Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting a new computer...

Getting a new computer...
WirelessPro
Baninated
Jun 25, 2008, 09:48 AM

Hi-

My computer has seen better days. I'm looking into getting a new one. I currently have a Dell, but want to switch over to a Mac. What do you guys recommend for a new Mac user?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2008, 10:45 AM

give us your needs. As you are posting here, you are likely interested in a laptop. Apple offers 4 different core models each targeted to a different niche.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:47 AM

Whats your budget? Makes a big difference in what you can buy.

Have you looked at refurbs?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2008, 11:16 AM

Best deal, IMO, would be a refurbished MacBook with a DVD burner. Doesn't really matter which model you get as long as it has a DVD-R Superdrive. They're marked down quite a bit from the $1300 price tag it costs to get a new MacBook with DVD-R.

If you want to look at the price and specs available, go to Apple.com/store and look at the special deals section in the lower left corner.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2008, 12:00 PM

Are you looking for a desktop or a laptop. If you were to go with a refurbished like Luca suggests then I would agree on the superdrive. It really depends on what your needs. The Mac mini is sort of the training wheels for switchers. If you were looking at a laptop and aren't going to be using really intense applications then I would say go with a Macbook. I own one myself and it does everything I need it to do, including Photoshop CS3. It really all depends on your needs and preferences. Good luck!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'd say go with the MacBook even if you're not sure you will need the mobility. It's basically a slightly faster version of the Mini that doesn't even cost much more, once you factor in the cost of a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The other nice thing about the MacBook is that it's very easy to upgrade the hard drive and RAM - you can do it yourself without voiding the warranty.

It's $950 for a refurb 2.16 GHz MacBook w/ DVD-R, 120 GB hard drive, and 1 GB of RAM. You can upgrade to 2 GB of RAM for about $50 (buy from Other World Computing or NewEgg). The mini, on the other hand, doesn't even seem to be available on clearance. A brand new one at 2.0 GHz with DVD-R, 120 GB hard drive, and 1 GB of RAM is $800.

So it's slightly slower and lacks a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and it's only $150 cheaper (to be fair, it's $500 cheaper than a brand new MacBook, but the current version of the MacBook with DVD-R also has 2 GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor).

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 12:18 PM

Like SEkker said, we need a description of your application needs. Without that info, responses are meaningless. E.g. are you a busy DSLR photographer who will use heavy graphics apps and move many GB of data, or will you just run light-duty apps like Office and Firefox? Do you need portability or a desktop solution?

-Allen Wicks

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I'd say go with the MacBook even if you're not sure you will need the mobility. It's basically a slightly faster version of the Mini that doesn't even cost much more, once you factor in the cost of a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The other nice thing about the MacBook is that it's very easy to upgrade the hard drive and RAM - you can do it yourself without voiding the warranty.

It's $950 for a refurb 2.16 GHz MacBook w/ DVD-R, 120 GB hard drive, and 1 GB of RAM. You can upgrade to 2 GB of RAM for about $50 (buy from Other World Computing or NewEgg). The mini, on the other hand, doesn't even seem to be available on clearance. A brand new one at 2.0 GHz with DVD-R, 120 GB hard drive, and 1 GB of RAM is $800.

So it's slightly slower and lacks a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and it's only $150 cheaper (to be fair, it's $500 cheaper than a brand new MacBook, but the current version of the MacBook with DVD-R also has 2 GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor).
Well said, another reason why I would consider the Macbook.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2008, 08:26 AM

WirelessPro,

As indicated above, it all depends on your budget and intentions. I generally strongly recommend getting a refurbished model, as you can get a great deal on a machine that has already had any problems repaired while still maintaining a full warranty. There is a buyer's guide here, about halfway down the page.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 09:10 AM

OP has been b&

Forum Links
Forum Rules