Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > how mauch ram?

how mauch ram?
weric
Jan 7, 2000, 01:54 AM

i have an iMac 233 rev A. we're talking the original iMac. what is the maximum amount of ram i can install in it?

thanks.

pscates
Jan 7, 2000, 02:34 AM

I'm pretty sure it is 128MB.

tke918
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2000, 03:40 AM

My rev.A iMac has 160M(32+128).

marc
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2000, 09:40 AM

If you take out the original 32 MB you can have 256 (128 + 128). Be specific when ordering, though, they are not the same size (the original chip is a low height design).

pscates
Jan 7, 2000, 02:07 PM

Damn...could I be any further off?

Sorry

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2000, 01:31 AM

pscates--you weren't the ony one!I also thought it was 128.Sheesh
Bill

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2000, 01:56 AM

Actually, the original iMac uses the same ram as the Powerbook G3 (wallstreet). Within the last couple of weeks companys began shipping "low profile" 256mb dimms. There are also full height 256mb dimms. This means if you remove the factory installed ram, and replace it with a "low profile" 256, then add a full height 256 in the top slot, your max is 512mb! I have a wallstreet and wish I could do this, but believe me its not cheap. Lowest I've seen is $649 for full 256 and $699 for low.

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2000, 02:29 AM

While we're on the subject: I have a revA(96)that purrs.I also have a DV with (192).
I was wondering,going from 192 to 256 really make that much differents?
The 64 that came with the DV is the 322S,and I can pick up another 128 for $100,
new.Long story,(Christmas gift that one of my neighbors got.He has a ibm,and the chip
is 128-16x64-3,3v-168 with a life time wart.) 222S and it fits/works!
I really don't use that much apps,but for the price--WELL?
BILL

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2000, 03:59 PM

If you have 192 and never find yourself running out of RAM, don't bother upgrading to 256... unless you're one of those people who either brags about the amount of RAM they have or simply feels better about themselves by knowing that they have all that RAM.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2000, 09:37 PM

Actually, I disagree. If he has a DV, he may find himself doing video, and the more RAM the better for that purpose. Giving iMovie or (when it's compatible) Final Cut Pro that extra 64MB of RAM will help loads.
Other apps like PhotoShop benefit as well. If you are just using IE and Word, it may be not well spent.

Scott

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2000, 01:10 AM

slboett Member posted 01-08-2000 08:37 PM

Actually, I disagree. If he has a DV, he may find himself doing video, and the more RAM the better for that purpose. Giving iMovie or (when it's compatible) Final Cut Pro that extra 64MB of RAM will help loads. Other apps like PhotoShop benefit as well. If you are just using IE and Word, it may be not well spent.

Scott

HI Scott! Yes I have a DV.
All of you're post above is correct"maybe someday", except IE and Word. Netscape/appleworks.
I have OS 8.6 still. Who knows I might take the plunge and go for OS 9.

I have a question!
A few months ago my system file got corrupted on my Rev A. My own mistake.
Anyway I got out the old orange Cd "install" and its been fine since.
I've made a copy of system file and put it in my back up zip/supper Disk etc.

I've done the same thing with this DV,I know one doesn't fit the other.

My question is will that work!?

BILL!--
<font size=0><font color="dcdcdc">

[This message has been edited by palws (edited 04-16-2000).]

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2000, 01:23 AM

...No, he was not bragging - but I will. I have about eight G4/450's on order with 1GB of RAM! Now that's cool. RAM envy? NO. ANyone who pushes the Mac ot it's limits can use as much RAM as they can afford.
My personal feeling is that Apple shouldn't even sell a Mac without 128MB of RAM. You can argue that all you want to, but VM sucks and I will never recommend a system to anyone with less.
At work, no graphics systems have LESS than 512MB. NOt only that, most have between 50 and 100GB local hard drive space including RAID volumes.

As for your question Bill, I think I understand you. You can take the System or Finder for Mac OS ROM form the CD and expect it to work right - as long as it was the same version as the one you replaced. It's quite common for the CD to become outdated and not "sync" with your current system. As for the RAM, I just ordered another 128MB for my DV SE iMac. 256MB will do but it WILL be at 512MB as soon as I have the cash.

Scott

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2000, 02:04 AM

Scott Thanks!
I think you understood my question.
Have to split,gota milk the cows in the morn.
BILL--

joeaux
Jan 9, 2000, 12:39 PM

"a fends"?
-joe-

------------------
iMac (Lime 266 OS 9), iBook (Tangerine 300 OS 9), SE/30 (Platinum 16 OS 7.5.5)

lasslo
Mar 22, 2000, 11:41 PM

Hello all,

I was just cruising the web and saw this site... Very cool I might add. I am in the process of looking into adding RAM, blah blah blah. I have a RevA Imac.. With 96Mb of happy RAM. After reading all the posts, i'm under the impression i can go up to 512mb of ram (256+256). Is this truly possible? I was just looking into purching the 256mb chip w/ my 32mb(www.memorytogo.com has 256mb costing $220!). 288MB sounded good to me.
thanks for anyone who replies,
David
[email protected]

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2000, 12:15 PM

My first post in this forum was about ram. I was still using the original 32 that came in my Rev.B! I don't know if it's bragging rights, or just the fact that I have learned so much from the posts and the nifty little instructions I find on here, but I can't stop upgrading. iMaxPowr, V2, bigger hard drive, and 2 128 chips! Before I came to MacNN I had never even thought to open this thing up, and I had owned it for over a year. I love it, but my check book hates you all.... lol
Nemo me impune lacesset

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2000, 07:52 PM

Wow deja vu! Tadashi seems to have the answer on the max iMac RAM thing:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001806.html

As for bragging? Gee, so many things that I can't quite choose

Forum Links
Forum Rules