Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook backpacks?

ibook backpacks?
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2001, 11:55 PM

Hey all, as I await my dvd ibook (can't wait much longer :-( ), I am looking into an ibook backpack. I need something that can hold my ibook, and 1-2 notebooks and 1 textbook. I can't find anything on the web. Any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Mel

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2001, 12:13 AM

check another forum side "need another laptop bag again.,..

about 20 down list

geek77
May 15, 2001, 12:49 AM

Check these out: http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_c1120.html

The Saddlebag has backpack straps that unzip from the back. 2 notebooks and a text shouldn't be a problem.

I just bought one. The case is nice. But Kensington's customer service sucks. I ordered the case and their usb light, five minutes later I realized that their was a package for an extra 10-15 bucks that included the case, light, security cable and a portable surge protector, So I tried to cancel my order by contacting their customer service via email (the recommended method). Their quoted response time is 24 hours. 48 hours later, no response, but the package shipped! So I emailed another customer service address for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. That was last week. Still no response from anyone at Kensington. I decided it would be easier to just keep what I got, because I DO like the stuff, and never buy anything from them ever again.

I'd like to say that Kensington's customer service sucks, but I'm not sure they even have a customer service department....

[This message has been edited by geek77 (edited 05-15-2001).]

wild9
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 01:05 AM

Design your own!! It's really cool!
http://www.timbuk2.com
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2001, 01:07 AM

will post twice 1st post

outpost.com

iPack iBook Case/Graphite
Sumdex (iPack):
sku #: 53822
Constructed of lightweight, wear resistant and
water-repellent satin nylon, the iPack is ideal
for students and commuters.

In stock, same day shipping

Price:
$

Ambria
May 15, 2001, 01:14 AM

I am hoping to order my dvd tomorrow ... but have already found the perfect bag . I don't buy expensive items too often, so when I do I want something that will really last. I found a nice one. It's a leather "saddle bag" style bag from wilson leather. I found one on their site i *thought* was what I was looking for, but then went to the store and found one even better that had just been released.

I'll try to descibe the best I can, it's a little different.

it's almost completely square (about 13x13) and the entire front is a big pocket . I tested with a notebook and there will be plenty of room for the ibook, even in just the outside pocket. You can flip the entire front up and underneath is another, slightly larger pocket. i am estimating you could fit several notebooks inside. There's also pockets for pens and little things like ... vga adapters! Then there is another pocket on the back so you can slip flat items like magazines.

The thing that sold it for me is that it doesn't look like a backpack and it doesn't look like a laptop case, but there's lots of room. you can also adjust the straps so it can be carried as either a backpack or a bag. the leather is soft too ... not stiff.

it is a little of a bite out of the wallet. $60.00, but will last a long time.

ok, now all I need is the computer!

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

geek77
May 15, 2001, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Ambria:
it is a little of a bite out of the wallet. $60.00, but will last a long time.
$60.00 is pretty reasonable for a laptop bag. In fact, I'd have to try pretty hard to find one for much less than that.

Ambria
May 15, 2001, 01:43 AM

ok ... I know I gave a bad description. So here are pictures
http://homepage.mac.com/realloghomes/PhotoAlbum4.html

I know $60 isn't too bad ... but I'm REALLY cheap

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

zappy
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by wild9:
Design your own!! It's really cool!
http://www.timbuk2.com
What size would you recommend for the new iBook?

Regards

zeltrio
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by Ambria:
ok ... I know I gave a bad description. So here are pictures
http://homepage.mac.com/realloghomes/PhotoAlbum4.html

I know $60 isn't too bad ... but I'm REALLY cheap

I know I shouldn't post useless messages like this...because they waste bandwidth or whatever....but....lol...i laughed really really loud when I saw that hehe....in fact...I choked on my water....you....almost....killed me! hehe

Well I thought of something to add so this wasn't a complete waste of bandwidth..Has anone seen a sort of 'wetsuit' type case for the new iBook yet? I had one for my old lombard that was nice. I've seen a couple of sleeve like cases on ebags.com that look nice.

-z

------------------
"Fight and fear not for the gates of paradise lie under the shade of the sword!"

[This message has been edited by zeltrio (edited 05-15-2001).]
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

Danni
May 16, 2001, 08:10 PM

To the poster of the Kensington saddlebag,

I don't know who you talked to but I can say that they offer excellent service and a super lifetime warranty. A rivet in my 3 year old SaddleBag broke and they promptly shipped me another bag with no questions asked once I explained what happened. They even told me to keep the old bag which is still perfectly serviceable as a regular bag or backpack. (The rivet holds a metal reinforcement bar below the handle in the top of the bag.) I will definitely buy from them again with that kind of warranty!

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 05:10 PM

Hi,

I have a brand new iBook (dual USB) and thought I'd pass on my case suggestion. Actually, it's not really a case but a padded sleeve. Fits my iBook very snug and has a velcro strap to secure the top. This sleeve case can be used by itself to carry around your iBook or you can put it inside a larger backpack.

Check out the "sleeve cases" made by Waterfield Designs. They also have backpacks and saddlebags. Cost of this sleeve case was $38.00 and I opted for express shipping (2-day). Came to $46.00.
Got it today and I am very pleased.

The web site link is: http://www.sfbags.com

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
May 18, 2001, 04:25 PM

Whatever bag you choose, it's a good idea to get one with a zipper that can be locked with a small travel lock, for obvious reasons. Much as everyone loves them, I'd avoid saddlebags. They're probably the easiest bags from which someone can just reach in and lift away your expensive new baby and you generally can't lock them.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Forum Links
Forum Rules