to do their work, they might want to come up with an alternative!

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nstehle View Post
Update: I just switched to trymobilegateway.com isntead of syncml.biz for e-mail retrieval and its working again, faster than ever. I recommend this change for other folks.
What is trymobilegateway.com supposed to be? I went there and got a page from the DNS registration company, 123-reg.co.uk

QS

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 12:17 PM

It's just an alternative server for Synchronica customers. However, after a few days it quit working for me and I moved back to syncml.biz.

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2007, 09:45 AM

FORTUNE: Big Tech Apple using Facebook to hunt for iPhone engineers �

Check out the last paragraph. Exchange compatibility is definitely coming to the iPhone.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2007, 11:57 AM

Full compatibiity would be nice. My IT org won't enable IMAP on the Exchange Server...they claim IMAP is not secure.

QS

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 12:12 PM

It would be nice to at least have it on the Mac first. :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules