Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best accessories for iBook (dual USB)

Best accessories for iBook (dual USB)
ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 01:51 AM

Hey everyone,

There is a topic like this over on the Powerbook forum for the Tibooks...thought we deserved one in our iBook forum! Basically, just a topic for listing, with web links and even pics if possible, the best accessories you can suggest for using with your new 'book. Anything goes as long as you can use it with your new (and I guess older version) iBook.

My contribution to this topic (mentioned in other posts but a great accessory which I use constantly and deserves recognition) is the iBook SleevCase by SFbags/Waterfield Designs. Nice job by this company to come out with a case specifically designed for the new iBook so soon after the release of the computer (try SFbags.com or http://203.147.248.218/index_1.htm

Looking forward to some cool accessory posts here.

Ken

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: ATC Ken ]

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: ATC Ken ]
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 09:34 AM

Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 12:48 PM

do a search in these topics as this exact topic was covered. it lists some good things to get for the iBook.
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 03:42 PM

do a search in these topics as this exact topic was covered. it lists some good things to get for the iBook.
Unfortunately the search since the forum change has been useless - I've yet to be able to complete a single search.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 8, 2001, 04:08 PM

About the Search:

Really sorry about that, but Infopop has really fuxored the search mechanism. By Thursday I'll have reindexed and rebuilt the forum data and search indices, so that should work better. You still have to search by member number, but we're trying to find ways around that because it's a pain for us too.

HTH
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 05:06 PM

Okay, here is the list from memory of my stuff, and some from other peoples posts. It was a topic of interest to me also, so I have a pretty decent recall on them:

My list:
1. 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable (to do Target Disk Mode transfers between Macs)
2. FlyLight
3. Apple AV Cable
4. Retractable phone cable
5. USB Apple optical mouse (so you do not need a mouse pad)
5. North Face computer sleeve bag (minimalist bag)

Others:
1. Airport & card(s)
2. extra battery
3. extra power adaptor (one for home and road)
4. some blank cdrws if you got a cdrw model
5. lcd screen cleaner

that is all for now...may edit if I think of others later or until the older posts come back
eTard.....don't be one

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 05:45 PM

Here's my subission: Kensington FlyLight

Now with two USB ports I'll be able to light my keyboard AND listen to music with my SoundSticks. Well, I'll be able to when my new iBook arrives...

-Doug

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 05:47 PM

Those are some great accessories you mentioned. Is it possible to purchase the AV cable anywhere other than from the Apple Store? Also, what exactly is an LCD screen cleaner? I can tell what it does, but what's it like? And why would you need two separate power adapters unless you wanted one at home and one to stay at the office or something? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>Those are some great accessories you mentioned. Is it possible to purchase the AV cable anywhere other than from the Apple Store? Also, what exactly is an LCD screen cleaner? I can tell what it does, but what's it like? And why would you need two separate power adapters unless you wanted one at home and one to stay at the office or something? Thanks.</STRONG>
you can get the Av cable at Outpost.com or virtually any authorized reseller of mac products.

as for the LCD screen cleaner.....it is a very hi tech term for a nice soft static free cloth......now that you know, I have to track you down and kill you

you are right about the need for 1 power adpators..only if you travel or work and home, etc.
eTard.....don't be one

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 06:39 PM

Well I would think that even if you travel, you wouldn't need an extra adapter JUST for travelling. Now if you commute every few days or every week, I guess I could understand, but I travel so infrequently that I can stand to disconnect the adaptor from my wall socket and pack it in my bag when I'm leaving.
Apple user since 1987

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 08:03 PM

The MiniPro Mouse www.contourdesign.com comes in it's own very small plastic case; helps keep the cord from getting bent. IBook, flylight, power unit, mouse fit in pockets of North Face Sleeve. I travel with this next to me; very small ande compact.

HC

<avadapter>
Jun 8, 2001, 09:17 PM

The Apple AV adapter isn't Apple specific, that type of connecter also ships with many camcorders. Radio Shack should be able to get one, or may have it in stock. I'm not sure what it's called. I would have rathered the AV cable ship with the iBook than the VGA... I never use VGA

ATC Ken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 09:58 PM

Anyone used or have experience with the AC airplane adapters? Curious how this works...I noticed some of these items at www.laptoptravel.com.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 02:21 AM

I would have rathered the AV cable ship with the iBook than the VGA... I never use VGA
Me too, but I can see why they did it. If they didn't ship it with the RGB adapter they would have had a port that functionally did nothing on the iBook, and what percentage of reviews do you think would have mentioned that? (my guess is 110%). As it is, the A/V port still acts as the headphone jack which will probably be its primary function anyway.

I got mine from Apple - its so pretty and white with the cute colored plugs

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 02:30 AM

Anyone used or have experience with the AC airplane adapters? Curious how this works...I noticed some of these items at www.laptoptravel.com.

Never used them though I know that only some airlines have the EmPower plugs and often only in business and/or first class.

You might want to look here too: Madsonline.com"]http://www.madsonline.com/G4PM.html]Madsonline.com[/URL][/url]
Their prices seem to be a bit cheaper. I just ordered a car adapter that doubles as an airline one. (not that I fly enough to worry about it.)

MUGlover
Jun 11, 2001, 03:16 PM

Many good suggestions. Here is a Non-USB light I saw in a bookstore whose first initial is just B.

The Flexi Long Reach Flashlight (about $10) by Zelco.com uses 2 AAA batteries. A flat oval case encloses the batteries and a flexible light neck wrap around the oval (overall smaller than the iBook power adapter). The light uses a small bulb. The 9" flexible neck (black in color) stays in any position. The case for the batteries comes in red, blue, yellow, or black.

This would address the concerns of those who need a light and do not wish to run it off the USB port. It is also more than just a keyboard light. I have no idea how long the batteries last; I just saw it in the store (and thought of you). -Jim

kani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by ATC Ken:
[QB]Hey everyone,

There is a topic like this over on the Powerbook forum for the Tibooks...thought we deserved one in our iBook forum! Basically, just a topic for listing, with web links and even pics if possible, the best accessories you can suggest for using with your new 'book. Anything goes as long as you can use it with your new (and I guess older version) iBook.
[QB]
How about these: the USB GPS-adapter and map-software
http://www.usbstuff.com/gps.html http://www.route66.nl/

Hope they get out the OS X version of route 66 soon!

Does anyone know how the pc usb irda-accessories work with the ibook and OS X?? I'd love to have an irda-port.

Cheers,

Joakim

ATC Ken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 03:16 PM

How about a screen protector? I believe the company name is J & K Hill - they make one for the G3 and G4 powerbooks. Basically it is a fitted piece of leather that lays on top of the keyboard when the laptop is closed. Actually, I'm really not sure that this is necessary for the iBook - I thought the keys didn't touch the screen with the lid closed. Anyway, here is a link for this now available screen protector for the new 'books.
http://www.powerbookcentral.com/news...2532623,97535,

Ken

Forum Links
Forum Rules