Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OPERA 6 beta 1 is out

OPERA 6 beta 1 is out
solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 04:39 AM

I just noticed that opera 6 b1 is out on versiontracker and I downloaded it and it definetly a beta. I would classify it as a early alpha but thats my opinion!

Whats everyone elses opinion?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 06:40 AM

Very slow, very unstable, very ugly -> not worth downloading.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 25, 2002, 07:43 AM

It hasn't crashed on me yet, the pages scroll fast when the page is loaded, but the UI. Oh dear, the UI.

It truly is a mess, it's nasty with bits all over the place, everything. Bit of a mess really.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 08:48 AM

Kinda speedy. Kinda. Not as fast a Chimera; often it got stuck on something and refused to load it. And my God. The UI. Looks like it came straight from a piece of Windows bloatware. Don't bother.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 09:18 AM

Ugly and a disorganized GUI, but it didn't crash on me in about 30 minutes of use. Decent speed. But nothing about it strikes me as making it worthwhile to keep this on my machine.
If future builds get back to what used to be Opera's impressive speed (pre-OS X), I'll take another look at it.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2002, 10:07 AM

/Applications/Opera 6b1....

command + delete

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 10:53 AM

Hmm. Funny. You see, Opera has great CSS and Javascript support - exactly the kind of thing that people here bitch about OmniWeb. However, it seems people don't like it because it's not as pretty as OmniWeb.

So, looks really do count ? Or are speed and compatibility not really that important after all ?

FWIW I've not tried this version yet, but Opera is my main browser on Windows, and I love it.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
However, it seems people don't like it because it's not as pretty as OmniWeb.
It's not as pretty as Internet Explorer. It's not even as pretty as Mozilla. Heck, it's not as pretty as that thing I saw the dog do down the street yesterday. It's revolting. Really.

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Hmm. Funny. You see, Opera has great CSS and Javascript support - exactly the kind of thing that people here bitch about OmniWeb. However, it seems people don't like it because it's not as pretty as OmniWeb.

So, looks really do count ? Or are speed and compatibility not really that important after all ?

FWIW I've not tried this version yet, but Opera is my main browser on Windows, and I love it.
Looks are important to me my web browser as they are in my significant others:

They don't matter 1st and foremost, but dear god they can ruin a lot.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 12:08 PM

i'd like to improt my bookmarks into the main opera bookmarks, not as a separate hotlist. how can i friggin do this?
i look in your general direction

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 04:32 PM

I can't see why people would use a browser with a big, fat and blinking advertizing banner permanently on the window ... and before I would pay for a browser which isn't as mature as others (except for the version number) while others are free it must really be better.

-

Jowy
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2002, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
i'd like to improt my bookmarks into the main opera bookmarks, not as a separate hotlist. how can i friggin do this?
I had problems w/ this as well. What I did was export my Moz bookmarks, select the Import Bookmarks and select the bookmarks under the File menu in Opera. And then I did a select all, Copy, selected all of the bookmarks in the main bookmarks window that it insisted on using and deleted those. I then pasted my bookmarks in and all was well. Opera likes to play hardball when dealing w/ the bookmarks.

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 10:36 PM

My comments on Opera 6:

It is much improved from bersion 5, but...

Opera has said that they have made efforts to make the program more mac-like, but the toolbar buttons still bevel and depress, the striping is attrocious, etc. This is an area that needs a lot of work.

Speed is good. In fact the rendering speed is amazing, but the network access is pitifully slow which slows down the whole process. Still using antiquated classic programming techniques. Maybe they should concentrate on creating a browser for OS X since there are descent browsers for 9.

The command keys need to be remapped. CMD-T for a new tab etc. This is simply my personal preference and some may like the CMD-SFT combos.

The stupid bar at the bottom. This problem is not mac specific.

Oh, and would it be too dificult to set the default settings to what most users would like?

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Jowy:

I had problems w/ this as well. What I did was export my Moz bookmarks, select the Import Bookmarks and select the bookmarks under the File menu in Opera. And then I did a select all, Copy, selected all of the bookmarks in the main bookmarks window that it insisted on using and deleted those. I then pasted my bookmarks in and all was well. Opera likes to play hardball when dealing w/ the bookmarks.
oh duh, good old cut and paste <smacks head>. Thanks for that.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules