Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > apps in classic can't see into SAN

apps in classic can't see into SAN
tz3gm
Senior User
May 9, 2003, 04:04 PM

hi there,

i've noticed a problem with apps in classic not being able to see into our snap server, they can see and connect to the snap server, but as far as seeing documents in the snap server, all they come up with is a blank window...is this a known issue of classic or can someone pls. help me figure this out

thanks

tz3gm  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2003, 11:03 PM

okay guys..

so no one knows? 29 people have reviewd my thread and not a single one knows what i am talking about...can someone pls. help me...

thanks

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 04:31 AM

What's a SNAP server ? or do you mean SAN ?

geekwagon
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 04:32 AM

More info needed to be able to help..

Which model of Snap server? Also, you can connect to a Snap in a multitude of different ways (NFS, SMB, IPX/SPX, prob even Appleshare on some models.) How are you connecting to the server, using the classic chooser or using OS X's Connect To Server?

BTW, just a nitpick but that is actually a NAS (Network Attached Storage) not a SAN (Storage Area Network.) I'm a storage administrator and that is a pet peave of mine. Rule of thumb, if the storage connects to the same network you connect computers with, and needs to have things like IP addresses, it is NAS. For example, Snap servers, NetAPP filers, etc.

If the storage devices are connected directly together with hosts over a seperate network (usually fibre channel) and the hosts then make the storage available to your addressed network, that is a SAN.

Sorry for the nitpick but I feel it is important to keep the terms straight.

tz3gm  (op)
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 10:13 PM

okay, it's a snap server, and i'm trying to connect in OS 9 classic mode in OS X, via a classic app such as photoshop 5 or quark 4, so we connect via the finder chooser and then the snap will show up on the desktop, but when you browse via the file open menu, then the contents of the snap are empty...but in OS 9, it works....

thanks

More info needed to be able to help..

Which model of Snap server? Also, you can connect to a Snap in a multitude of different ways (NFS, SMB, IPX/SPX, prob even Appleshare on some models.) How are you connecting to the server, using the classic chooser or using OS X's Connect To Server?

BTW, just a nitpick but that is actually a NAS (Network Attached Storage) not a SAN (Storage Area Network.) I'm a storage administrator and that is a pet peave of mine. Rule of thumb, if the storage connects to the same network you connect computers with, and needs to have things like IP addresses, it is NAS. For example, Snap servers, NetAPP filers, etc.

If the storage devices are connected directly together with hosts over a seperate network (usually fibre channel) and the hosts then make the storage available to your addressed network, that is a SAN.

Sorry for the nitpick but I feel it is important to keep the terms straight.
[/QUOTE]

Forum Links
Forum Rules