Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best new iBook carrying case

Best new iBook carrying case (Page 2)
<phillyjim>
Jun 3, 2001, 04:59 PM

I'm telling you, the "messenger bag" at the GAP is by far a better bag than the $35 one at Banana Republic and really fits the iBook perfect, and is only $6.99!! Charcoal gray or black, rubberized sides and bottom, side cell phone pocket, side biz card window on the other side, outside velcro side pocket, and inside a velcro pocket on one side and a zipper pocket on the other!

The Banana Republic bag has no lining and exposed seams, which I thought looked cheap, and I was afraid might scratch my iBook. Plus with just a flap cover, you can easily see that there is an iBook inside.

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 05:14 PM

Since the ibook is roughly the size of a piece of paper and the internals are pretty well protected due to the design, I decided a simple plastic cover would be all I needed to protect the case from getting dinged up.

2 bucks at the drugstore bought a sturdy plastic file folder. Keeps it small enough to fit in my upper backpack compartment.

skutsch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 09:47 AM

Just to add my own two bits to this helpful site...

I looked at the Banana Republic bag and thought it was ok but a bit too roomy for my book.

Instead, I picked up a Tenba computer bag at my local small computer store (Digital Society in New York). It's the Tenba "Brief Pak" and it fits the book almost perfectly with only a very little give. It has a handle and detachable shoulder strap but it's also small enough, even with padding, that you can fit it into a backpack for more portability. It's got extra pocked but they're pretty small; you can't really fit more than the adaptor and some pencils into this thing. All in all I am quite plesed with it. Small and sweet, like the book.

Oh, and a tip. Before I went bag shopping I found a book in my library that was almost exactly the same size as the iBook. Then all I had to do was test the bags with a real book rather than haul around my precious iBook.

Carl

dawnview
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 04:55 PM

Just got my sweet spot from sfbags.com, and I love it, VERY high quality! It is worth every dollar when you consider what you spent on the iBook and how easy it will scratch unless you take care of it. The iBook sleeve has neoprene inside and is thick enough to protect the contents with a cordura exterior.

I highly recommend this companies products!

iBook 500, DVD

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2001, 06:16 PM

Gaskell, after seeing how shiny and scratch-prone the case of the new iBook is, I would be worried about the plastic rubbing small scratches into the case that would build up over time. Shouldn't you put it in some kind of fabric sleeve or something first?

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 07:23 PM

hiccup

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Gaskell ]

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
<STRONG>Gaskell, after seeing how shiny and scratch-prone the case of the new iBook is, I would be worried about the plastic rubbing small scratches into the case that would build up over time. Shouldn't you put it in some kind of fabric sleeve or something first?</STRONG>
Yeah, I already christened the case with a bunch of fine scratches by putting it into my backpack bare. It's a given there will be more scratches. They're not really all that bothersome. Fine white lines on a white surface doesn't look bad and the plastic is plenty thick. It'll take a while to wear down My main need in a sleeve was to protect the feet from rubbing against anything inside the backpack and poppig off and to ensure the ibook is held together in a closed position. The latchig mechanism feels a little too delicate and the unit doesn't shut snugly when closed.

If it weren't for the flimsy feet and loose latch, I wouldn't be needing a sleeve at all. I wish it was more like a "rugged little pod" like Ives described it as being.

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Gaskell ]

amrosario
Jun 4, 2001, 08:46 PM

Here's a bag that I got.

It's a nice over-the-shoulder bag that has a compartment that fits the iBook rather well, even when it's wrapped up in a sleeve. I paid just under $100 for it at a bag store in NYC. It also doubles as a backpack. Better looking for casual business; not flashy colors.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

<Drew>
Jun 4, 2001, 09:19 PM

The Lapdog at Shaun Jackson Design, Inc. is on sale for a Father's Day Special. The price has been knocked down to $99 from the original price of $139. Pretty cool laptop bag and I'm going to order one. Here is there animated gif showing the product in use:

er1c
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2001, 10:46 PM

I will have to agree with the Gap suggestion!.

I paid $9.99 for mine, it is gray with one long shoulder strap and backpack type shoulder straps that can be hidden. Also has a padded nylon liner with vecro fasteners, and lots of pockets, a key chain hook, all around just fantastic.

I was prepared to go as high as $50.oo for a bag for my iBook. This is the budget bag with great construction and good looks.

I think it was originally about $40.00. [img]null[/img]

<gap4ibook>
Jun 5, 2001, 12:04 AM

I bought a Gap bag this weekend. It's called "The Commuter Bag". It's 12x16x4.5 and came with padded removable laptop sleeve which fits in the main compartment. It has a zip front compartment with mesh pocket and pen holder, zip leash on outside pocket and an adjustible clip closure. On sale for $16.99. why pay &gt;$100.

ke72jak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 10:13 AM

I went with the Banana Republic Computer Sleeve after someone recommended it.

Why? Well, it matches my BR briefcase/backpack nicely and I liked the slim form factor. Other bags may have more pockets etc., but more is not necessarily better to me.

mkoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 03:00 PM

i think the image &lt;Langdon&gt; posted on 6/3 is of banana republic's computer backpack, not the computer sleeve that people are talking about.

info on the backpack can be found at;
long url that might not work

if that url dosn't work, i found it under mens, bags and small leather goods, on the br site.

if someone could post a style number or more information about the sleeve that would be great. i would like to get more information on it and see a picture. there is no store close by so i can't just go and look at it.

Update: it looks like the computer sleeve is not a part of the current product, because customer service was unable to find the product and said that it may have been leftovers that the stores had.

thanks.
mkoz

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: mkoz ]

chump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 03:26 PM

I just bought the Travelon Laptop case, which is a fully adjustable padded black-nylon sleeve with sturdy velcro flaps on the ends and along one edge. To size it for your iBook, you unfold it flat(like a box), put your laptop in the center, and fold up the velcro flaps. Once sized, you can open the sleeve either from the side or from the end...which is cool for those who may use backpacks.

The sleeve includes two mesh pockets, each big enough to hold a CD or two - and a separate velcro-pouch for larger items like power adapter, battery...whatever.

It was a bit expensive at $30, but it ends up being a perfect fit, is well-padded/constructed and you can probably find a better deal than I did...

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: ]

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 11:30 PM

After reading about the cheap Gap bags, I made myself go there on my lunch break (I hate that awful store). Anyway, the Gap I went to is a block or so away from the UNC campus in Chapel Hill, NC. I didn't see the "computer bags" so I asked the clerk and she said, "those flew out of here." I should have known better than to go to a Gap right next to the campus where everyone has a laptop. After work I headed into Durham to visit a Gap that�s nowhere near a college campus. They had a ton of them for $16.99! Man, this thing is perfect. The padded laptop sleeve makes it all worth it. In mine I have my iBook, A Promax fire wire drive, a Flash book, sketchbook, handspring, digital Canon camera and pens. I'm all set and cheap to boot. never thought I would say, "Go to the Gap." Shoot me if I ever say it for any other reason.

MUGlover
Jun 6, 2001, 03:14 PM

I also went to the Gap at lunch and had good news to share. I am thinking of getting one of the commuter bags just for that sleeve, or I will splurge and try WaterField at sfbags.com.

But it's what's outside that counts. At the Gap in downtown Chicago there are many remaining $6.99 ($7.60 including tax) Urban Daypacks in black, navy with black trim, and orange with black trim. It looks like nothing much on the outside, but there are many adjustable straps, interior pouches, and a rather durable nylon construction.

I would never confuse this nylon with an iBook polishing cloth, so I am interested in the sleeves. What made this pack for me, besides the price (marked down from $24.99), is the padded backpack straps and the stout waist strap, which (if you leave the pack on) make this pack hard to walk off with. It also helped that it weighed less than an iBook

This Gap is at 133 N. Wabash. They have no idea how popular this bag may become, though someone else bought one ten seconds ahead of me. -Jim

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: MUGlover ]

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 03:42 PM

Can anyone post the SKU number of the GAP bag. That is the product number from the price tag. Thanks....

MUGlover
Jun 6, 2001, 04:04 PM

I kept the receipt but not the price tag. I was reluctant to carry a bag out of the store in another... well, bag. On the receipt of this Navy and black Urban Daypack is the number 493220 0000

I'm probably not the first person to notice this. But, if your initials are G.A.P., you get free monogramming! -Jim

<drillerkiller>
Jun 6, 2001, 05:00 PM

The one I bought was called the "Computer Bag" and not the "Urban Daypack". I saved the tag and I'll post the # when I get home.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 06:18 PM

The # on the tag says: 104170-01-1 under that it says: 0001

Hope that helps.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by drillerkiller:
<STRONG>The # on the tag says: 104170-01-1 under that it says: 0001

Hope that helps.</STRONG>
Correction: I just talked to the GAP flagship store in Chicago and gave them the SKU number. It is called the Commuter Bag, not Computer.
Its not sold online, but they seem to have more than they know what do to with. So black, gray, baby blue are your choices if you want to go that route.

steamymonkeypants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 07:03 PM

does anyone know if you can call the GAP number listed on their website and order their commuter bag that way?

lovin' this ibook...
war sucks.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by steamymonkeypants:
<STRONG>does anyone know if you can call the GAP number listed on their website and order their commuter bag that way?

lovin' this ibook... </STRONG>
No you cant, the online store is the same as the 800 number.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:43 PM

Your right, it is the commuter bag and not computer. I'm a dork. Sorry folks.

mmarcos
Jun 7, 2001, 10:26 AM

I got my order from Waterfield Design (http://www.sfbags.com) yesterday (before my IBook, which I ordered May 3!). I read very good reviews about the design and construction of the bags and I liked the design personally. I splurged on both a Vertigo and Cargo SuiteSpot.

I have to say they are the coolest and most functional bags I've ever purchased (just that much cooler if my IBook ever arrives!). The Cargo is very roomy without being bulky. I got it for those times when I need to carry my laptop around with a lot of other materials, paper and not. The Vertigo fits well when I just need to carry the laptop and a few papers and such.

They are not cheap, certainly, but are the best without question. Once I get my IBook I'll post some snaps of the overall package.

Highly recommended!
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

qwerty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 12:51 PM

I just got the WaterField SleevCase for the new iBook. I have severe bagitis with lots of bags occupying space in my closet. I decided the sleeve would do just fine, especially in my nondescript but highly funcional Gap backpack I've had for a couple of years. Hey, it was free.

That WaterField Cargo bag sure was tempting though.

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 02:03 PM

Well yesterday I decided to go and do a little shopping. Took a look at the usual computer store Circuit City, CompUSA, and a few others. I figured that if I didn't want to have to pay that much for one I'd have to improvise and go to a non-typical store for a new case. I headed on over to Eddie Bauer and while there started looking at a Flight Bag by Crosswinds. And I must say I really did like it.I picked it up and I'm testing it out today to see if it will scratch the case and if so how bad. Though personally I figure it's going to get scratches anyways so I'm not worried about those or fingerprints. I can post how well it holds up after being in the bag for most of the day and toting it around my campus. It only cost me $35 as it was on sale and has ROOM for lots of other thigs besides just the ibook. Which will be handy for me and whatever text books or other things I want to carry like dvd's or cd's, etc etc.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2001, 07:21 PM

So i bought the North Face bag from the Michigan Ave NF store in Chicago. I did go down the street to the Gap and Banana, they were both OK. The Gap one was better than the Banana Rep bag but still not my style. The BR bag just looked too much like a large purse to me. But I really liked the North Face bag, it has plenty of space and was made very well.
Now i also listened to the concerns of others about scratches in a bag, and found this Neoprene retailer to buy a 51" x 12" piece of the stuff for $13 bucks. Not bad, my total was under $40 for the bag and now neoprene liner. I'll post pictures when i get my iBook if anyone is still interested.....

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Langdon ]

<ericet>
Jun 8, 2001, 12:36 AM

I just bought the GAP "Commuter Bag" here at a local GAP store in Montreal, Canada. It's sells for $29.99 Can$ and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Thanks to all the people on this list for pointing it out and letting everyone who about this great deal.

I have to also add that the padded, removable laptop sleeve that fits in the main compartment is worth as much to me as the whole bag. You can actually put your iBook in this padded sleeve and use it by itself in a backpack etc... Thank again to everyone.

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 12:47 AM

I just got the Laptop Sleeve from incase and I absolutely LOVE IT!!
http://store.yahoo.com/goincase/laptopsleeve.html

It's around $40 on the apple store somewhere... but it's definintely worth it. Small, awesome looking, and nice thin padding... I recommend it to you all

-- dio / out

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 12:49 AM

STM LapBack! STM LapBack! STM LapBack! STM LapBack!

available at www.laptoptravel.com and reviewed on MacNN.... I just got mine a week ago, fits the Ti (and the iBook) awesome, best backpack that I found...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 01:22 AM

I just bought the Gap commuter bag also. I had previously bought the iBook sleeve from SFbags.com (and REALLY like the perfect fit of the sleeve) - for keeping my iBook "bedded" down at night and for short trips, the sleeve is great. I couldn't decide on a backpack/case though for longer trips. Actually, I'm still looking but in the meantime, I bought the commuter bag from the Gap. Fairly decent bag and only cost $16.99! I don't like that it doesn't have a handle, just a strap but other than that, this bag may tide me over for awhile. I put my SFbags sleeve inside the larger sleeve that came with the commuter bag for extra padding.

Can't go wrong with this setup. Still...I am lusting after a much higher end backpack but now at least I don't feel that I have to rush out and get something to use on trips.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 09:22 AM

Score one more for The Gap's Commuter Bag!
I got one yesterday. I would have paid $15 for the sleeve alone, instead I get the sleeve and a nice bag for $17!
When I fly, this bag will definitely replace my work bag as my under-the-seat carry-on.
And one of the nicest things about it is that it doesn't scream, "I'm a laptop bag, steal me!"

I wish I had one when I was a subway crawler...
(of course, I wouldn't have actually put a cell phone in the exterior cell phone pouch - at least if I wanted it to still be there when I got off the J train!)

p.s. I like the new Instant UBBCode stuff at the bottom of the submission page... it's almost worth having the site be so slow lately...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

tbuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 05:07 PM

I just went out and got a Gap Commuter Bag as well, and this is after ordering the Boot from spireusa.com. I was happy with the boot, but not happy that I didn't get pockets for stuff. The Gap bag was 17, compared to the 30 of the boot, and instead of just a sleeve, I now have a sleeve and a bag. The bag is nice, with pockets for just about everything you can think of, and the sleeve fits much more nicely than the sleeve from spire, although the material isn't as nice. For the bargain bag hunter, this is a must buy.
tbuh

new2macs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 05:27 PM

After reading how many people were buying the gap messenger bags, I wanted to issue a word of warning. I bought the gap messenger bag to use to carry a couple of notebooks to and from class, and after having it for about 2 months the stitching from the handle came undone and the bag fell apart on my way to class. I returned it to the Gap and they gave me a new one, but the same thing has happened to that one. I don't know if I want to bother returning it and getting a third bag. I think I'll just end up using fishing line and restitching the bag myself, but I don't know if I would trust putting my knew ibook in the bag for fear of what else may break while I'm walking around.

�Drew�
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 03:18 AM

After seeing the G.A.P. bag, I picked one up too. Here in Anchorage, they were only $9.99 - couldn't pass up such a bargain. I snagged the last of the black ones.

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2001, 06:16 AM

After reading about the GAP bags being such a bargain I went in search. Had to go to two GAP store, and when I did find them they were unceremoniously piled on top of a rack of ladies clothing. Don't give up if you go looking for one - ask.

I must say though - this is an incredible bargain ($16.00 - FL)!!!! Great bag and the added padded sleeve is the perfect size. Of all the bags I have looked at this bag suits the iBook best IMHO.

I may try to post some pictures today if anyone is interested.

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 12:25 PM

Has anyone tried the TiBag (http://home.san.rr.com/tibag/) with the iBook? It looks pretty cool and is fairly inexpensive but is made for the TiBook. I wrote the guy who makes them, and he claims it fits the TiBook like a glove. So I'm thinking that, because of the way the TiBook slips into the TiBag, it may fit the new iBook also. I know that the TiBook is thinner than the iBook, but it's also a bit deeper, which may make up for the difference in thickness.

Jug-dish

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2001, 12:40 PM

Bluehz,

Yes! Please post pictures!
Apple user since 1987

oranjdisc
Senior User
Jun 11, 2001, 09:41 AM

I wish I had a digital camera so everyone can see it, but I too ran out and grabbed one of those Gap commuter bags.

The thing is perfect for the ibook, and only $16 (here in Atlanta, marked down from $35).

They come in three colors -- light blue with black trim, khaki with black trim, and a shimmery gray/green color that looks the best IMO.

The coolest thing is that it comes with a removable black velcro sleeve inside which perfectly holds the ibook. You then have plenty of extra room inside for a mouse, power plug, CDs, whatever. I think it has enough room for my firewire HD, but haven't tried it yet.

And oh yeah, it's got a cell phone pouch on the side.

For the money, you can't go wrong.

Delosic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 12:27 PM

I have to second New2Macs experience with the Gap commuter bag. Not to rain on anyone's parade but I have had problems with the bag literally falling apart on me as well. If you like the bag and the price, more power to you, but please keep an eye on the stitching, especially on the shoulder strap, so no new iBooks go tumbling onto the pavement!

Delosic

<ichthus_2003>
Jun 11, 2001, 02:45 PM

For what its worth,

I emailed Spire USA http://www.spireusa.com with an inquiry about which one of their backpacks would be best for my needs, and would fit the iBook the best. An employee emailed me back saying that they were currently field testing a bag that would fufill my needs and fit the iBook like a glove. This bag will be available in mid-july. I am going to wait for them to release this bag. I'm not sure what your price range is, but this pack would be priced below their ZoomXL line (which is $135.00) Check out their website, their bags are top shelf!

bezzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2001, 05:49 PM

I picked up one of those computer sleeves made by the North Face. For me it is perfect. The iBook fits in like the sleeve was made for it! I like the small size to that I can slip it into my backpack, shoulder bag, whatever I feel like.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2001, 05:54 PM

Just bringing this topic back to the forfront - I think a good backpack/case is the most important item you can purchase for your travelin' iBook. Any new backpacks out there?

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

JAFO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2001, 02:56 AM

I have been looking for something a bit more conventional that would just be large enough to hold my iBook and a few accessories. I finally found a case made by Targus that fits my new book nicely. Check it out at : http://www.targus.com/case_nylon_spe...+TOTE&sku=CN20

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2001, 09:39 PM

I went back to check out spireusa as recommended above. The "Atom" backpack comes with a sleeve and is fully padded for a computer the size (or maybe a bit bigger) than the iBook. Looks to be an excellent backpack with the added feature of a "free" sleeve.
Here's the link: http://www.spireusa.com/products/notebook/atom/atom.htm

Ken

hobiecat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by wild9
:
<STRONG>He-Hee.

I MEANt to say "13" wide", not 10". Oops.

Maybe it would work after all!

Goodness. I hate bag shopping. I just want a tight fitting bag that I can wear like a messanger bag with JUST my new iBook and maybe a notebook and pens. Less is more for me.</STRONG>
If you're looking for a minimalist bag take a look at this one... http://store.yahoo.com/goincase/laptopsleeve.html
or the Sleevcase from Waterfield Design... http://www.sfbags.com/index_1.htm

Walden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 09:57 PM

Have a look at this simple courier style bag from Burton Snowboards.
http://www.burton.com/gear/product.asp?id=1005530

The Stylus is a mini-version of their well acclaimed DJ Bag, which would also work. The iBook fits perfectly in the main compartment with little room for anything else...save for a few paperbacks and the power cord.
I put my iBook in a thin nylon sleeve to protect it and carry it around in this bag. The weight is fine with the strap supplied, but the padding is in the wrong place with the bag properly slung behind the back (and not purse style). You can find your local Burton dealer on their site.
Enjoy

amrosario
Jun 29, 2001, 12:34 AM

I'll just share my bag experiences...

In addition to the Jansport bag I listed above, I also picked up a nice backpage from Spire http://www.spireusa.com called the Zoom XL. It is one of THE best backpack's I've owned, mainly due to the straps. I own a Lowe Pro bag that was designed for so called "digital journalists" which is designed to carry the Wallstreet Powerbook as well as having various pouched for digital cameras and stuff. Great bag, except that it is BIG and heavy. I'm still going to keep it because it makes a great weekend bag - holds clothes and the iBook and all the stuff I'll shelp for a weekend away.

The Spire Zoom XL is just the right size for the iBook and other support items such as extra batteries, power cord, external firewire drive, Handspring Visor, and newspapers and such. The straps on this bag are incredibly comfortable, making it a pleasure to carry around all day. Also, the computer is put into a slot that does not rest against your back which seems to add to the comfort of this bag. After a long day of using the iBook and it's put away in this bag, the residual heat from the iBok is not resting directly against your body.

I also bought an iBook sleeve from Waterfield Design http://www.sfbags.com/index_1.htmwhich I first slip the iBook into and then fit it into the Zoom XL backpack. The sleeve is quite elegant and nicely designed. Simple, padded. A real nice addition.

I still want to find a Body Glove - like suit for the iBook for those times when I don't want to show off the Apple logo. I had one for one of my earlier Powerbook and I liked it. The only problem was sith the heat build-up.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: amrosario ]
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 01:14 PM

I have a nice LL Bean rucksack-style backpack that's great, so I just wanted a simple sleeve-type case for my iBook, to go into the LL Bean bag.

The North Face computer sleeve fit the bill perfectly. Here's why:

1) It fits the iBook like a glove.

2) The opening is on the "top" (short side), which is perfect, since that is how it fits in the backpack. I can take my iBook out of the sleeve without having to take the sleeve out of the backpack.

3) The sleeve has two additional pockets - a zipper pocket which would hold a couple of CDs, and an open pocket which easily holds the power adapter and my Logitech Mouseman Wheel (not a small mouse).

4) The sleeve has a handle and a strap which secures the pockets and the main compartment closed. I can carry just the sleeve in a pinch.

5) Only $20.

6) I could buy it at the North Face store down the street from my office.

The only drawback is that the inside of the case is not made of anything soft, and the case itself does not have much built-in cushioning. But it makes a perfect backpack companion!
Don

Forum Links
Forum Rules